TED演讲| 如何更好地学习一门新的语言?
I love learning foreign languages.
我喜欢学外语。
In fact, I love it so much that I like to learn a new language every two years,
实际上,这种痴迷让我 每两年就想学一门新的外语,
currently working on my eighth one.
现在我正在学第八门外语。
When people find that out about me, they always ask me,
当人们得知此事后,总是问我,
How do you do that? What’s your secret?
“你怎么做到的?你的秘诀是什么?”
And to be honest, for many years, my answer would be,
说实话,这么多年来, 我的回答总是,
I don’t know. I simply love learning languages.
“我不知道啊。我只是喜欢学语言。”
But people were never happy with that answer.
但是人们从来都不会对 这个回答感到满意。
They wanted to know why they are spending years trying to learn even one language,
他们想知道为何他们花了多年 试着学习哪怕只有一门语言,
never achieving fluency,
却从未达到流利的程度,
and here I come, learning one language after another.
而我却能够学了一门再学一门。
They wanted to know the secret of polyglots,
他们想知道多语言者,
people who speak a lot of languages.
即说多种语言的人的秘密。
And that made me wonder, too,
我也对此感到好奇,
how do actually other polyglots do it?
其他的多语言者到底是怎么做的?
What do we have in common?
我们有什么共同点吗?
And what is it that enables us
是什么让我们
to learn languages so much faster than other people?
较之他人能够更快的学习语言?
I decided to meet other people like me and find that out.
我决定见见其他像我一样的人, 并试着找寻背后的答案。
The best place to meet a lot of polyglots
能够遇到很多多语言者的最佳地点
is an event where hundreds of language lovers
是聚集了数百名多语言者的地方,
meet in one place to practice their languages.
他们在那里进行练习。
There are several such polyglot events organized all around the world,
世界各地有许多类似的多语言者活动,
and so I decided to go there
所以我决定去看看,
and ask polyglots about the methods that they use.
打听一下他们各自使用的方法。
And so I met Benny from Ireland,
我遇到了来自爱尔兰的本尼,
who told me that his method is to start speaking from day one.
他告诉我他用的方法是 从第一天就开始说出口。
He learns a few phrases from a travel phrasebook
他从一本旅游指南上学了一些词组,
and goes to meet native speakers
然后就去见母语者,
and starts having conversations with them right away.
立马和他们展开对话。
He doesn’t mind making even 200 mistakes a day,
他不介意一天犯 200 个错误,
because that’s how he learns, based on the feedback.
因为这就是他 基于反馈的学习方式。
And the best thing is, he doesn’t even need to travel a lot today,
最棒的一点是, 如今他甚至不需要出游,
because you can easily have conversations with native speakers
因为你只需要呆在惬意的房间中,
from the comfort of your living room, using websites.
就能在网络上和母语者进行交谈。
I also met Lucas from Brazil
我还遇到了来自巴西的卢卡斯,
who had a really interesting method to learn Russian.
他学习俄语的方法很有意思。
He simply added a hundred random Russian speakers on Skype as friends,
他就在 Skype 上随机添加了 上百个说俄语的人,
and then he opened a chat window with one of them
然后打开其中一个人的聊天框,
and wrote "Hi" in Russian.
用俄语写下“嗨”。
And the person replied, "Hi, how are you?"
然后对方回复,“嗨,你好吗?”
Lucas copied this and put it into a text window with another person,
卢卡斯了复制这段话, 再把它发给另一个人,
and the person replied, "I’m fine, thank you, and how are you?"
然后另一个人回复, “我很好,谢谢,你怎么样?”
Lucas copied this back to the first person,
卢卡斯又把这段话复制发给第一个人,
and in this way, he had two strangers have a conversation with each other
这样,他就让两个陌生人 在完全不知情的情况下
without knowing about it.
展开了交谈。
(Laughter)
(笑声)
And soon he would start typing himself,
过不了多久,他就可以自己打字了,
because he had so many of these conversations
因为他看了那么多的对话,
that he figured out how the Russian conversation usually starts.
已经知道俄语的交流 大概是怎么开始的了。
What an ingenious method, right?
很聪明的办法,是吧?
And then I met polyglots who always start by imitating sounds of the language,
此外,我还遇到了总是从 模仿声音开始学习语言的多语言者,
and others who always learn the 500 most frequent words of the language,
从学习 500 个最常用词 开始的多语言者,
and yet others who always start by reading about the grammar.
以及总是从学习语法开始的多语言者。
If I asked a hundred different polyglots,
如果我去询问一百个多语言者,
I heard a hundred different approaches to learning languages.
