查看原文
其他

The Lessons of Good Karma 善业的启示

2017-07-19 全球生死超越功德藏



https://v.qq.com/txp/iframe/player.html?vid=u0521fnha0r&width=500&height=375&auto=0
The Lessons of Good Karma 善业的启示


Thanissaro Bhikkhu April 14, 2016Bodhi Wood 字幕组

Content on this page is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.


We look around us and we see a lot of people who

我们看看周围,会发现很多人 

have mastered a particular profession or a particular skill, 

他们专精于某个职业或者技术

and they are very good at that.

很精通于它。

 but the rest of their lives are a mess. 

但是除此之外,他们的生活一团糟

They can be real bastards, are the horrible people in their dealings with others 

他们也可是大混蛋,在与他人打交道时很恐怖

or in the uses to which they put that skill.

或者用他们的专长为非作歹

The Dhamma's different. 

但是佛法就不同

To really learn the Dhamma, you have to become a good person.

想要真正学习佛法,你必须成为一个好人

This doesn't mean that you have to start out good,

并不是要求你一开始就是好人 

but it does mean that you have to develop a full range of virtues, all around, 

但是它意味着你必须开发出全面的德行

if you're really going to understand what the Buddha's talking about—and “understanding” it means not just understanding the words, 

如果你真的打算明白佛陀的教法,“明白”不是仅仅知道字面意思

but getting to the meaning.

是要去深入法义

The word “meaning” in Pali: attha, a-t-t-h-a, it's different from atta which is "self", a-t-t-h-a, attha.

“意义”巴利语是attha,atta的意思是“我”

also means goal.

attha也有目标的意思

So when we talk about the meaning of the Dhamma, 

所以当我们谈到法义的时候

 It's meant to take you to a goal.

它也指带你达到目标



This is not just “meaning” in terms of translating it into other words, but translating into changes in your mind, 

“意义”不仅仅是转换成另外一种语言,还要转换你的心

bringing about an experience, an understanding.

促成某种亲身体验,某种理解

And to have that experience and understanding requires lots of virtues.

这种体验和理解,要求有许多好品德

With the techniques of the meditation, you can learn how to focus on the breath.

通过禅修的技巧,你可以学会如何专注于呼吸

But as the Buddha said, 

但是如佛陀所言,

you could be a person of little integrity and yet still do the meditation in the sense of getting the mind to be quiet for a while. 

如果品行不具足,也还是可以禅修,让心得到暂时的安宁

But then you'd start misusing that quiet state, 

但是就会误用那种安宁的状态

and that would get in the way of the deeper attainments, the really good part of the Dhamma, 

这样就会阻止你取得更深的成就,

不能达到佛法真正的妙处

what the Buddha called the “essence of the Dhamma.”

佛陀所谓的“法之精要”

starts with being honest and observant. 

始于诚实和善于观察

As he once said, “Let a person come who is honest and observant, 

佛陀曾经说:“只有诚实和善于观察的人

someone who's no dissembler, and I'll teach that person the Dhamma.” 

不虚伪的人,我才教导他佛法。“

Honest, in the sense of being willing to observe 

诚实,就是愿意去观察

what's really going on in your mind, and admit to yourself what's going on in your mind. 

如实观察自己的心,如实承认自己的心理活动


Honesty is not just the way you treat other people. It's also the way you treat your internal conversation. 

诚实不只是对待他人的方式,诚实也指你对待自己内心活动的方式

Of course, you observe and see what's going on first, 

当然,你首先要观察内心的活动

then you admit to yourself, and then you can learn. 

并且对自己坦白,这样才能学习

So this comes down to honesty and an ability to really see things 

所以要诚实,具有如实观照的能力

and notice what's going on and not just be apathetic and let things pass by.

注意到自己的内心,不是漠不关心地让它们消失

In another passage where the Buddha's teaching karma, he starts with the virtues of generosity and gratitude. 

在另外一部经里,佛陀教导业的道理,他首先讲布施和感恩的功德

For most of us, when we hear about karma there's that, “Oh darn” moment, 

我们大多数人,听到“业”这个词

本能反应就是:“哦,该死。”

where we start thinking about all the bad things we did in the past and all the bad things that are going to happen to us in the future because of that.

