查看原文
其他

双语 | 如果你觉得自己很失败,那么就来看看这个视频吧!

点击加关注👉 高中英语教学交流网 2023-03-09



I've been there.

我也有过失败。


You've been there.

你也有过失败。


We've all been there.

我们都有过失败。


A big test or a competition is on the line.

一场大考或比赛迫在眉睫。


And you know you've put everything you had in preparation.

你知道你已经做好所有的准备了。


And yet, you still don't get the result you want.

然而,结果仍不如人意。


You don't feel good.

你很失望。


You feel you've failed.

你觉得你失败了。


So, let's take over this.

怎么避免这种情绪呢?


First and foremost, let's define failure.

首先,让我们来定义一下失败。


If you're expecting something super clean and clear, sorry to say, it's not.

如果你想要一个非常清晰明了的定义,那很抱歉,没有。


Failure is a subjective thing, as is success.

失败是主观的,成功也是主观的。


Every person defines it differently for themselves.

每个人对它的定义都不同。


For example, an interesting take on failure was stated by Thomas Edison, who said, I have not failed 10,000 times.

例如,托马斯·爱迪生对失败的看法就很有趣,他说:我这不是失败了一万次。


I've successfully found 10,000 ways that will not work.

我这是成功地找到了一万种行不通的方法。


The definition is based on your values and expectations.

这个定义是基于你的价值观和期望值。


And you are unique to you.

你,是独一无二的。


Sometimes, though, we let outside parties, like friends or family, define it for us.

然而,有时朋友或家人等外部因素对其的定义会影响到我们。


Despite our very definitions of failure, the one common thing that we all share is the initial feeling of failing really sucks.

尽管我们对失败有自己的定义,但我们都有一个共同点,那就是失败一开始给人的感觉真的很糟。


So, let's look at several ways on how we could change our perspective on failure.

因此,让我们一起来看看,如何改变我们对失败的看法,这里有几种方法可供参考。


Take the edge off the sting.

脱掉失败带刺的外壳。


And make it work for us.

让失败成为我们前进的动力。


1

failure is your biggest teacher

失败是人生最好的老师


Society really pushes emphasis on success and tends to ignore failure.

社会确实一直在强调成功,而忽视失败。


Think of all the perfect lives we see posted everywhere on social media.

想想,我们在社交媒体上看到的别人的完美生活。


However, this does not provide any depth of knowledge, thus, benefit anyone.

然而,这样的知识是没有任何深度的,因此,没人会从中受伤。


According to a research conducted by Madsen & Desai, failure can be your biggest teacher in life.

马德森和德赛曾进行过一项研究,结果表明,失败可能是一个人一生中最好的老师。


The research found that knowledge gained from failure lasts longer, and is often more impactful than knowledge gained from success.

研究发现,从失败中获得的知识持续时间更长,而且往往比从成功中获得的知识影响力更大。


This can be illustrated with the flights of the Space Shuttle Atlantis and the Challenger.

亚特兰蒂斯号航天器和挑战者号航天器就很好地说明了这一点。


In 2002, a piece of the Space Shuttle Atlantis broke off and caused damage.

2002年,亚特兰蒂斯号航天器的一块碎片脱落并对主体造成了一定的损坏。


But the damage didn't hinder the mission.

但损坏并没有阻碍这次任务。


As a result, there was little follow-up or investigation following the incident.

因此,事件发生后几乎没有什么后续行动或调查。


A year later, during the flight of the space shuttle the Challenger,

一年后,在挑战者号航天飞机的飞行中,


another piece of the space shuttle broke off that was somewhat similar to the Atlantis.

又有一块碎片脱落了,与先前亚特兰蒂斯号的情形有些相似。


But this time, disaster ensued, resulting in the death of the astronauts and violent destruction of the shuttle.

但这一次,灾难降临了,宇航员死亡,航天飞机也被毁。


This tragic incident prompted a major investigation, which resulted in 29 recommended changes to prevent future disasters.

这一悲惨事件促使政府立马开展了一项重大调查,结果提出了29项改革建议,有效地预防了未来灾难的发生。


In essence, failure can really be seen as an alternate term for learning opportunity.

从本质上讲,失败真的是一次很好的学习机会。


2

failure teaches you to be kind to yourself

失败教会我们要善待自己


Let's imagine.

让我们想象一下。


What if your life is only made of a constant stream of success?

如果你的生活只有成功会怎样?


Everything you do or try just falls into your lap.

你所做或尝试的每一件事都会实现。


And you've known nothing but riches, wealth, and comfort.

你坐拥许多财富,享受着舒适的人生。


You've never had to pull yourself up from an abyss or struggle to improve.

你从来不需要把自己从深渊中拉出来,也不需要为提高自己而挣扎。


When we never truly experience the grit of failure, this encourages taking everything for granted.

当我们从未真正体验过失败时,我们会认为一切都是理所当然的。


You don't think.

你不会思考。


You just float along.

你只会随波逐流。


Failure gives us the push to reevaluate the important things in our lives.

失败给了我们重新评估生活中重要事物的动力。


Who are you?

你是谁?


And, how do you define yourself?

你如何定义自己呢?


It's a great chance for you to be kind to yourself and practice self-compassion.

失败是一个很好的机会,让你学会善待自己,学会自我同情。


Instead of judging and self-approving based on the materialistic or what you've done,

相比于基于物质主义或你所做的事情来评判和自我认可,


you learn to accept yourself just for what you already are at your core.

