查看原文
其他

BBC地道英语|Don't give up the day job 什么意思呢?

2018-04-08 小芳老师

提示:点击↑上方"小芳老师"免费关注哦

不要好高骛远44 29245 44 12958 0 0 7861 0 0:00:03 0:00:01 0:00:02 7858g>

Hello, this is The English We Speak, with me Feifei…

大家好!这里是地道英语,我是菲菲...

[singing badly] And me Rob. Hello!

(唱得很难听) 我是罗伯。大家好!

Err Rob, what is that terrible noise?

额,罗伯,那难听的噪音是什么?

Noise? This is my best singing voice - I need it for my new job.

噪音?这是我最好听的歌声-我新工作需要这样的歌声。

You didn’t tell me you were leaving the BBC and going to a new job.

你并没有告诉我你要离开BBC,去找新工作了啊。

I’m not - I’ve got a new part-time job in the evenings to earn a bit of extra cash [tries singing again].

没有-我只是找到一个晚上的新兼职去赚点儿外快(又尝试着唱歌)

Hmm - and this second job involves singing, does it?

额-这个兼职包括唱歌,是吗?

Yes, that’s right. I’m going to be a cabaret singer in a nightclub. Good news, isn’t it?

是的。我马上要在酒吧做名夜场歌手。是个好消息吧?

Well, Rob, don’t give up the day job!

好吧,罗伯,不要做白日梦了!

Oh - that’s an expression which means someone’s not very good at doing something and isn’t likely ever to be successful at doing it.

奥,这是个短语表达,意思是不要做自己不擅长的事情,很难成功的。

Yes - but it’s used in a humorous and light-hearted way Rob. Sorry, I was trying to be nice.

是的-但它是幽默和轻松的表达方式。不好意思,我本想和善。

OK. Well, I think we’d better hear some examples of this phrase in action while I continue to practice my singing [starts singing again].

OK.我想我们最好看一些实用的例子,我也继续练习下我的歌声(再一次开始唱歌)。

Oh,no.

奥,不要唱了!

I wouldn’t give up the day job - you’re never going to be an actor!

别做白日梦了-你不可能成为一名演员!

Do you really want to be a writer? I’ve read your first book and my advice is "don‘t give up the day job"!

你真的想成为一名作家吗?我读过你的第一本书,我的建议是:不要白日做梦了!

Don’t give up the day job Pete - you’re never going to earn a living as a singer!

皮特,不要白日做梦了-你不可能靠唱歌来养活你的!

So "don‘t give up the day job" means you should continue doing your normal job, rather than trying to turn your hobby into a career. So Rob, have you got the message?

所以说, "don’t give up the day job"的意思是你应该继续你的本职工作,而不是试图把你的业余爱好转为你的职业。所以,罗伯,你明白这个意思了吧?

Oh yes, I should stick to what I’m good at - so I’ll concentrate on doing the day job shall I?

恩,明白,我应该继续做我擅长的工作-所以我现在全神贯注做这个工作,好吗?

Yes, good idea.

好的,好主意。

OK, so why we don’t we sing together and entertain our listeners [starts singing]?!

OK,那我们可以一起唱歌啊,让我们的听众也开心一下(开始唱)?!

Oh Rob, perhaps you should give up the day job as well.

奥,罗伯,或许你应该把你擅长的工作也放弃。

Oh thanks.

哈哈,谢谢!

Bye!

拜拜!

点击“阅读原文”,听更多BBC地道英语!

您可能也对以下帖子感兴趣

文章有问题?点此查看未经处理的缓存