查看原文
其他

TED学院 | 科技比你自己更了解你是一种怎样的体验?

小芳老师 2020-09-18

提示:点击↑上方"小芳老师"免费关注



随着科技和人工智能的发展,当今他科技已经深刻地改变了我们的生活。


今天的TED演讲为大家介绍能够了解你切身感受的科技。



当科技比我们还了解我们自己,会发生什么?



What happens when technology knows more about us than we do?

当科技比我们还了解我们自己,会发生什么?


A computer now can detect our slightest facial microexpressions

目前的电脑已经可以解读 我们最精细的微表情,


and be able to tell the difference between a real smile and a fake one.

能够区分假笑和真笑。


That’s only the beginning.

这仅仅只是开始。


Technology has become incredibly intelligent

科技已经变得极度智能,


and already knows a lot about our internal states.

而且已经知道很多我们的内心状态。


And whether we like it or not,

不管喜欢与否,


we already are sharing parts of our inner lives

我们已经在分享我们的一部分私生活了,


that’s out of our control.

但这一过程却不受我们控制。


That seems like a problem,

这似乎是个麻烦,


because a lot of us like to keep what’s going on inside

因为很多人只想展示自己的表面,


from what people actually see.

而隐藏自己的内心。


We want to have agency over what we share and what we don’t.

我们希望对我们愿意和不愿意 分享的东西拥有控制权。


We all like to have a poker face.

我们都喜欢有一张不露声色的脸。


But I’m here to tell you that I think that’s a thing of the past.

但我来是想告诉你,这个想法已经过时了。


And while that might sound scary, it’s not necessarily a bad thing.

虽然听起来可怕,但这不一定是坏事。


I’ve spent a lot of time studying the circuits in the brain

我花了很多时间研究那些


that create the unique perceptual realities that we each have.

创造出我们感官世界的脑回路。


And now I bring that together

现在我将这些研究成果


with the capabilities of current technology

和当前的科技水平结合在一起,


to create new technology that does make us better,

来创造出一种全新的科技,帮助扩展


feel more, connect more.

我们的感受,和建立连接的能力。


And I believe to do that,

而且我相信要实现这一点,


we have to be OK losing some of our agency.

我们需要接受失去部分控制力的后果。


With some animals, it’s really amazing,

动物实验的研究结果很令人惊叹,


and we get to see into their internal experiences.

我们可以看到它们的内在感受。


We get this upfront look at the mechanistic interaction

我们得以全面了解


between how they respond to the world around them

它们回应世界的方式,


and the state of their biological systems.

以及它们的生物系统状态。


This is where evolutionary pressures like eating, mating

在这里,像进食,求偶 以及保护自己不被吃掉


and making sure we don’t get eaten

这些进化压力


drive deterministic behavioral responses to information in the world.

驱使着决定性的行为, 对周遭世界的信息进行回应。


And we get to see into this window,

我们可以通过这个窗口,


into their internal states and their biological experiences.

看到它们的内心状态与生理感受。


It’s really pretty cool.

这非常有意思。


Now, stay with me for a moment -- I’m a violinist, not a singer.

现在,认真听——虽然我 不是歌手,我是拉小提琴的。


But the spider’s already given me a critical review.

但这个蜘蛛已经给了我批判性的建议。


(Video) (Singing in a low pitch)

(视频)(低音歌唱)


(Singing in a middle pitch)

(音调升高)


(Singing in a high pitch)

(高音歌唱)


(Singing in a low pitch)

(低音歌唱)


(Singing in a middle pitch)

(音调升高)


(Singing in a high pitch)

(高音歌唱)


(Laughter)

(笑声 )


Poppy Crum: It turns out, some spiders tune their webs like violins

波比 · 克拉姆:事实上,很多蜘蛛 会把它们的网调得像小提琴一样,


to resonate with certain sounds.

来和某些声音产生共振。


And likely, the harmonics of my voice as it went higher

相似的,当我的声调随着


coupled with how loud I was singing

音量变大而提高时,


recreated either the predatory call of an echolocating bat or a bird,

就重造出了蝙蝠或鸟类 等捕食者靠近的警告,


and the spider did what it should.

然后蜘蛛做出了本能的反应。


It predictively told me to bug off.

它在警告我走开。


I love this.

我很喜欢这个现象。


The spider’s responding to its external world

蜘蛛在对外在世界进行回应,


in a way that we get to see and know what’s happening to its internal world.

在某种程度上,我们可以借此看见 并了解它内心世界的样子。


Biology is controlling the spider’s response;

生物学控制着蜘蛛的回应;


it’s wearing its internal state on its sleeve.

