查看原文
其他

TED演讲 | 犯错的价值

墨安 TED每日推荐 2023-02-15


| 简介

每个人都会避免犯错,但或许避免犯错本身就是一种错误?“犯错家”凯瑟琳舒尔茨告诉我们,或许我们不应该只承认错误,更应该大力拥抱人性中“我错故我在”的本质


| 音频 + 视频


| 中英对照演讲稿



向上滑动阅览


So it's 1995, I'm in college, and a friend and I go on a road trip from Providence, Rhode Island to Portland, Oregon.

当时是95年,我在上大学,我和一个朋友开车去玩,从罗得岛的普罗旺斯区出发到奥勒冈州的波特兰市。

And you know, we're young and unemployed, so we do the whole thing on back roads through state parks and national forests

我们年轻,无业,于是整个旅程都在乡间小道,经过州立公园和国家保护森林,

basically the longest route we can possibly take.

我们尽可能绕着最长的路径。

And somewhere in the middle of South Dakota, I turn to my friend and I ask her a question that's been bothering me for 2,000 miles.

在南达科塔州之中某处,我转向我的朋友,问她一个两千英里路途上一直烦恼我的问题。

"What's up with the Chinese character I keep seeing by the side of the road?"

“路边那个一直出现的中文文字到底是什么?”

My friend looks at me totally blankly. There's actually a gentleman in the front row who's doing a perfect imitation of her look.

我的朋友露出疑惑的神情,正如现在坐在第一排的这三位男士所露出的神情一样。

And I'm like, "You know, all the signs we keep seeing with the Chinese character on them."

我说,“你知道的,我们一直看到的那个路牌,写着中文的那个啊。”

She just stares at me for a few moments, and then she cracks up, because she figures out what I'm talking about. 

她瞪着我的脸一阵子,突然笑开了,因为她总算知道我所指为何。

And what I'm talking about is this.

我说的是这个。

Right, the famous Chinese character for picnic area.

没错,这就是代表野餐区的那个中文文字。

I've spent the last five years of my life thinking about situations exactly like this

过去的五年,我一直在思考刚刚我所描述的状况,

why we sometimes misunderstand the signs around us, and how we behave when that happens, and what all of this can tell us about human nature.

为什么我们会对身边的征兆产生误解,当误解发生时我们作何反应,以及这一切所告诉我们的人性。

In other words, as you heard Chris say, I've spent the last five years thinking about being wrong.

换句话说,就像Chris刚才说的,过去五年的时间我都在思考错误的价值。

This might strike you as a strange career move, but it actually has one great advantage: no job competition.

你可能觉得这是个奇异的专业,但有一项好处是不容置疑的:没有竞争者。

In fact, most of us do everything we can to avoid thinking about being wrong,

事实上,我们大部分的人都尽力不思考错误的价值,

or at least to avoid thinking about the possibility that we ourselves are wrong.

或至少避免想到我们有可能犯错。

We get it in the abstract. We all know everybody in this room makes mistakes.

我们都知道这个模糊的概念。我们都知道这里的每个人都曾经犯错。

The human species, in general, is fallible -- okay fine.

人类本来就会犯错--没问题。

But when it comes down to me, right now, to all the beliefs I hold, here in the present tense,

一旦这个想法临到我们自身,我们现在所有的所有的信念,

suddenly all of this abstract appreciation of fallibility goes out the window -- and I can't actually think of anything I'm wrong about.

对人类可能犯错的抽象概念,随即被我们抛弃,我无法想到我有哪里出错。

And the thing is, the present tense is where we live.

但是,我们活在现在。

We go to meetings in the present tense; we go on family vacations in the present tense; we go to the polls and vote in the present tense.

我们开会,去家庭旅游,去投票,全都是现在式。

So effectively, we all kind of wind up traveling through life, trapped in this little bubble of feeling very right about everything.

我们就像现在一个小泡泡里经历人生,感觉自己总是对的。

I think this is a problem. I think it's a problem for each of us as individuals, in our personal and professional lives,

我认为这是个问题。我认为这是每个人私人生活和职业生活中的问题,

and I think it's a problem for all of us collectively as a culture.

我认为我们身为群体,这也造成了文化问题。

So what I want to do today is, first of all, talk about why we get stuck inside this feeling of being right.

于是,我今天想做的是,先谈谈为什么我们会陷在这种自以为是的心态中。

And second, why it's such a problem.

第二是为什么这是个问题。

And finally, I want to convince you that it is possible to step outside of that feeling and that if you can do so,

最后我想说服大家,克服这种感觉是可能的,而且一旦你做到了,

it is the single greatest moral, intellectual and creative leap you can make.