我会听到关于学习语言方式的 一百种不同的答案。
Everybody seems to have a unique way they learn a language,
每个人似乎都对学习语言 有着独门秘笈,
and yet we all come to the same result of speaking several languages fluently.
但是我们最终都能 流利的说多种语言。
And as I was listening to these polyglots telling me about their methods,
当我倾听着这些多语言者 讲述他们学习语言方法的时候,
it suddenly dawned on me:
我突然意识到:
the one thing we all have in common
我们有一个共同点,
is that we simply found ways to enjoy the language-learning process.
那就是我们找到了享受 学习语言这一过程的方法。
All of these polyglots were talking about language learning
所有这些多语言者 在谈论语言学习的时候,
as if it was great fun.
都表现得像那是一种趣事。
You should have seen their faces
你们应该看看当他们
when they were showing me their colorful grammar charts
向我展示他们多彩的语法表,
and their carefully handmade flash cards,
专心制作的语言卡片,
and their statistics about learning vocabulary using apps,
他们语言学习软件上的统计量,
or even how they love to cook based on recipes in a foreign language.
甚至他们是如何爱上用外文菜谱 烧菜时,脸上自豪的神情。
All of them use different methods,
每个人都用着不同的方法,
but they always make sure it’s something that they personally enjoy.
但是他们做到了 让这件事情变成一种享受。
I realized that this is actually how I learn languages myself.
我意识到,这实际上也是 我学习语言的方式。
When I was learning Spanish, I was bored with the text in the textbook.
当我学习西班牙语时, 我对书本上的文章没什么兴趣。
I mean, who wants to read about Jose
我想说,谁想学胡赛
asking about the directions to the train station. Right?
是怎么问去火车站的路的啊。对吧?
I wanted to read "Harry Potter" instead,
相反,我想读《哈利·波特》,
because that was my favorite book as a child,
因为这是我孩童时期最喜欢的书,
and I have read it many times.
而且我已经阅读了很多遍。
So I got the Spanish translation of "Harry Potter" and started reading,
所以我买了本西语版的 《哈利·波特》开始阅读,
and sure enough, I didn’t understand almost anything at the beginning,
毫无疑问,最开始我几乎什么都看不懂,
but I kept on reading because I loved the book,
但是我坚持读了下来, 因为我喜欢这本书,
and by the end of the book, I was able to follow it almost without any problems.
直到读完此书,我基本可以 不费力的跟上故事情节。
And the same thing happened when I was learning German.
同样的事情也发生在我学德语的时候。
I decided to watch "Friends," my favorite sitcom, in German,
我决定看我最喜欢的电视剧 《老友记》的德语版本,
and again, at the beginning it was all just gibberish.
同样的,最开始我基本上听不懂。
I didn’t know where one word finished and another one started,
我不知道一个单词在何处结束, 另一个单词在何处开始,
but I kept on watching every day because it’s "Friends."
但是我坚持每天观看, 因为这是《老友记》。
I can watch it in any language. I love it so much.
我可以看不同的语言版本。我太喜欢这部剧了。
And after the second or third season,
在看完两季或三季之后,
seriously, the dialogue started to make sense.
说真的,我能渐渐听明白对话了。
I only realized this after meeting other polyglots.
在我遇到了其他多语言者之后, 我才明白这一点。
We are no geniuses
我们不是天才,
and we have no shortcut to learning languages.
我们也没有学习语言的捷径。
We simply found ways how to enjoy the process,
我们只是找到了 享受这一过程的方式,
how to turn language learning from a boring school subject
以及如何将语言学习从 一项枯燥的学校课程
into a pleasant activity which you don’t mind doing every day.
转变为一项你不介意 每天都做的有趣活动。
If you don’t like writing words down on paper,
如果你不喜欢在纸上写单词,
you can always type them in an app.
那你可以在软件里面打单词。
If you don’t like listening to boring textbook material,
如果你不喜欢听无聊的课程材料,
find interesting content on YouTube or in podcasts for any language.
你总是可以在 YouTube 上或 播客里找到任何一种语言的有趣内容。
If you’re a more introverted person
如果你是个内向的人,
and you can’t imagine speaking to native speakers right away,
不愿意马上就和母语者交谈,
you can apply the method of self-talk.
你总可以和自己练习对话。
You can talk to yourself in the comfort of your room,
你可以在自己的房间里, 对自己说话,
describing your plans for the weekend, how your day has been,
描述你的周末计划, 一天过得怎么样,
or even take a random picture from your phone
甚至是从你的手机里 随便选一张照片,
and describe the picture to your imaginary friend.