它的内心状态体现了出来。


But us, humans --

但是我们,人类,


we’re different.

我们不一样。


We like to think we have cognitive control over what people see, know and understand

我们希望可以控制他人看到, 认识以及理解到的


about our internal states --

我们的内心状态——


our emotions, our insecurities, our bluffs, our trials and tribulations --

我们的情感,不安全感, 我们的虚张声势,我们的磨难,


and how we respond.

以及我们回应的方式。


We get to have our poker face.

我们必须面不改色。


Or maybe we don’t.

或者也许,我们不用这样做。


Try this with me.

和我一起试试。


Your eye responds to how hard your brain is working.

你的眼睛会反映你的用脑情况。


The response you’re about to see is driven entirely by mental effort

你即将看到的反应 完全是由心理影响的,


and has nothing to do with changes in lighting.

与光线的改变毫无关系。


We know this from neuroscience.

我们从神经学了解到这一信息。


I promise, your eyes are doing the same thing as the subject in our lab,

我保证,你们的眼睛会发生 与我们实验室的受试者一样的变化,


whether you want them to or not.

无论你想不想这么做。


At first, you’ll hear some voices.

最初,你会听到一些声音。


Try and understand them and keep watching the eye in front of you.

试着理解它们,并注视着你面前的眼睛。


It’s going to be hard at first,

一上来可能很难。


one should drop out, and it should get really easy.

一个声音消失后,就会简单很多。


You’re going to see the change in effort in the diameter of the pupil.

你们会看到瞳孔的直径发生了改变。


(Video) (Two overlapping voices talking)

(视频)(两个重叠的声音在讲话)


(Single voice) Intelligent technology depends on personal data.

(一个声音在说话) 智能科技取决于个人数据。


(Two overlapping voices talking)

(两个重叠的声音在讲话)


(Single voice) Intelligent technology depends on personal data.

(一个声音在说话) 智能科技取决于个人数据。


PC: Your pupil doesn’t lie.

波比 · 克拉姆: 你的瞳孔不会撒谎。


Your eye gives away your poker face.

你的眼睛泄露了你真实的心理活动。


When your brain’s having to work harder,

当你的大脑需要更快地运转时,


your autonomic nervous system drives your pupil to dilate.

自动神经系统会导致瞳孔扩张,


When it’s not, it contracts.

反过来则会导致收缩。


When I take away one of the voices,

当我移除其中任何一个声道时,


the cognitive effort to understand the talkers

用来理解说话者的认知努力


gets a lot easier.

变得轻松很多。


I could have put the two voices in different spatial locations,

我可以把两个声音放在不同位置,


I could have made one louder.

或把其中一个调大,


You would have seen the same thing.

你会看到同样的结果。


We might think we have more agency over the reveal of our internal state

我们或许认为,我们掌控展现 自己内心情况的能力


than that spider,

比蜘蛛更强,


but maybe we don’t.

但或许并不是这样。


Today’s technology is starting to make it really easy

现在的科技水平使得


to see the signals and tells that give us away.

识别这些信号然后暴露 我们自己变得非常容易。


The amalgamation of sensors paired with machine learning

在我们身上,在我们四周与环境中


on us, around us and in our environments,

与机器学习相结合的传感器,


is a lot more than cameras and microphones tracking our external actions.

远不止监控着我们外在 动作的摄像头与麦克风。


Our bodies radiate our stories

我们的身体通过生理温度的改变


from changes in the temperature of our physiology.

辐射着我们的故事。


We can look at these as infrared thermal images

看一下我背后的


showing up behind me,

这些红外图像,


where reds are hotter and blues are cooler.

红色代表温度高,蓝色代表温度低。


The dynamic signature of our thermal response

我们热响应的动态信号


gives away our changes in stress,

暴露了我们的压力变化,


how hard our brain is working,

大脑的负荷程度,


whether we’re paying attention

我们是否在关注


and engaged in the conversation we might be having

并参与我们可能正在进行的对话,


and even whether we’re experiencing a picture of fire as if it were real.

甚至我们是否如实地 在感受一张火焰的图片。


We can actually see people give off heat on their cheeks

我们可以看见人们脸颊的温度上升,


in response to an image of flame.

这是对火焰图片做出的回应。


But aside from giving away our poker bluffs,

但除了泄露我们的情绪伪装,


what if dimensions of data from someone’s thermal response

如果某人的热响应数据


gave away a glow of interpersonal interest?

还暴露了其人际交往的兴趣呢?


Tracking the honesty of feelings in someone’s thermal image

追踪某人热学图像里的 真挚情感,或许会为理解


might be a new part of how we fall in love and see attraction.