我们想到的是我们过去干的所有坏事,想到这些坏事将要带来的后果。

But the Buddha doesn't start with that issue at at all. He does say that certain actions tend to lead to certain results, 

但是佛陀并不是这样开始的,

他是说过行为必定造成一定的结果

but the fact that a past bad action has happened doesn't mean that 

但事实上,过去干的坏事并不意味着

the future can't make some changes in how it's going to be experienced.

未来我们不能改变我们对结果感受的方式



There is an analogy the Buddha gave us that

佛陀讲了一个譬喻

a crystal of salt. 

一块盐

You've got a crystal of salt, say, the size of your fist.

譬喻你拳头那么大的一块盐

If you put it into a cup of water, you can't drink the water because the water is way too salty. 

如果将它放在一杯水里,就太咸了,不能饮用

But if you put it into a large, expansive river of clean water, you can still drink the water in the river.

但是如果你将它放在清澈宽广的河水里,你还是可以饮用河里的水

In the same way, if you develop an expansive mind, 

同样道理,你扩大你的心量

the things that happen from the past, even though they may be large crystals of salt, 

过去发生的事情,虽然像一大块盐

don't necessarily mean you have to suffer. 

但是并不必然会让你受苦

So when the Buddha's teaching karma, 

所以当佛陀教导“业”的时候

it's not solely for the purpose of making you feel bad about you've done in the past. 

并不是要让你为过去犯过的错误感到糟糕

He always emphasizes the fact that you have to realize you've made mistakes in the past, 

他总是强调这个事实:你要认识到过去的错误

but you can resolve not to do them again. 

但是你可以下决心不再去犯那个错误

Then you develop an expansive mind: a mind of goodwill, a mind of compassion and empathy,  a mind of equanimity. 

这样你开发扩展你的心:慈悲喜舍之心

A mind that is trained not to be overcome by pleasure or by pain. 

这种得到训练的心,不会被苦乐所击垮

A mind developed in virtue and discernment. 

在德性和智慧之中得到锻炼的心

These qualities expand your mind, so what comes in from the past doesn't have to make you suffer.

这些品质扩大了你的心量

过去的事情也不必让你受苦

What the Buddha does emphasize when he introduces the topic of karma 

在谈到“业”这个问题,佛陀强调的是

is on one hand, you need to be responsible

一方面,你需要负起责任

 and look at the present moment

观察当下这一刻


not worry about the past, your focus on the present moment: what are you doing right now? 

不要为过去担忧,

专注于当下:你现在在干什么?

When he was teaching karma to his son, 

当佛陀对他的儿子开示“业”的道理时

basically what he was teaching was how to be honest and how to be observant, 

他所教导的基本就是怎么样诚实,善于观察

that his son would be a good enough person to learn the Dhamma to begin with. 

开始学习佛法的时候,就要这样成为一个好人

First, he reminds his son of the virtue of being truthful. 

第一,就是提醒他儿子:诚实的美德

Then he tells him, “Look at your actions. 

然后他说:观察你的行为

What are you doing? 

你在干什么?

When you do something, what do you expect is going to come from that action? 

当你做某事的时候,你觉得会从中得到什么?

If you expect anything harmful, don't do it.

如果会从中得到有害的东西,就别做

If you don't foresee any harm, you can go ahead and do it.

如果你看不到任何害处,你就可以去做

“While you're acting, 

“当你行动的时候,

if any harm comes up”—because, after all, some of your actions have immediate results; you don't have to wait until the next lifetime. 

如果有任何不好的苗头“因为有些行为

能立刻产生结果,并不需要等到下一世

It's like spitting into the wind. You don't have to wait for the next lifetime for the spit to come back at you. 

就像逆风而唾。你不需要等到来生,唾沫就会返回到你身上。

“So if any harmful results are coming up, you stop what you're doing. 

所以当有坏结果出现,你就要停止你的行为

Don't feel that you're committed to the action.

不要被那个行为所绑架了

 If you don't see any harm, you can continue with what you're doing. 

如果你看不到坏处,你就可以继续

Then when you're done, you look at the long-term results.” 

当你做完了,以后就可以看到长期的结果

This is where the honesty has to come in, and the ability to be observant, 

这里就需要诚实,并且要有善于观察的能力

seeing what you did

看看你做过什么

 and being truthful about it.

诚实对待自己的所作所为

If you made a mistake, you go talk it over with someone else,

如果你犯错了,告诉别人

 someone who's more advanced on the path so that you can get some good ideas on how not to repeat the mistake. 

