查看原文
其他

BBC地道英语|Down the pan 是下锅了吗?

2018-03-27 小芳老师

提示:点击↑上方"小芳老师"免费关注哦

泡汤了

Hello and welcome to Authentic Real English.I’m Helen and joining me today is Neil.

大家好,欢迎收听地道英语。我是海伦,今天和我一起的是尼尔。

Hello everyone.You know my friend Jeff the documentary maker?

大家好。你认识我的朋友杰夫吧?就是那个纪录片制作人。

Oh yeah.

对。

Well he had this great story he was about to make a film about -the most expensive wedding in the UK.

有一个很棒的故事,他想要把它拍成影片——关于英国最昂贵的婚礼。

So what happened?Has he finished it?

所以发生了什么事?他完成这部影片了吗?

He was due to film the wedding on Saturday.Then yesterday, he got a call from the bride.

他本来计划周六去拍摄婚礼。然后在昨天,他接到了新娘打来的电话。

Don’t tell me the wedding is off.

别告诉我婚礼被取消了。

It is.After all that hard work,everything just went down the pan.

是的。努力做了那么多工作,一切却都掉到了锅里。

Went down the pan?What pan?

掉到了锅里?什么锅?

It’s an expression we use informallyto say something disastrous has happened.It’s not the cooking pan we are referring to here.It’s actually the toilet!

这是一种非正式的表达方式,表示发生了一些灾难性的事情。这个词在这里指的并不是烹饪用的锅。它实际上指的是厕所!

The toilet!Oh yuck!

厕所!啊,真恶心!

Just imagine, when you flush the toilet,everything gets washed down the pipe.That’s what I mean – ’down the pan’,everything’s gone!Total disaster!Here are a few examples:

想象一下,你冲完厕所之后,所有东西都被冲下管道。这就是我所说的——“泡汤了”,什么都没了!糟透了!这儿有几个例子:

Jason had great dreams of becoming a football player,but they went down the pan when he broke his leg.

詹森有一个伟大的梦想:成为一名足球运动员。但他摔断了腿,一切都泡汤了。

I’m afraid all that careful preparation we did for Jemma’s surprise birthday party went down the panwhen her brother told her about it.

恐怕我们为吉玛惊喜生日派对所做的精心准备全都泡汤了,他哥哥把这件事告诉了她。

He was ready to move into his new home,but everything went down the pan when the fire destroyed the house last night.

他准备好搬到新房子里了,但昨晚的大火烧毁了房子,一切都泡汤了。

I get it.If things are going completely wrong and a lot of effort is wastedwe can use the phrase ’down the pan’.

我懂了。如果事情完全被搞砸了,很多努力都白费了,我们就可以用“泡汤了” 这个短语。

That’s right.Er, Helen, I think you forgot to press the record button on this programme.

对。呃,海伦,我想你忘了按录音按钮来录节目。

Oh no.What a disaster.Neil, would you mind re-recording this?

噢不。这简直是灾难啊。尼尔,你介意重录一遍吗?

Helen, that’s my tea break down the pan.

海伦,我喝茶休息的时间泡汤了。

点击“阅读原文”,听更多BBC地道英语!

您可能也对以下帖子感兴趣

文章有问题?点此查看未经处理的缓存