这将成为你道德上、智性上和创意上最大的进步。

So why do we get stuck in this feeling of being right?

为什么我们会陷在这种自以为是的心态中?

One reason, actually, has to do with a feeling of being wrong.

事实上这和犯错的感觉有关。

So let me ask you guys something -- or actually, let me ask you guys something, because you're right here:

我想问问你们,让我问问台上的你们,

How does it feel -- emotionally -- how does it feel to be wrong?

当你意识到自己犯错了,你感觉如何?

Dreadful. Thumbs down. Embarrassing. Okay, wonderful, great. Dreadful, thumbs down, embarrassing

糟透了。很差劲。难堪。很好,是的。很糟糕,很差劲,很难堪。

thank you, these are great answers, but they're answers to a different question.

谢谢你们提供这些答案,但这些答案没有回答我的问题。

You guys are answering the question: How does it feel to realize you're wrong?

你们回答的问题是:当你意识到你犯错的时候,你的感觉如何?

Realizing you're wrong can feel like all of that and a lot of other things, right?

意识到你犯错了就会有刚刚所说的这些感觉,不是吗?

I mean it can be devastating, it can be revelatory, it can actually be quite funny, like my stupid Chinese character mistake.

令人沮丧,暴露了一些真实,有时候甚至有些好笑,就像我误以为路牌是中文。

But just being wrong doesn't feel like anything.

但犯错本身,事实上毫无感觉。

I'll give you an analogy.

让我给你一个例子。

Do you remember that Loony Tunes cartoon where there's this pathetic coyote who's always chasing and never catching a roadrunner?

你记得卡通里那个总是在追逐却从未抓到猎物的土狼吗?

In pretty much every episode of this cartoon,

几乎在每一集里,

there's a moment where the coyote is chasing the roadrunner and the roadrunner runs off a cliff, which is fine -- he's a bird, he can fly.

它的猎物--一只走鹃鸟都会跳下悬崖,反正它是鸟,它可以飞。

But the thing is, the coyote runs off the cliff right after him.

但土狼也会跟着它一起跳崖。

And what's funny -- at least if you're six years old -- is that the coyote's totally fine too.

那很好笑--如果你是个六岁儿童,土狼也很好。

He just keeps running -- right up until the moment that he looks down and realizes that he's in mid-air. That's when he falls.

它就这么继续跑--直到它往下看,发现自己漫步在空中。这时候他才会往下掉。

When we're wrong about something -- not when we realize it, but before that

在我们犯错时,在我们意识到我们犯错时,

we're like that coyote after he's gone off the cliff and before he looks down.

我们就像那只土狼,还没意识到自己奔出悬崖。

You know, we're already wrong, we're already in trouble, but we feel like we're on solid ground.

我们已经错了,已经惹上麻烦了,但仍然感觉像走在地上。

So I should actually correct something I said a moment ago.

所以我应该更正一下我刚才说的

It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right.

犯错的感觉就和正确的感觉一样。

So this is one reason, a structural reason, why we get stuck inside this feeling of rightness.

事实上,我们这种自以为对的感受是有构造性的原因的。

I call this error blindness. Most of the time,

我称之为错误盲点。大部分的时间里,

we don't have any kind of internal cue to let us know that we're wrong about something, until it's too late.

我们身体里没有任何机制提醒我们错了,直到木已成舟。

But there's a second reason that we get stuck inside this feeling as well -- and this one is cultural.

但还有第二个理由,文化性的理由。

Think back for a moment to elementary school.

回想小学时代。

You're sitting there in class, and your teacher is handing back quiz papers, and one of them looks like this.

你坐在课堂里。你的老师发回小考考卷,像这样的小考考卷。

This is not mine, by the way.

虽然这张不是我的。

So there you are in grade school, and you know exactly what to think about the kid who got this paper.

你从小学时代就知道该对拿这张考卷的同学下什么评语。

It's the dumb kid, the troublemaker, the one who never does his homework.

笨蛋,捣蛋鬼,从不做功课的坏学生。你

So by the time you are nine years old, you've already learned,

不过才九岁,你已经懂得,

first of all, that people who get stuff wrong are lazy, irresponsible dimwits

首先,那些犯错的人都是懒惰、不负责任的傻瓜,

and second of all, that the way to succeed in life is to never make any mistakes.

第二,想要在人生中成功,就不要犯错。

We learn these really bad lessons really well.

