查看原文
其他

BBC地道英语|出师未捷身先死,用英语怎么说?

2018-03-01 小芳老师

提示:点击↑上方"小芳老师"免费关注哦

Hello and welcome to The English We Speak, I’m Feifei…

大家好,欢迎收听地道英语,我是菲菲…

… and hello I’m Rob. So what’s this I hear about your new business idea Feifei?

大家好,我是罗布。我听说你有要做生意的新想法,什么想法呢,菲菲?

Yes, I’m going to make and sell cakes.

是的,我要去做蛋糕、卖蛋糕。

Hmm, are you sure Feifei?

呃,你确定吗,菲菲?

Yes I’m sure.Look I’ve already made this batch of muffins.

是的,我确定。看,我已经做了一批松饼。

Err, are they supposed to be black? Cooking isn’t really your speciality is it?

呃,它们本来就是黑色的吗?烹饪并不是你的特长,对吧?

Cooking isn’t my speciality!Rob, just you watch,I’m going to be a millionaire selling my homemade cakes.

烹饪不是我的特长!罗布,你瞧我的,我会靠卖自制蛋糕成为百万富翁的。

I’m sorry to say Feifei but I think you’re going to fall at the first hurdle.

很抱歉这么说,菲菲,但我觉得你在第一个跨栏处就会摔倒的。

Don’t be stupid Rob,I’m not going to be jumping any hurdles –we’re not talking about sport –just cooking.

别犯傻了,罗布,我没打算跳过任何跨栏——我们不是在谈论运动——只是在谈论烹饪。

No Feifei –I mean you’re going to fail right at the start of what you’re trying to do.

不,菲菲——我的意思是说你在努力之初就会失败的。

Thanks Rob! So you think by cooking these ’black’ muffins means I have already failed?

谢谢你,罗布!所以你认为烤出来这些“黑色”松饼就意味着我已经失败了?

Well they are burnt.Let’s hear some examples of other people who have fallen at the first hurdle…

嗯,它们烧焦了嘛。让我们来听一些其他倒在第一关的人的例子吧……

Plans to construct a new motorway will fall at the first hurdle if they can’t buy the farmland to build it on.

如果他们买不下建路的农田的话,修建一条新高速公路的计划一开始就会失败。

His dream of marrying Julie fell at the first hurdle when he discovered she was already married.

发现朱莉已经结婚了的时候,他与之结婚的美梦在一开始就破灭了。

To fall at the first hurdle’ means to fail near the beginning of something.Ah but Rob,why don’t you actually taste one of these muffins before you call me a failure?

“倒在第一关”是说某些事情才开始就失败了。啊,但是罗布,在你说我失败之前,为什么不先尝一块松饼呢?

OK here goes.Mmm, actually, not bad Feifei.They’re not burnt…

好呀,我要尝啦。嗯,其实还不错,菲菲。它们并没有烧焦…

… no, it’s actually a layer of crunchy toffee.I can cook Rob!

是没有烧焦啊,这只是一层脆脆的太妃糖。我是会烹饪的,罗布!

OK, I’m sorry for doubting you…but you’re going to have to sell lots of muffins if you want to be a millionaire.

好吧,我很抱歉怀疑你了…但如果你想成为一个百万富翁的话,就必须要卖许多松饼。

I know.Perhaps I’ll just sell these ones first and see how I get on.

我知道。也许我会先只把这些卖掉,然后看看情况如何。

Good idea.Just make sure you don’t fall at the final hurdle!

好主意。确保你不会倒在最后一关就好了!

You mean fail near the end of what I’m trying to do?

你是说在努力做的事情的最后关头失败?

Exactly.

完全正确。

I won’t –as long as you don’t keep eating my cakes.Hands off!

不会的——只要你别一直吃我的蛋糕。不许拿了!

Sorry!

对不起!

Bye!

再见!


点击“阅读原文”,听更多BBC地道英语!

您可能也对以下帖子感兴趣

文章有问题?点此查看未经处理的缓存