查看原文
其他

BBC地道英语|A recipe for disaster是什么意思呢?

2018-03-06 小芳老师

提示:点击↑上方"小芳老师"免费关注哦

 后患无穷

Hello and welcome to The English We Speak.

大家好,欢迎来到BBC地道英语。

…and hello, I’m Rob. Err, Feifei what are you doing?

嗨,我是Rob。额,菲菲你在干什么?

I’m making a cake – a chocolate cake - obviously!

我在做蛋糕—巧克力蛋糕—很显然啦!

Why are you making a chocolate cake?

为什么你在做巧克力蛋糕呢?

It’s Helen’s birthday. What’s wrong with that Rob?

今天是海伦的生日。 Rob,难道做个蛋糕不好吗?

Well, for a start we are in a radio studio not a kitchen.

额。。。首先我们现在在录音棚,不是在厨房。

Also, you’ve only got five minutes before she arrives –

还有,只剩下五分钟海伦就来了—

and you’re putting salt in the cake mix not sugar.

另外你把盐误当成白糖放进去了。

Ooops!

天呐!

It’s a recipe for disaster!

这真是后患无穷啊!

A recipe for disaster? No, look, it’s a recipe for a chocolate cake Rob.That might be – but a recipe for disaster means a combination of things that will,

灾难的食谱?不是的, Rob,你快看,这是做巧克力蛋糕的食谱。是的—但是“a recipe for disaster”指的是一连串的事情将会发生,

at some point, go wrong and cause harm, damage or in this case, humiliation – in other words it will end in trouble.

在某些方面,事情将会搞砸或者造成损失、伤害和羞辱——也就是说,将会酿成麻烦。

So the phrase isn’t about cooking? Oh dear Rob, this wasn’t the recipe I wanted to follow!

那么说,这个短语跟做饭没有关系喽?奥,亲爱的,这不是我想要的食谱。

No. Let’s hear some examples of this phrase in action – and we can work out how to limit the damage.

不是的。现在我们来听几个关于这个短语的几个例子—我们就可以控制下损失了。

My doctor says drinking too much, not exercising enough,

我的医生说,经常喝酒,又不锻炼,

and having a stressful job are a recipe for disaster. He says I might die young!

并且工作压力大就会后患无穷。他说我可能英年早逝!

I’m not looking forward to the party.

我不想去参加那个聚会。

Having my wife and ex-girlfriend in the same room will be a recipe for disaster!

与我的妻子和前女友共处一室真是一团乱麻啊!

Watch out on the road tonight – all that rain followed by freezing temperatures is a recipe for disaster.

小心看路——下着雨,又结冰真是容易造成麻烦啊。

So put another way, "a recipe for disaster" is a phrase that means someone’s actions will result in things going badly wrong.So what problem is my cake making going to cause, Rob?Well can’t you see there’s cake mix on the table – the cake won’t be ready in time –

所以,这样说,“a recipe for disaster”是指某人的行为将会酿成麻烦。那我做的蛋糕将会造成什么麻烦呢? Rob?额,你看桌子上有一团做蛋糕的面团—这个蛋糕不会按时做好的—

and it’ll taste disgusting with all that salt in it.

放了那么多盐,味道也将会非常糟糕的。

Oh calm down – do you want to taste the cake mix?

冷静下—你想尝尝这个混合口味的蛋糕吗?

Oh go on then…. Mmmm, actually it’s not too bad. And there’s not much mess.

好啊...嗯,味道还可以。并不是很糟糕。

Perhaps it’s not a disaster – but maybe we shouldn’t give it to Helen. Shall we keep it for later?

也许这不是灾难—但是我们不应该把这个蛋糕送给海伦。不然我们留着自己吃?

Ha ha – it looks like this has been a recipe for success!

哈哈—看起来这是成功的食谱啊!

For once Feifei, you might be right! Bye!

菲菲,也许你是对的。拜拜!

Bye.

拜。

点击“阅读原文”,听更多BBC地道英语

您可能也对以下帖子感兴趣

文章有问题?点此查看未经处理的缓存