我们很早就得到这些错误信息。

And a lot of us -- and I suspect, especially a lot of us in this room

而我们,尤其是这个大厅里的许多人,

deal with them by just becoming perfect little A students, perfectionists, over-achievers.

都因此成为好学生,拿全A、完美主义、永不满意。

Right, Mr. CFO, astrophysicist, ultra-marathoner?

不是吗?财务长、天体物理学家、超级马拉松先生们?

You're all CFO, astrophysicists, ultra-marathoners, it turns out. Okay, so fine.

结果是你们全成了财务长、天体物理学家、跑超级马拉松。那很好。

Except that then we freak out at the possibility that we've gotten something wrong.

但一旦我们发现有可能犯错,就开始手足无措。

Because according to this, getting something wrong means there's something wrong with us.

因为依照规定,犯错代表我们一定也有什么不对劲。

So we just insist that we're right, because it makes us feel smart and responsible and virtuous and safe.

于是我们坚持己见,因为那让我们感觉聪明、得体、安全和可靠。

So let me tell you a story. A couple of years ago, a woman comes into Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center for a surgery.

让我告诉你们一个故事。几年前,一个女人到Beth Israel Deaconess诊所做手术。

Beth Israel's in Boston. It's the teaching hospital for Harvard -- one of the best hospitals in the country.

Beth Israel在波士顿。是哈佛大学的教学附属医院,全国数一数二的医疗中心。

So this woman comes in and she's taken into the operating room.

这个女人被送进手术室。

She's anesthetized, the surgeon does his thing -- stitches her back up, sends her out to the recovery room.

麻醉,外科医生做完手术,缝合,将她送进恢复室。

Everything seems to have gone fine. And she wakes up,

一切看上去都很好。她醒来,

and she looks down at herself, and she says, "Why is the wrong side of my body in bandages?"

往自己身上一看,说“为甚么我的左腿绑着绷带?”

Well the wrong side of her body is in bandages because the surgeon has performed a major operation on her left leg instead of her right one.

她应该接受治疗的是右腿,但为他做手术的外科医生却把刀开在左腿。

When the vice president for health care quality at Beth Israel spoke about this incident, he said something very interesting.

当副院长出来为医院的医疗质量和这次意外做出解释时,他说了句很有趣的话。

He said, "For whatever reason, the surgeon simply felt that he was on the correct side of the patient."

他说,“无论如何,这位外科医生感觉他开下的刀是在正确的一侧”。

The point of this story is that trusting too much in the feeling of being on the correct side of anything can be very dangerous.

故事的重点是,相信自己的判断力,相信自己站在对的一边,是非常危险的。

This internal sense of rightness that we all experience so often

我们心中时常感觉到的理直气壮的感觉,

is not a reliable guide to what is actually going on in the external world.

在真实世界中并不是个可靠的向导。

And when we act like it is, and we stop entertaining the possibility that we could be wrong,

当我们依此行事,不再思考我们是否犯错,

well that's when we end up doing things like dumping 200 million gallons of oil into the Gulf of Mexico, or torpedoing the global economy.

我们就有可能把两百万加仑的石油倒进墨西哥湾,或是颠覆世界经济。

So this is a huge practical problem. But it's also a huge social problem.

这是个很实际的问题,这也是个很大的社会问题。

Think for a moment about what it means to feel right.

想想“感觉对”究竟是什么意思。

It means that you think that your beliefs just perfectly reflect reality.

这代表着你认为你的信念和真实是一致的。

And when you feel that way, you've got a problem to solve,

当你有这种感觉的时候,你的问题就大了,

which is, how are you going to explain all of those people who disagree with you?

因为如果你是对的,为什么还有人和你持不同意见?

It turns out, most of us explain those people the same way, by resorting to a series of unfortunate assumptions.

于是我们往往用同一种思考方式去解释这些异议。

The first thing we usually do when someone disagrees with us is we just assume they're ignorant.

第一是当他人不同意我们的说法,我们便觉得他们无知。

They don't have access to the same information that we do,

他们不像我们懂得这么多,

and when we generously share that information with them, they're going to see the light and come on over to our team.

当我们慷慨地和他们分享我们的知识,他们便会理解,并加入我们的行列。

When that doesn't work, when it turns out those people have all the same facts that we do and they still disagree with us,

如果不是这样,如果这些人和我们获得的信息一样多却仍然不认同我们,

then we move on to a second assumption, which is that they're idiots.

我们便有了下一个定论,那就是他们是白痴。

They have all the right pieces of the puzzle, and they are too moronic to put them together correctly.

