【词链儿】Gloria的抱怨
《摩登家庭》里面有这样一段:
https://v.qq.com/txp/iframe/player.html?vid=e0552m5j6ff&width=500&height=375&auto=0
I shoot myself in the foot.
You put your foot in your mouth.
You put the shoe on the wrong foot.
(英语不是Gloria的母语,所以有点不太准确)
shoot oneself in the foot
搬起石头砸自己的脚
The senator shot himself in the foot when he called his opponent names.
那个参议员辱骂对手,简直是搬起石头砸自己的脚。
put one's foot in one's mouth(美)
put one’s foot in it(英)
说错话
When I told Ann that her hair was more beautiful than I had ever seen it, I really put my foot in my
mouth. It was a wig.
我说错话了,我跟Ann说她的头发比以前的每次见她都好看。结果那是一顶假发。
I put my foot in it by telling John's secret. He found out.
我说错话了,把John的秘密说出去了。被他发现了。
put the shoe on the wrong foot
错怪, 错赏, 误解
It was John who stole the bowl. I put the shoe on the wrong foot by letting Tom pay for it.
是John偷了那个碗。我错怪了Tom,让他赔的钱。
下面我们再拓展一些有趣的关于foot的表达:
find one’s feet
适应新环境
I joined this company recently, and I’m still trying to find my feet.
我刚加入这加公司,还在努力适应新环境。
have/get cold feet
临阵胆怯;畏缩
Soldier shouldn’t get cold feet in the battle.
军人不能在战场上临阵退缩。
my foot
得了吧!
- I’ll be ready very soon.
我马上就好了。
- soon? My foot! You’re still in bed!
马上?得了吧!你还在被窝呢!
not let grass grow under your feet
做事不拖延,不磨洋工
Now that you know what to do, just do it . Don't let the grass grow under your feet.
既然你知道要做什么,那么就行动吧。别再拖拖拉拉了。
wait on sb hand and foot
过分照顾,让……饭来张口衣来伸手
Many children expect to be waited on hand and foot because they've been spoiled rotten by their parents.
许多孩子总是指望能衣来伸手饭来张口,就是因为被父母惯坏了。
have/get itchy feet
渴望旅行或者换个地方、做别的事
Hearing about Sally's new job had given me itchy feet
and within a couple of months I left the company.
听说了Sally的新工作后,我心痒痒的,没过几个月我也离开了公司。
关于foot的这些词链儿,
你记住了吗?
2018,加入我们吧!
推荐阅读