查看原文
其他

你以为努力就能涨工资?那你就真的努力错方向了

2018-03-05 沪江英语



M 最近很不开心,因为一个入职比她晚很多的同事升职了,而她还留在原地。

M has been very unhappy lately because a coworker who got hired much later than she did is promoted instead of her.


更让她不开心的是,她并不觉得这个同事多有能力。

What pissed her off even more is that she doesn’t see much competence in this coworker.


M 觉得自己的业务能力明显更优秀一些。

M feels she has significantly better working skills than this newly-promoted colleague.


事实上也确实如此,不管是业务能力还是相关领域的知识,都是 M 更胜一筹。

In fact, it is true that M beats this coworker whether in skills or knowledge.


而且不光如此,M 还是个精益求精的人,她常常因为觉得事情做得不够好而默默加班加点。

Adding to that, M is a person who strives for perfection, as she often works overtime voluntarily trying to do a better job.


当一个项目有她参与的时候,往往能顺利进行,甚至超出预期。

A project with her participation often goes well and even exceeds expectation.


她不知道那个没有阅历、话多、而且总是出错的同事为什么会晋升得比她快。

She wonders why this colleague who has less experience, talks too much and always makes mistakes is promoted faster than she is.


这一切都让 M 感到非常愤愤不平。

All these make M feel very indignant.



反,S 最近则过得很愉快。

On the other hand, S has a great time recently.


她的职级提升了,工资也涨了。

She is promoted and her salary is raised.


她的主管,以她主管的主管,现在都很信任她,甚至开始和她成为朋友。

Her supervisor and even her supervisor’s supervisor now trust her very much and even became friends with her.


更值得开心的是:她是团队里资历最浅的几个人之一。

What makes her happier is that she is one of the least experienced people in the team.


有好几个她入职时的前辈,现在的职级已经比她低了。

Several coworkers who were already there when she got hired now have a lower job title than her.


她觉得自己一直以来的努力没有白费。

She felt that her long time efforts had not been in vain.


这让她觉得职场这条路充满了希望,让她有了变得更好的勇气,也让她的很多不安都烟消云散。

She now feels hopeful in her career and has the courage to become even better. And she started to feel much less anxious.


而那几个被她超过的人当中,就包括 M。

And M is one of those coworkers who got surpassed by S.



是同一个故事的两个侧面。

These are just the two sides of the same story.


在 M 眼里,S 是那个靠耍小聪明上位的反派人物。

In M’s eyes, S is the villain who only gets promoted because of her petty tricks.


但从 S 的角度看,这是一个十全十美的奋斗故事。

But from S’s point of view, this is a perfect inspiring story.


而如果从一个旁观者的角度来看,你很有可能会站在 M 的一边。

And as a bystander, you may very likely side with M.


毕竟,她代表的不正是我们一直被教导的那种美德吗?

After all, she represents the same kind of virtue that we have always been taught.


做事精益求精,努力积累知识,不声张,脚踏实地。

We were taught to pursue excellence, accumulate knowledge, and keep things quiet and down to earth.



而,这种行事风格真的就无可厚非吗?

However, is this working style always right?


并不是。

No.


确实,作为一个职场人,你应该把手头上的工作做到最好。

Indeed, as an employee, you should do your best to finish the job at hand.


但这只是基础中的基础,是你理应完成的,它并不是你的核心竞争力,甚至不是你最需要花力气的地方。

But this is only the basic of the basic, something you are supposed to do rather than your core competence. It is not even where you need to put most efforts.


如果你以为光是做这个就理所应当获得升职,那就太幼稚了。

You would be too naive to think that you can get promoted for doing the job you are supposed to do.


你,作为一个职场人,真正的核心任务,是帮你的上司解决他们的问题。

Your main task, as an employee, is helping your supervisors solve their problems.



们都有各自的工作,都有各自要处理的问题,他们也都各自需要得到自己上司的认可。

They all have their own jobs and their own problems to deal with, and they also need their boss’s approval.


正是因为这样,才会雇用你来处理他们那些任务的下级任务。

It is for this reason that they hire you to handle the subordinate tasks of their tasks.


他们并没有义务去观察你的所有举动然后给你小红花。

They do not have an obligation to observe all your actions and give you a pat on the back.


而且他们通常也没有时间这么做。

Not to say that they usually do not have time to do that.


是你有义务去创造价值并让自己的价值被看到。

It is your obligation to create value and make your value visible.


是你应该主动去创造机会让他们认识你、信任你。

You should take the initiative to create opportunities for them to get to know you and get to trust you.


而如果你做的只是在背地里抱怨没人看到你的努力,那你就和一个哭着要糖的小孩子没两样了。

If all you’re doing is complaining bitterly about nobody recognizing your efforts, you’re no different from a kid crying for candies.



万不能指望别人去主动发现你的能力。

Do not expect others to take the initiative to discover your ability.


这不是他们的责任,而是你的责任。

This is not their but your own responsibility.


懂得如何展示自己的能力,也是你能力的一部分。

Knowing how to demonstrate your ability is part of your ability.


你呢

你具备这种能力吗?



▽想拥有像声优一样流利的口语吗?▽



快扫描下面二维码,体验1对1外教口语吧


编辑:梅园西墙的王半仙

您可能也对以下帖子感兴趣

文章有问题?点此查看未经处理的缓存