他们已经有了所有的信息,却笨到无法拼凑出正确的图像。

And when that doesn't work, when it turns out that people who disagree with us have all the same facts we do and are actually pretty smart,

一旦第二个定论也不成立,当这些反对我们的人和我们有一样的信息又聪明,

then we move on to a third assumption: they know the truth,

我们便有了第三个结论:他们知道事实是什么,

and they are deliberately distorting it for their own malevolent purposes. So this is a catastrophe.

但却为了自己的好处故意曲解真实。这真是个大灾难。

This attachment to our own rightness keeps us from preventing mistakes when we absolutely need to and causes us to treat each other terribly.

我们的自以为是,让我们在最需要的时候无法预防犯错,更让我们互相仇视。

But to me, what's most baffling and most tragic about this is that it misses the whole point of being human.

对我来说,最大的悲剧是它让我们错失了身为人的珍贵意义。

It's like we want to imagine that our minds are just these perfectly translucent windows

那就像是想象我们的心灵之窗完全透明,

and we just gaze out of them and describe the world as it unfolds.

我们向外观看,描述在我们之前展开的世界。

And we want everybody else to gaze out of the same window and see the exact same thing.

我们想要每个人和我们有一样的窗子,对世界做出一样的观察。

That is not true, and if it were, life would be incredibly boring.

那不是真的,如果是,人生将会多么无聊。

The miracle of your mind isn't that you can see the world as it is.

心灵的神奇之处不在你懂得这个世界是什么样子。

It's that you can see the world as it isn't.

而是去理解那些你不懂的地方。

We can remember the past, and we can think about the future,

我们记得过去,思考未来,

and we can imagine what it's like to be some other person in some other place.

我们想象自己成为他人,在他方。

And we all do this a little differently,

我们的想象都有些不同,

which is why we can all look up at the same night sky and see this and also this and also this.

于是当我们抬头看同一个夜空,我们看到这个,这个和这个。

And yeah, it is also why we get things wrong.

这也是我们搞错事情的原因。

1,200 years before Descartes said his famous thing about "I think therefore I am," this guy, St. Augustine,

在笛卡儿说出那句有名的“我思故我在”的一千两百年前,圣奥古斯丁,

sat down and wrote "Fallor ergo sum" -- "I err therefore I am."

坐下来写下“Fallor ergo sum”--“我错故我在”。

Augustine understood that our capacity to screw up,

奥古斯丁懂得我们犯错的能力,

it's not some kind of embarrassing defect in the human system, something we can eradicate or overcome.

这并不是人性中一个令人难堪的缺陷,不是我们可以克服或消灭的。

It's totally fundamental to who we are.

这是我们的本质。

Because, unlike God, we don't really know what's going on out there.

因为我们不是上帝,我们不知道我们之外究竟发生了什么。

And unlike all of the other animals, we are obsessed with trying to figure it out.

而不同于其它动物的是,我们都疯狂地想找出解答。

To me, this obsession is the source and root of all of our productivity and creativity.

对我来说,这种寻找的冲动就是我们生产力和创造力的来源。

Last year, for various reasons, I found myself listening to a lot of episodes of the Public Radio show This American Life.

因为一些缘故,去年我在广播上听了很多集的“我们的美国人生”。

And so I'm listening and I'm listening, and at some point, I start feeling like all the stories are about being wrong.

我听着听着,突然发现这些故事全和犯错有关。

And my first thought was, "I've lost it. I've become the crazy wrongness lady. I just imagined it everywhere," which has happened.

我的第一个念头是,“我完了,我写书写疯了,四处都看到有关犯错的幻觉”,说真的是这样。

But a couple of months later, I actually had a chance to interview Ira Glass, who's the host of the show.

但几个月后,我访问了那个广播节目的主持人Ira Glass。

And I mentioned this to him, and he was like, "No actually, that's true. In fact," he says,

我向他提到这件事,他回答我:“事实上,你是对的”,他说。

"as a staff, we joke that every single episode of our show has the same crypto-theme.

“我们这些工作人员总是开玩笑说每集节目之中的秘密主题都是一样的。

And the crypto-theme is: 'I thought this one thing was going to happen and something else happened instead.'

这个秘密主题就是:“我以为这件事会这样发生,结果其它事情发生了”。

And the thing is," says Ira Glass, "we need this.

他说,“但是,这就是我们需要的。”

We need these moments of surprise and reversal and wrongness to make these stories work."

我们需要这些意外,这些颠倒和错误,这些故事才能成立。”

And for the rest of us, audience members, as listeners, as readers, we eat this stuff up.