你更能从失败中学会接受你自己,因为你就是自我的全部力量。


Dr. Kristin Neff, a strong advocate for self-compassion, published a study.

克里斯汀·内夫博士是自我同情的坚定倡导者,他发表了一项研究。


Based on that study, students who practiced self-compassion after failing in an exam will proceed to study harder for future exams.

这项研究表明,那些在考试不及格后会自我同情的学生会为未来的考试更加努力地学习。


3

you can know success only if

you've experienced failure

只有经历过失败,你才能了解成功‍


There is no light without the dark.

没有黑暗就没有光明。


We've heard the phrase.

我们都听过这句话。


But what does it mean?

但这到底是什么意思呢?


Similarly, by experiencing failure, you will obtain a better perspective on success.

换句话说,只有经历失败,你才会对成功有更好的看法。


The accumulation of failures over time gives you an increasingly better sense of what will probably work and what probably won't work.

随着时间的推移,失败的积累会让你越来越好地了解什么才是有用的,什么是无用的。


And success is built upon this knowledge.

而成功就是建立在这种知识之上的。


This very perspective makes basketball superstar Michael Jordan the athlete that he is today.

正是这种视角塑造了篮球巨星迈克尔·乔丹的成功。


He says, I've missed more than 9,000 shots in my career.

他曾说过,在我的职业生涯中,我错失了9000多次投篮机会。


I've lost almost 300 games.

我输了将近300场比赛。


26 times I've been trusted to take the game-winning shot and missed.

有26次,人们相信我会投中制胜的一球,但我没有。


I've failed over and over again in my life.

在我的生活中,我失败了一次又一次。


That's why I succeed.

但这,就是我成功的原因。


4

failure isn't always really failure

失败并不总是真正的失败‍


Did you know some of the most groundbreaking inventions we've had, happened when the inventors were researching something completely different?

你知道我们拥有的一些最具开创性的发明,其实一开始发明者研究的时候并不是想做这个东西吗?


Some of these include super glue, microwave ovens, pacemakers, and even penicillin.

比如说,强力胶、微波炉、起搏器,甚至青霉素。


Essentially, they failed at their original goal.

从本质上说,他们未能达成最初的目标。


But considering what came out instead, can you really call that failure?

但是结果虽事与愿违,却是另一种意义上的成功。


5

failure is a step on the journey

not the end of it

失败是旅途中的某一步,并不是终点‍


When you are faced with failure, this usually does not mean the end.

当你遭遇失败时,这并不意味着你的这段旅途结束了。


Failure is a real and common experience.

失败是一种真实而常见的经历。


However, barring extreme circumstances, it's not a termination.

然而,除非出现极端情况,失败并不是你的终点。


It's part of the human condition and a natural occurrence that preps you to achieve success in the future.

这是人类必须经历的一部分,是为你在未来取得成功做准备的自然事件。


Ever shop or browse online?

你有没有在网上购物的经历?


You've probably heard of Jack Ma, co-founder of Alibaba Group.

你听说过阿里巴巴集团的联合创始人马云吗?


The journey to the top wasn't some fairytale golden path, either.

他通往顶峰的旅程也不是什么童话般的黄金之路。


In a public event, he told the story of multiple failures in his life, which included being the sole individual not to get a job at a fast-food joint,

在一次公开活动中,他讲述了自己一生中多次失败的故事,包括,同辈中唯一一个没有在快餐店找到工作的人,


rejection at being a hotel server, and applying to Harvard 10 times with a sound rejection each time.

找酒店服务员的工作被拒了,申请哈佛大学10次都被拒了。


Jack Ma reflected that the experiences of these failures prepared him for the path to becoming a CEO later on.

马云说道,正是这些失败的经历为他后来成为CEO做足了准备。


Failure is a chance to learn.

失败是一个学习的机会。


And although it doesn't feel very good at the time, a change in perspective can help turn it into a climbing hold,

尽管当时感觉不是很好,但换个角度,可以让其变成你攀岩路上的一个支撑点,


instead of a rock blocking your path.

而不是一块挡路的石头。


We understand, though, that sometimes when you face failures in your life, you may become debilitated.

然而,我们都明白,有时当你面对生活中的失败时,你可能会变得脆弱。


These can hit you hard.

失败可能会对你造成很大的打击。


Now that you know bouncing back is a very real option, seek professional assistance if you need it, so that you can continue onwards and upwards.

而且失败很有可能会反弹,所以如果你需要的话,可以去寻求专业的帮助,让你在人生路上继续大步向前。

素材来源:youtube








往期推荐





高中英语必修三 Unit 2 必背单词和词块(新人教版)


假装努力比努力更可怕!停下来,你每天都在重复这些事情吗?


哈佛大学校长演讲:你可能会在校园里遇到一生交好的伙伴


新人教版 必修1  各单元应用文写作 [建议收藏]


双语视频 | 四季中国(Seasons of China) 寒露 Cold Dew


学法指导 高三英语详细复习指导




END



因腾讯后台改版,需将公众号设置为星标才能查看最新推送内容1、点击文章标题下的 “高中英语教学交流网2、点击公众号首页右上角的“..."3、点击”设为星标


本文来源于网络,以上图、文、音视频,贵在分享,版权归原作者及原出处所有。如涉及版权等问题,请及时与我们联系微信ID:ZSHUNJ。   点分享点收藏点点赞点在看 

您可能也对以下帖子感兴趣

文章有问题?点此查看未经处理的缓存