我们如何坠入爱河 或被吸引提供新的信息。


Our technology can listen, develop insights and make predictions

仅仅通过分析麦克风接收的


about our mental and physical health

关于我们话语和语言的时序动态,


just by analyzing the timing dynamics of our speech and language

我们的科技就可以倾听,形成理解, 并对我们的心理和生理健康


picked up by microphones.

做出预测。


Groups have shown that changes in the statistics of our language

小组研究表明,我们语言中的变化


paired with machine learning

与机器学习相结合,


can predict the likelihood someone will develop psychosis.

可以预测某人患上精神病的几率。


I’m going to take it a step further

我会更近一步,


and look at linguistic changes and changes in our voice

去观察我们声音中的 语言变化与音调变化,


that show up with a lot of different conditions.

它们展现出了许多不同的状况。


Dementia, diabetes can alter the spectral coloration of our voice.

痴呆,糖尿病会改变 我们声音中的光谱颜色,


Changes in our language associated with Alzheimer’s

与阿尔茨海默症关联的言语变化


can sometimes show up more than 10 years before clinical diagnosis.

有时在临床诊断十年前就会出现。


What we say and how we say it tells a much richer story

我们说什么以及说话的方式, 其实比我们曾经以为的


than we used to think.

透露了更多信息。


And devices we already have in our homes could, if we let them,

而且只要我们允许,我们家里的设施


give us invaluable insight back.

也可以给我们珍贵的反馈。


The chemical composition of our breath

我们呼吸中的化学构成


gives away our feelings.

能够暴露我们的情感。


There’s a dynamic mixture of acetone, isoprene and carbon dioxide

丙酮,异戊二烯以及 二氧化碳的动态混合物


that changes when our heart speeds up, when our muscles tense,

会随我们心率的提升或肌肉的 紧张状态而改变,


and all without any obvious change in our behaviors.

尽管我们在行为上并没有明显变化。


Alright, I want you to watch this clip with me.

好了,我想让你们 和我一起看看这个片段。


Some things might be going on on the side screens,

两侧的屏幕上可能会出现一些东西,


but try and focus on the image in the front

但尝试关注中间的图像


and the man at the window.

和窗边的人。


(Eerie music)

(阴森的音乐)


(Woman screams)

(女人的尖叫)


PC: Sorry about that. I needed to get a reaction.

波比 · 克拉姆:不好意思, 我需要得到一个反应。


(Laughter)

(笑声)


I’m actually tracking the carbon dioxide you exhale in the room right now.

事实上,我正在检测 你们在房间中呼出的二氧化碳。


We’ve installed tubes throughout the theater,

我们在场馆内装了很多管道,


lower to the ground, because CO2 is heavier than air.

在贴近地面的位置, 因为二氧化碳比氧气重。


But they’re connected to a device in the back

它们连接着后台的一个设备,


that lets us measure, in real time, with high precision,

允许我们实时并高精准度地测量


the continuous differential concentration of CO2.

二氧化碳浓度的持续变化。


The clouds on the sides are actually the real-time data visualization

两边的云朵实际上是二氧化碳浓度的


of the density of our CO2.

可视数据。


You might still see a patch of red on the screen,

你们或许还会看到屏幕上的一片红色,


because we’re showing increases with larger colored clouds,

因为我们正在展示大型有色云朵的增加,


larger colored areas of red.

红色的部分变得更多。


And that’s the point where a lot of us jumped.

这是我们被吓到的时刻。


It’s our collective suspense driving a change in carbon dioxide.

我们对将要发生什么的共同期待 导致了二氧化碳的变化。


Alright, now, watch this with me one more time.

好了,我们再看一遍。


(Cheerful music)

(轻松愉悦的音乐)


(Woman laughs)

(女人的笑声)


PC: You knew it was coming.

波比 · 克拉姆: 你们已经知道会发生什么了。


But it’s a lot different when we changed the creator’s intent.

当我们改变制作者的意图时, 这就变得很不一样。


Changing the music and the sound effects

改变音乐与声效


completely alter the emotional impact of that scene.

完全改变了那个镜头的情感冲击。


And we can see it in our breath.

这一点可以在我们的呼吸中观察到。


Suspense, fear, joy

悬念,恐惧,快乐,


all show up as reproducible, visually identifiable moments.

全都是可重现的,视觉上可见的。


We broadcast a chemical signature of our emotions.

我们在“广播”我们情感的化学信号。


It is the end of the poker face.

这意味着“扑克脸”的终结。


Our spaces, our technology will know what we’re feeling.

我们的空间和科技将能够了解我们的感受。


We will know more about each other than we ever have.