告诉修行上更有经验的人,他们可以给你好建议,让你不再重犯错误

If you see no bad results, then take pleasure in the fact; 

如果观察不到坏结果,那么就安心于这个事实

take joy in the fact that you're making progress on the path

安心于自己修行的进展

 and try to continue with the progress. 

那就这样继续你的修行

The Buddha's teaching a lot of good qualities of the character here. 

佛陀教导了许多好的品质

He's teaching compassion: You don't want to harm anybody. 

他教导慈心:不想伤害任何人

He's teaching integrity, teaching the ability to take responsibility for your actions. 

他教导正直的品行,对自己的行为负责

and a desire and a willingness to learn, 

他同样教导要有学习的意愿

and he's showing you how to do it.

并且向我们展示如何去做

So this is how you become honest. This is how you become even more observant. 

所以,这就是你怎样变得诚实,并且更加善于观察

This is how you make good use of the teaching on karma. 

这就是你善于利用“业”之教导的方法

Instead of getting upset about things you've done in the past, you say, “Look, I can focus on the present moment and that'll make all the difference.” 

不是为过去的事情而忧伤,你要说:“看,我能专注于当下,做出改变。”

And then you can learn from what you do in the present moment.

然后,你就可以从现在的所作所为得到学习

In another place where the Buddha introduces karma,

佛陀在其他地方也介绍“业”

 the main emphasis is

 on generosity and gratitude, 

主要强调“布施”和“感恩”

focusing on the fact that people do have choices, 

强调大家都能自己抉择

and the fact that it's because we have choices, 

因为我们能自我抉择

the choices that we will be responsible for, 

我们就要为此负起责任

That's why generosity means something. 

这就是“布施”的意义所在



A lot of people don't like the idea of responsibility. 

许多人不喜欢责任

They'd rather have karma-free zones in large areas of their lives 

他们希望生活中有大片的无“业”之地

where they can do what they want and not have to deal with the results, 

随心所欲,不需要对后果负责

or have someone else protect them from the results. 

或者让别人来保护自己,不用负责

But that's a childish attitude.

这是很幼稚的态度

If you wanted to live in a world where your actions had no results, that would also mean that generosity would have no meaning. 

如果你想生活在一个无业的世界,这样意味着布施没有任何意义

Gratitude would have no meaning. 

感恩也没有任何意义

Actions would just be thrown around, 

你可以胡作非为

without any consequences—but they wouldn't have any meaning at all.

不必产生任何后果——但是也没有任何意义

It's because we are responsible for our actions that they do have meaning. 

因为我们要对自己的行为负责,所以行为才有意义

So when other people help us, we have to think about the extent to which they went out of their way: 

当别人帮助我们,我们要知道他们付出的艰辛

That might not have always been easy for them. 

对于他们来说,并非总是容易的

And you want to have gratitude for that.

你想为此而感激他

Gratitude here is something that's stronger than appreciation. 

这种感激比欣赏更强烈

We can appreciate the sun. We can appreciate the sky and the trees, 

我们可以对太阳、天空和树木表示欣赏

appreciate just the way things are 

欣赏事物的本来面目

But gratitude is something different. 

但是感恩是不同的

Gratitude is for actions that people have done. The word in Pali, Kataññu, literally means having a sense or an awareness of what was done.

感恩是对于人们的行为

巴利语叫Kataññu,字面意思是觉知到行为

And that deserves a special quality of the heart

配得上心的特殊品质 

more than just appreciating how nice things can be.

远甚于欣赏事物之美好

You realize that somebody had to do something,

你意识到某人需要去做某事 

for somebody, things to be nice,

为了某人,事情更美好

some of your conditions in life to be good. 

生存的某些境遇变得美好

If you don't have any gratitude for that, it's very unlikely that you're going to go out of your way to help others.

如果你对此没有感恩,你就不太可能不厌其烦地去帮助别人

This connects with what the Buddha said about generosity. 

这与佛陀所讲的“布施”有关

The fact that we have choices and our choices have results 

我们可以做抉择,我们的抉择会产生结果

means that when you think of being generous to someone else, 

意味着我们想到会对他人布施的时候

that's a good thing, that's to be encouraged. It really does have meaning. 

这是好事情,值得鼓励

这真正是有意义的

There's a sutta where the Buddha says that if you're stingy, there's no way you're going to be able to attain jhana; and there's no way at all that you're going to attain any of the noble attainments. 