然后把它描述给你想象中的朋友。
This is how polyglots learn languages,
这就是多语言者学习语言的方式,
and the best news is, it’s available to anyone
而好消息是,这种方法对每个
who is willing to take the learning into their own hands.
想要自主学习语言的人 来说,都是可行的。
So meeting other polyglots helped me realize
所以,遇到其他的 多语言者让我意识到
that it is really crucial to find enjoyment
在学习语言的过程中,
in the process of learning languages,
找到乐趣是十分重要的,
but also that joy in itself is not enough.
但是仅凭兴趣是不够的。
If you want to achieve fluency in a foreign language,
如果你想要流利的说一门外语,
you’ll also need to apply three more principles.
还需要遵守三大准则。
First of all, you’ll need effective methods.
首先,你需要找到有效的方法。
If you try to memorize a list of words for a test tomorrow,
如果你正为明天的考试复习, 要去试着记住一系列单词,
the words will be stored in your short-term memory
这些单词只会被储存在 你的短期记忆里,
and you’ll forget them after a few days.
而你过几天就会忘得一干二净。
If you, however, want to keep words long term,
相反,如果你想长期记住单词,
you need to revise them in the course of a few days repeatedly
就需要隔几天就复习一下,
using the so-called space repetition.
用所谓的间隔重复法。
You can use apps which are based on this system such as Anki or Memrise,
你可以试试基于这种方法 设计的软件,譬如 Anki 或 Memrise,
or you can write lists of word in a notebook using the Goldlist method,
或是在笔记本上用“黄金列表”法 写下一系列单词,
which is also very popular with many polyglots.
这也在许多多语言者之间十分流行。
If you’re not sure which methods are effective and what is available out there,
如果你不确定什么方法是有效的, 以及现在有些什么方法,
just check out polyglots’ YouTube channels and websites
那么就去看看多语言者的 YouTube 和主页,
and get inspiration from them.
你可以从那里获得灵感。
If it works for them, it will most probably work for you too.
如果这些方法对他们适用, 那么可能也对你适用。
The third principle to follow
你需要遵守的第三个原则
is to create a system in your learning.
就是制定一套自己的学习体系。
We’re all very busy and no one really has time to learn a language today.
如今我们都很忙,没有人真正 有时间去学习一门语言。
But we can create that time if we just plan a bit ahead.
但是如果我们事前计划一下, 就能挤出那个时间。
Can you wake up 15 minutes earlier than you normally do?
你可以比平时早起15分钟吗?
That would be the perfect time to revise some vocabulary.
这段时间可以用来复习一些单词。
Can you listen to a podcast on your way to work while driving?
你可以在开车去上班时 听一段博客吗?
Well, that would be great to get some listening experience.
这可以算是很不错的听力练习。
There are so many things we can do without even planning that extra time,
甚至不需要提前规划时间, 我们也可以做很多事情,
such as listening to podcasts on our way to work
比如在上班的路上或是做家务时,
or doing our household chores.
我们可以听听播客。
The important thing is to create a plan in the learning.
重要的是,制定一个学习计划。
I will practice speaking every Tuesday and Thursday
“我要在每周二和每周四和朋友
with a friend for 20 minutes.
练习20分钟口语。
I will listen to a YouTube video while having breakfast."
吃早饭时,我要 听一段 YouTube 视频。”
If you create a system in your learning,
如果你建立了自己的学习体系,
you don’t need to find that extra time,
就不需要挤出额外的时间,
because it will become a part of your everyday life.
因为这已经成为 你每日生活的一部分了。
And finally, if you want to learn a language fluently,
最后,如果你想要 流利掌握一门语言,
you need also a bit of patience.
还需要一点耐心。
It’s not possible to learn a language within two months,
一个人不可能在两个月之内 就掌握一门语言,
but it’s definitely possible to make a visible improvement in two months,
但是如果你以自己喜欢的方式 每天学习一点点的话,
if you learn in small chunks every day in a way that you enjoy.
在两个月之内肯定可以 取得显著的进步。
And there is nothing that motivates us more
没有比我们自己的成功更能
than our own success.
激励我们的了。
I vividly remember the moment
我清晰的记得,当我第一次
when I understood the first joke in German when watching "Friends."