我们会远比以前更了解彼此。


We get a chance to reach in and connect to the experience and sentiments

我们有机会去触碰并连接那些


that are fundamental to us as humans

在我们的感官,情感与社交中


in our senses, emotionally and socially.

作为人类基础的体验与情绪。


I believe it is the era of the empath.

我相信这是移情的时代。


And we are enabling the capabilities that true technological partners can bring

我们正在实现真正的科技伴侣所带来的


to how we connect with each other and with our technology.

如何通过科技让彼此相连的各种能力。


If we recognize the power of becoming technological empaths,

如果我们认识到了 成为科技移情者的能力,


we get this opportunity

就将得到这个机会,


where technology can help us bridge the emotional and cognitive divide.

让科技帮助我们把情感 与认知分歧联系起来。


And in that way, we get to change how we tell our stories.

在这种方式下,我们就可以 改变讲故事的方式。


We can enable a better future for technologies like augmented reality

我们可以创造一个拥有 像现实增强技术的未来,


to extend our own agency and connect us at a much deeper level.

去延伸我们的媒介,并让我们 在更深的层面进行连接。


Imagine a high school counselor being able to realize

想象一位高中学生顾问,能够了解


that an outwardly cheery student really was having a deeply hard time,

一个表面很快乐的学生实际上处境艰难,


where reaching out can make a crucial, positive difference.

这样一来,交流就可以 促成一个显著,积极的改变。


Or authorities, being able to know the difference

我们的权威机构,能够区别


between someone having a mental health crisis

一个人是存在心理健康危机,


and a different type of aggression,

还是怀有一种不同的侵略行为,


and responding accordingly.

并对此做出相应的回应。


Or an artist, knowing the direct impact of their work.

或者让艺术家可以了解 他们艺术作品的直接影响。


Leo Tolstoy defined his perspective of art

列夫 · 托尔斯泰将他对艺术的理解定义为


by whether what the creator intended

创造者的意图


was experienced by the person on the other end.

是否被观看者感受到。


Today’s artists can know what we’re feeling.

如今的艺术家可以了解我们的感受。


But regardless of whether it’s art or human connection,

但无论是艺术还是人类连接,


today’s technologies will know and can know

如今的科技都将,且能够知道


what we’re experiencing on the other side,

我们在另一端的感受。


and this means we can be closer and more authentic.

这意味着我们彼此可以更接近和更真实。


But I realize a lot of us have a really hard time

不过,我发现我们很多人不喜欢


with the idea of sharing our data,

分享我们的数据,


and especially the idea that people know things about us

尤其当知道人们会了解那些


that we didn’t actively choose to share.

我们没有主动选择分享的数据。


Anytime we talk to someone,

每当我们与别人说话,


look at someone

看着某人,


or choose not to look,

或选择避开目光接触时,


data is exchanged, given away,

数据都会被交换,被分享,


that people use to learn,

被人们用于学习,


make decisions about their lives and about ours.

对他们以及我们的生活做出决定。


I’m not looking to create a world where our inner lives are ripped open

我并不想创造一个人们的 内心生活完全暴露的世界,


and our personal data and our privacy given away

我们的数据和隐私都被暴露给


to people and entities where we don’t want to see it go.

给我们不愿分享的人和实体。


But I am looking to create a world

我想创造的,


where we can care about each other more effectively,

是一个我们可以更好地关心彼此,


we can know more about when someone is feeling something

更加了解何时有人产生了某种感觉,


that we ought to pay attention to.

而这种感觉也是我们应该关注的。


And we can have richer experiences from our technology.

我们可以利用科技获得更丰富的经验。


Any technology can be used for good or bad.

任何科技都像一面双刃剑。


Transparency to engagement and effective regulation

参与的透明和有效的监管


are absolutely critical to building the trust for any of this.

对在其中建立信任非常重要。


But the benefits that "empathetic technology" can bring to our lives

但是 "技术移情" 可以为我们带来的好处,


are worth solving the problems that make us uncomfortable.

值得我们去解决那些 让我们感到不舒服的问题。


And if we don’t, there are too many opportunities and feelings

而且如果不这么做,我们就将错过


we’re going to be missing out on.

太多的机会与感受。


Thank you.

谢谢大家。



我们一起投身科技的蓝海吧!

 动画 | 10部美剧 | 专八全科 | 新概念 | 老友记 | 动画2

89奥斯卡 | 专四 | 英语智力竞赛 | 美语发音| BEC | PPT模板

关注小芳老师 

听哈利波特,看TED视频

转发和点赞是我持续更新的动力


资源来自网络,如果有侵权,即刻删除!

看见这个好看了吗你懂我意思☟☟☟

    您可能也对以下帖子感兴趣

    文章有问题?点此查看未经处理的缓存