佛陀在经文里讲过,如果吝啬,就不能获得禅那,也不能获得任何圣果

It's good to think about why. 

值得去想一想其中的原因

If you're generous, if you take something over which you have rights, no one can force you to give it away, but you decide you want to give it away: 

如果你愿意布施,你对于自己享有权利的东西,不需要别人强迫,自愿地布施出去

The internal dialogue that goes with that is good for the mind

这种内在的心理活动是有益处的

the dialogue where you can overcome your greed, overcome your aversion, 

这种心理活动战胜了你的贪与嗔

overcome all the unskillful things that would get in the way of being generous 

战胜了所有不善巧,它们会成为布施的障碍

and freely give something away. 

障碍了自在地进行布施

You've lifted yourself above 

your defilements, and it was a free choice.

你将自己从染污之中脱离,自由抉择

This is why there are lots of rules for the monks around how they treat the generosity of lay people. 

所以出家人有很多戒条来回应在家人的布施

Monks are the beneficiaries of generosity 

出家人是这种布施的受益人

so we have to be very careful that we don't abuse that position. 

所以我们出家人要非常小心,不要滥用我们的身份

And one of the things that the Buddha says is that if someone asks you, “Where should I give?” 

佛陀曾经说过,如果有人问你:“应该在什么地方布施?”

you say, “Give where you feel inspired; where you feel that it will be well used and well taken care of.” 

你就回答:“布施在你受到启发的地方,布施在能发挥最大作用的地方。”

That's it. 

就是如此。

You don't go out fund-raising. 

你不需要去化缘

You don't go out making hints that you'd like this or like that. 

你不需要去暗示你喜欢这个,喜欢那个

You wait for people to make the offer. If they make the offer—if they say, “Let me know what you need”—that's a special case. 

你等待人们的布施。如果他们布施,他们问:“告诉我,你需要什么。”这是特殊情况

But even then, you don't want them to abuse their generosity. 

但是即使这样,你也滥用他们的慷慨。

Ajaan Fuang said that he was always very careful around this issue. 

阿姜放说,对此他常常十分小心

The only things he would ask for would be Dhamma books and medicine. 

他只要求经书或者药品

That was it.

仅此而已

In other words, things that were really necessary.

换言之,就是必须之物

The reason why there are all these rules around generosity is because the Buddha wants to preserve the freeness of the gift.

为什么有许多关于布施的戒条,因为佛陀想保护布施之自由

 the free choice involved in the gift, 

确保布施是自由的抉择

because it's in that internal dialogue: how to give up a particular object, 

因为在内心活动:如何舍弃特定之物

how to give up a little bit of money that it costs to buy something 

如何舍弃钱财

or how to give up the time that you could use for something you want to do, and instead you make a gift of that to someone else to help them, 

舍弃自己的时间,用来布施给其他人

or you give your energy or you give of your forgiveness 

或者布施你的精力,布施你的宽恕

in places where it's hard.

在别人的困境之中

That internal dialogue where you can talk yourself into doing the right thing 

这种内心的活动中,你告诉自己做正确的事情

is a good exercise for the mind, 

这是对心的良好训练

because after all, as you get the mind into meditation, 

因为,当你的心禅修中

you're going to have to be giving up a lot of other things that again, are your right to hold on to. 

你需要舍弃许多其他的东西,你有权利持有的东西

You have the perfect right to sit here and think lustful thoughts for an hour, or angry thoughts for an hour,

你有权利坐在这里升起一小时的欲念,或者一个小时的嗔念

but then what would you gain? 

但是你会获得什么?

The mind would get even more lustful, get even more likely to be angry. You would shorten your fuse.

 你的心会变得更加贪婪,更加嗔怒,让你更加急躁

But once you learn to give these things up of your own free will 

但是一旦你出于自愿,舍弃这些

and learn how to talk yourself into putting them down and letting them stay down,

学习如何与自己对话,放下它们,让它们安静下来

you've learned an important skill. 

你就学到了一个重要的技巧

This is one of the reasons why generosity is so essential throughout the practice. 

布施在修行中是很关键,这是原因之一

Luang Pu Dune used to like to say that 

龙普敦曾经说

the whole practice is one thing all clear through, from the beginning to the very end. 

整个修行,只有一件事是明确的,自始至终

It's all about letting go. 