而我们身为观众、听众、读者,我们吸收这些故事。

We love things like plot twists and red herrings and surprise endings.

我们喜欢故事转折、令人惊讶的结局。

When it comes to our stories, we love being wrong.

我们喜欢在故事里看到犯错。

But, you know, our stories are like this because our lives are like this.

但,故事会这样写是因为人生就是这样。

We think this one thing is going to happen and something else happens instead.

我们以为某些事情会这样发生,发生的却是其它事。

George Bush thought he was going to invade Iraq, find a bunch of weapons of mass destruction,

乔治·布什以为他入侵伊拉克会找到大规模毁灭性武器,

liberate the people and bring democracy to the Middle East.

解放中东百姓,为他们带来民主自由。

And something else happened instead.

但却不是这样。

And Hosni Mubarak thought he was going to be the dictator of Egypt for the rest of his life,

胡斯尼·穆巴拉克以为他到死都会是埃及的独裁者,

until he got too old or too sick and could pass the reigns of power onto his son.

一直到他年老或卧病,再把他的权力交给下一代。

And something else happened instead.

但却不是这样。

And maybe you thought you were going to grow up and marry your high school sweetheart

或许你想过你会长大、嫁给你的初恋情人,

and move back to your hometown and raise a bunch of kids together.

搬回老家,生一群孩子。

And something else happened instead.

但却不是这样。

And I have to tell you that I thought I was writing an incredibly nerdy book

我必须说,我以为我写的是一本很冷僻的书,

about a subject everybody hates for an audience that would never materialize.

有关一个人人讨厌的主题,为一些从不存在的读者。

And something else happened instead.

但却不是这样。

I mean, this is life. For good and for ill,

这就是我们的人生。无论好坏,

we generate these incredible stories about the world around us, and then the world turns around and astonishes us.

我们创造了那包围我们的世界,而世界转过头来,令我们大吃一惊。

No offense, but this entire conference is an unbelievable monument to our capacity to get stuff wrong.

说真的,这整个会议充斥着这样难以置信的时刻,我们一次又一次地意识到自己的错误。

We just spent an entire week talking about innovations and advancements and improvements,

我们花了整整一周讨论创新、进步和改善,

but you know why we need all of those innovations and advancements and improvements?

你知道我们为甚么需要这些创新进步和改善吗?

Because half the stuff that's the most mind-boggling and world-altering -- TED 1998 -- eh.

因为其中有一半来自最应该改变世界的98年的TED,呃。

Didn't really work out that way, did it?

真是出人意料之外啊,不是吗?

Where's my jet pack, Chris?

我的逃生火箭在哪,Chris?

So here we are again. And that's how it goes. We come up with another idea.

于是我们又在这里。事情就是这样。我们重新想出其它点子。

We tell another story. We hold another conference.

我们有了新的故事。我们开了另一个会议。

The theme of this one, as you guys have now heard seven million times, is the rediscovery of wonder.

这次的主题是,如果你还没有听到耳朵出油的话,是重新找到想象的力量。

And to me, if you really want to rediscover wonder,

对我来说,如果你真的想重新找到想象的力量,

you need to step outside of that tiny, terrified space of rightness and look around at each other

你需要离开那个小小的、自我感觉良好的小圈圈,看看彼此,

and look out at the vastness and complexity and mystery of the universe and be able to say,

看看宇宙的广大无垠、复杂神秘,然后真正地说,

"Wow, I don't know. Maybe I'm wrong." Thank you.

“哇,我不知道。或许我错了。”谢谢各位。





查找、收集、整理不易

支持墨墨请点这里

↓↓↓

#留下你的名字,让我知道你是谁#


▼往期推荐▼


TED | 别对我撒谎

TED | 微笑背后隐藏的力量

TED | 拥有大脑的真正原因

TED | 用舞蹈战胜癌症

TED | 大人能从小孩身上学到什么

TED | 请求的艺术

TED | 谈呵护创造力及减轻创作压力

TED | 吉尔伯特·泰勒的奇迹

TED | 幻觉背后的心智

TED | 拥抱他人,拥抱自己

TED | 伟大预言:这是我们最后的世纪吗?

TED | 为什么MOOC仍然重要

TED | 超低成本的大学学位

TED | 什么是魅力?


你好

我是@墨安

在北方努力生活的南方姑娘

很高兴在这里认识你

希望今后的日子,有你陪伴。


本文仅供分享,一切版权归TED所有。


“点赞”的你更赞↓↓↓

您可能也对以下帖子感兴趣

文章有问题?点此查看未经处理的缓存