看懂德语版《老友记》 里面的笑话时的情形。
I was so happy and motivated
我十分开心,备受鼓舞,
that I just kept on watching that day two more episodes,
又忍不住多看了两集。
and as I kept watching,
随着我不断观看,
I had more and more of those moments of understanding, these little victories,
我能看懂的片段越来越多, 这些小小的成就
and step by step, I got to a level where I could use the language
积少成多,使我可以自由熟练的
freely and fluently to express anything.
使用这个语言去表达任何事物。
This is a wonderful feeling.
这种感觉太棒了。
I can’t get enough of that feeling,
这种感觉总是让我意犹未尽,
and that’s why I learn a language every two years.
就成了我每两年 就学习一门语言的原因。
So this is the whole polyglot secret.
这也是所有多语言者的秘密。
Find effective methods which you can use systematically
找到你可以在一段时间内 系统使用的有效方法,
over the period of some time in a way which you enjoy,
而且你还很享受这个过程,
and this is how polyglots learn languages within months, not years.
这就是多语言者在数月而非 数年内就能学会语言的秘诀。
Now, some of you may be thinking,
你们中的有些人可能会想,
That’s all very nice to enjoy language learning,
“享受语言学习固然美好,
but isn’t the real secret that you polyglots
但是真正的秘密 难道不是你们多语言者
are just super talented and most of us aren’t?"
天生就比我们 更擅长学习语言吗?”
Well, there’s one thing I haven’t told you about Benny and Lucas.
先别急,关于本尼和卢卡斯, 有件事我还没说。
Benny had 11 years of Irish Gaelic and five years of German at school.
本尼在学校时学习了 11 年的 爱尔兰盖德尔语和 5 年的德语。
He couldn’t speak them at all when graduating.
而当他毕业时,却还完全不会用。
Up to the age of 21, he thought he didn’t have the language gene
直到 21 岁,他都认为 自己没有语言天分,
and he could not speak another language.
也学不会其他的语言。
Then he started to look for his way of learning languages,
然后他开始找寻适合 自己的语言学习方式,
which was speaking to native speakers and getting feedback from them,
那就是和母语者交谈, 并从他们那里得到反馈,
and today Benny can easily have a conversation in 10 languages.
而今天本尼可以毫不费力的 用 10 种语言进行交流。
Lucas tried to learn English at school for 10 years.
卢卡斯在学校学了 10 年的英语。
He was one of the worst students in class.
他是课堂上最差的学生之一。
His friends even made fun of him
他的朋友们甚至取笑他,
and gave him a Russian textbook as a joke
给了他一本俄语教材,想看他笑话,
because they thought he would never learn that language, or any language.
因为他们认为他永远也不可能 学会俄语,或是任何一门外言。
And then Lucas started to experiment with methods,
然后卢卡斯开始试验其他方法,
looking for his own way to learn,
寻找适合自己的学习方式,
for example, by having Skype chat conversations with strangers.
比如,用 Skype 和陌生人聊天。
And after just 10 years,
仅仅 10 年后,
Lucas is able to speak 11 languages fluently.
卢卡斯已经可以流利的说 11 种语言。
Does that sound like a miracle?
这听起来是不是很神奇?
Well, I see such miracles every single day.
如果是这样,那么 我每天都会看到类似的奇迹。
As a language mentor,
作为一名语言教师,
I help people learn languages by themselves,
我帮助人们自学语言,
and I see this every day.
我每天都能看到奇迹发生。
People struggle with language learning for five, 10, even 20 years,
有些人 5 年、10 年甚至 20 年 都在语言学习中挣扎,
and then they suddenly take their learning into their own hands,
然后他们突然就能够将学习 掌握在自己的手中,
start using materials which they enjoy, more effective methods,
开始使用他们感兴趣的材料, 更加有效的方法,
or they start tracking their learning
或是开始记录自己的学习进度,
so that they can appreciate their own progress,
这样他们才能肯定自己的进步。
and that’s when suddenly
就在这段时间,
they magically find the language talent that they were missing all their lives.
他们突然神奇般的找到了 自以为一直欠缺的语言才能。
So if you’ve also tried to learn a language
如果你也曾试着学习一门语言,
and you gave up, thinking it’s too difficult
然后你因为它太难了,或是
or you don’t have the language talent,
觉得自己没有语言天赋而放弃了,
give it another try.
再试试吧。
Maybe you’re also just one enjoyable method away
或许你离熟练的说一门语言 只差一种合适的,
from learning that language fluently.
让你乐在其中的方法。
Maybe you’re just one method away from becoming a polyglot.
也许你离成为一名多语言者, 只差那一种方法。
Thank you.
谢谢。