就是:放下

Well, to let go requires an internal dialogue, 

当然,放下需要一个内在的对话

where the good side of your nature takes charge over the greedier or more narrow side of your nature 

就是你本性中好的方面战胜了贪婪、狭隘的方面

so that you can develop the goodness that's required for the Dhamma - 

所以你就开发出善法的品质

so you can actually understand and see the Dhamma, experience the Dhamma.

这样你就可以理解、见到法,经历到法

So look at your opportunities to be generous 

观察布施的机会

as opportunities to see and understand the Dhamma, 

它们也是见法、知法的机会,

 to practice that internal dialogue that's needed in areas where you discover that you're more attached. 

当你发现你越来越执着,你就要修习这种内在的对话

Certain things you can give away and it's no big deal, 

有些东西你可以舍弃,这没什么了不起

but certain of your defilements,

 certain types of greed or aversion, 

但是有些染污,有些贪嗔

things you really like, you're really attached to: 

你是很执着的

You tend to identify yourself around them - “This is the way I am and it's going to take a long time for me to change” – that kind of attitude.

你将它们等同于自己的身份:“我就是这样的,如果要改变,需要很长的时间“,这种态度

 If you haven't learned how to be generous, it's going to be hard to give up these things that are even stickier,

如果你没有学会如何布施,就很难舍弃这些更黏着的东西

where the attachment goes even deeper. So it's good to make a practice of generosity so that

你对他们的执着更深。

So it's good to make a practice of generosity so that you can begin chipping away 

所以修习布施是很好的,你可以逐步瓦解它们

and learning the skills you need to give up the things over which you have a perfect right to keep, 

学会技巧,舍弃那些你理所当然拥有的东西

but are really not in your own best interest to keep with you.

如果你不放弃这些,对你没有真实的利益

You'd be much better off letting them go.

放下它们,你就会更好





全球免费、免邮恭请

陀罗尼经被、念佛机、佩戴咒轮、金光明沙。


往期精彩回顾

当轮回的生命与圆明事业相遇【生死超越】

如果有轮回,你准备好了吗?—— 【生死超越】

真正的佛行事业是让自己醒來 让一切众生也醒来

【普明蓮華威权事业金刚上师】

我们那么努力地开启这些佛行事业,为了什么?

【普明莲华威权事业金刚上师】

我们所有的修行,到底是在修什么?

除了上师,这个世界没风景

【普明莲华威权事业金刚上师】

分享一首优美的印度诗《触摸真实的自己》

你伤害了我,我怎样一笑而过

濮存晰朗诵《生存还是毁灭》

林夕:从佛法中参悟爱情的无常

我问佛:为何我心里满是忧伤

这个世界早该塌了,连琼瑶都不相信爱情了

人世间,爱欲中,独生独死独轮回

梁东:你为什么不快乐?(深度好文,读懂了会哭)

她 | 母亲龙应台,温柔也是一种力量

赖声川:生命只有一次,谁有把握完美

【舍下吧.舍下吧】天上的行云啊,一生都没有家

许巍写给玄奘大师的歌!

朴树发布震撼的朝圣电影《冈仁波齐》主题歌《No Fear In My Heart》,好听得不要不要的......

跟韩磊一起唱响《五台山》

看似复杂的人生 梳理一下 不过如此

那年,那山——冈仁波切

寻访五台山那个最美的男子

一群美国人坐在一起唱“阿迷陀佛”

许巍:这首《空谷幽兰》是献给弘一大师的......

她是成为了国际巨星的比丘尼,从家暴走向寺庙,从黑暗走向传奇......




圆明集团其它佛行事业

全球免费结缘解脱资具!!!

圆明·全球任运光明解脱筷功德藏

心灵觉醒的环保事业——手帕君行动

正见音声这里听· 【圆明全球听闻解脱功德藏】

【亿万签名】正式上线|反家暴,让爱拒绝伤害!

玛尼石,能量石,转运石——圆满您一切愿望的摩尼宝

圆明•全球环保功德藏 | 以虔诚心做良品纸,爱护人类家园

【圆明全球转经轮功德藏】依莲师授记而开显之最胜佛行事业!

圆明公益 | 线上线下万人签名引起轰动…今天,你签名了吗?

观音诞辰 | 【圆明全球福运光明尊胜宝瓶功德藏】震撼上线!!!




点击【阅读原文】了解“ 圆明文化事业 

您可能也对以下帖子感兴趣

文章有问题?点此查看未经处理的缓存