查看原文
其他

BBC地道英语|A bitter pill to swallow 是什么意思?

2018-03-22 小芳老师

提示:点击↑上方"小芳老师"免费关注哦

不得不下咽的苦果

Hello and welcome to The English We Speak.

大家好,欢迎来到地道英语。

I’m Feifei and joining me today is Rob.

我是菲菲,这是Rob。

Hi everyone… errr, Feifei are you OK? You don’t sound as cheerful as normal.

大家好,额。。。菲菲,你还好吗?你听起来今天情绪不太好。

I feel terrible today – I’ve got a headache, feel really tired…

我今天感觉很糟糕-我头痛,我感觉很累。。。

I think I’m developing flu. I’m going to take these paracetamol tablets.

我应该是得了流感,我得吃三个扑热息痛药片。

Hold on Feifei. Are you sure you’re getting flu?

等一下,菲菲,你确定你是患流感了吗?

This hasn’t got anything to do with that job promotion you didn’t get?

你身体不适不会是因为最近升职没成功吧?

Of course not… well maybe a little.

当然不是。。。也或许有一点儿。

Hmm, I know you wanted that promotion so much but Daisy got it instead didn’t she?

恩,我知道你很想得到这次升职机会,但最后Daisy得到了这次机会,是吧?

Exactly – and I’ve been working here much longer than her and I have loads more experience.

是啊,但我比她工作时间久,经验比她多。

It’s so unfair!I know… it’s a bitter pill to swallow.Thanks for the advice but even if these tablets – or pills - are bitter,

这太不公平了!我知道,这真是不好接受的苦果。谢谢你的建议,尽管这些药片很苦,

they’ll make me feel better – now can you show me some more sympathy about my promotion please?

不过我们都知道“良药苦口利于病”。我说,我升值不成功,这又病了,你能同情一下我吗?

I was trying to,Feifei! When I said ‘it’s a bitter pill to swallow’

我正在安慰你啊,菲菲,我刚才说“it’s a bitter pill to swallow”

I really meant it’s a situation that is unpleasant and difficult to accept.

我是说你在经受不愉快或者很难的情况。

OK, I see! You’re saying I’m finding Daisy’s promotion hard to accept?

恩,是的,你在说我很难接受最后Daisy获得了升职的结果?

It’s tough Feifei but that’s the way things are.

是很难,但菲菲,事情已经这样了。

Let’s hear some more examples of this phrase in action…

让我们一起看几个例子。。。

When John found out about his wife’s affair with his best friend, it was a bitter pill to swallow.

约翰发现他妻子和自己最好的朋友发生婚外恋,他觉得难以接受。

It was a bitter pill to swallow knowing that my older sister finished the race quicker than me.

赛跑中,我姐姐比我更快到达终点,我真的难以接受这件事。

My friend has booked the same flights as me for half the price – it’s a bitter pill to swallow!So ‘a bitter pill to swallow’ means I don’t like what’s happened but I will have to accept it? Hmm, I like the phrase but it doesn’t make me feel any better.

我朋友花了一半的价钱和我订了同一个航班,这真是太气人了!所以,‘a bitter pill to swallow’表示“我不喜欢发生的一切,但我必须接受”?嗯,我很喜欢这个短语,但是这并不能让我感到好受。

You’ll just have to swallow the decision Feifei! Daisy is going to be your boss now.

你会接受这个事实的,菲菲, Daisy马上就是你的上司啦。

Oh dear… I think my flu might be getting worse now…

天呐。。。我觉得我流感更加严重了。

I’m definitely going to take these paracetamol now… Yuk, that really was bitter!

我现在必须吃下这些扑热息痛片了。。。呀,真是苦死了!

I think two tablets are enough for now Feifei. Maybe you should take tomorrow off work.

我想吃两片就够了,菲菲。你明天还是请假别上班了吧。

What a great idea Rob. See you later. Bye.

好主意,再见,Rob。再见。


点击“阅读原文”,听更多BBC地道英语!

您可能也对以下帖子感兴趣

文章有问题?点此查看未经处理的缓存