如何在2018年成为一个更好的人 |《纽约时报》
《纽约时报》每年都会给读者提供一些建议,帮助读者更加快乐、健康地生活。如何在2018年成为一个对生活中的各种事情准备充分、不再那么焦虑、更整洁有序的人?且跟着LR君一起往下看。
https://v.qq.com/txp/iframe/player.html?vid=l133161zyrj&width=500&height=375&auto=0
▲How to Make 2018 Your Best Year Yet!
9 Ways to Be a Better Person in 2018
9条建议,迎来更好的2018年
1. Make your bed.
1. 铺好你的床
This small act will give you a sense of pride and accomplishment, which, the thinking goes, will lead to other similarly virtuous deeds.
这个小小的举动会给你一种自豪感和成就感,且这个想法会让你做出其他类似的良性作为。想拥有愉快的一天吗?先从铺床做起。
2. Wear weather-appropriate shoes.
2. 穿上适合天气的鞋子
Melania Trump was reminded of this best practice when she spurred the internet's ire[1] by departing for hurricane-ravaged Houston in stilettos. (She wore sensible shoes upon arrival.) It's never a bad idea to put your best foot forward, literally and figuratively.
梅拉尼亚·特朗普在出发前去视察遭飓风蹂躏的休斯敦时,因为脚上穿的纤细高跟鞋而引发互联网上的愤怒(而她抵达时穿着合宜的鞋子),她是这条建议的最佳写照。从字面上和形象上来说,优先考虑脚上该穿什么并不是个坏主意。
[1]ire:anger 愤怒
raise/arouse/draw sb's ire (=make someone angry)使某人愤怒
The proposal has drawn the ire of local residents.
那项提议激怒了当地居民。
3. Wash your hair.
3. 勤洗头发
You know how there are always stories telling you you're shampooing your hair too much? Well, as with everything, a backlash[2] is brewing[3]. Dermatologists and hairstylists blame the blowout bar phenomenon, saying that dry shampoo will buy you an extra day or two, but nothing more. Remember that your scalp is skin and, just like your face, it needs regular washing.
看过太多有关“你洗头洗太多了”的文章?现在是时候听听反对的声音了。皮肤科医生和发型师都批评所谓的美发造型沙龙现象,告诫称干洗香波最多只能让你的头发多保持干净一两天。请记住,你的头皮是皮肤,就像你的脸一样,它需要定期清洗。
[2]backlash: a strong negative reaction by a number of people against recent events, especially against political or social developments〔尤指对政治或社会事件的〕强烈反应,反对,抵制
[+ against]
The 1970s saw the first backlash against the women's movement.
20世纪70年代首次出现对妇女运动的抵制。
[+ from]
The management fear a backlash from fans over the team's poor performances.
管理层担心球迷会对球队的拙劣表现做出强烈反应。
[3]be brewing
1)if something unpleasant is brewing, it will happen soon 〔不快之事〕酝酿,即将来临
There's trouble brewing in the office.
办公室里要有麻烦了。
2)if a storm is brewing, it will happen soon 〔暴风雨〕即将来临
We'd seen the storm brewing when we were out in the boat.
我们乘船外出时看到了暴风雨正在酝酿之中。
5. Accept the things you cannot control.
5. 接受你无法控制的事物
We reported on the wedding of 98-year-old Gertrude Mokotoff and 94-year-old Alvin Mann, who, like so many couples before them, met at the gym. The groom, who also earned a bachelor's degree in history last year, shared this advice on living a long life: "Of course, one part of it is medical science, but the bigger part is that we live worry-free lives; we do not let anything we cannot control bother us in the least."
我们报道了98岁的格特露德·默可托夫和94岁的艾尔文·曼的婚礼。去年获得了历史学士学位的新郎,向我们分享了这个长寿的建议:“当然,其中一部分靠的是医学科学,但更重要的是我们过着无忧无虑的生活。我们不会让任何自己无法控制的事物打扰我们。”
6. And if you still feel stressed, distract yourself with a real-life fairy tale.
6. 压力太大?看看现实中的童话故事
If you are in dire need of some fun and frivolity[轻松的乐事], just look across the pond. In 2018, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle will bless the world with a thoroughly modern royal union.
如果你非常需要快乐和轻松,看看大西洋对岸发生的事吧。2018年,哈里王子和梅根·马克尔将通过一场彻底的现代化的结合重塑英国王室、并给世界带去祝福。
7. Embrace your age.
7. 欣然拥抱一个老去的自己
Let your hair go gray and leave those wrinkles alone. It may just be the start of a revolution. If we want to ensure a less ageist culture, then the battle begins in the mirror, wrote Ashton Applewhite. "For movements to have power, their members have to embrace the thing that is stigmatized[4], whether it's being black, loving someone of the same sex, or growing old. That means moving from denying aging to accepting it, and even to embracing it."
让你的头发自然地变白,并且别管那些皱纹了。这可能只是一场革命的开始。如果我们想维系一个不那么老的文化,那么这场战争就是从镜子里开始的。阿什顿•阿普尔怀特(Ashton Applewhite)写道。 “对于为了争取权力的运动来说,他们的成员必须拥抱被污名化的事物,无论是黑人、同性之间的爱还是衰老。这意味着人们从拒绝老去到接受老去,甚至欣然拥抱老去。”
[4]be stigmatized: to be treated by society as if you should feel ashamed of your situation or behaviour 被视为可耻,受到蔑视
Single mothers often feel that they are stigmatized by society.
单身母亲常常觉得自己受社会歧视。
9. If you suffer a setback, just keep going — and going out.
9. 如果你遇到挫折,继续前进——然后走出去
Make like Hillary Clinton after her election defeat, when she popped up at a Broadway play, an Italian restaurant and a hotel cabaret.
向希拉里·克林顿(Hillary Clinton)学习吧。败选后,人们在百老汇剧场、意大利餐厅和酒店的歌舞表演都看到了她的身影。
读到这,是不是发现少了NO.4和NO.8,哈哈!
感兴趣的同学请点文末“阅读原文”哦~
https://v.qq.com/txp/iframe/player.html?vid=g1331v9rwyi&width=500&height=375&auto=0▲Tony Robbins:How To Be A Better Person (TIME)