TED演讲:如何守护儿时的梦想?
拥有一份自己热爱的事业才能获得有意义的人生,但是这份激情应该源自哪里呢?心理学家说,人终其一生都走不出自己的童年,每个人儿时都有自己的好奇心与梦想,那份赤子之心也许正是隐藏在我们心中的小宇宙。
演讲者:Kristen Hadeed时长:14:56
https://v.qq.com/txp/iframe/player.html?width=500&height=375&auto=0&vid=r3019onicff
TED演讲稿This is a list I made when I was 10.
这是我10岁时为自己列的人生清单。
"How to Retire Before you're 20".
「如何在20岁前退休」
Babysitting, yard sale, walk dogs,
当保姆、车库和草坪拍卖、帮忙遛狗,
and you'll see I get to number 12, "buy stocks," and I stop.
写到第十二项 「买卖股票」时我就停了
I figured, "That's it! I don't need to do anything else!".
我认为:「就这些!不必做其他的事了!」
Must have thought the stock market was a sure thing ...
当时的我认为,买卖股票 是立于不败之地的。
And we can't ignore my starred note on the bottom left:
大家一定已注意到 在左下角打星号的附注
"In every transaction, I have to have a calculator."
「在每一笔交易中, 都需用计算器。」
(Laughter)
(笑声)
As you can see, I wasn't the typical 10 year old.
如你所见,我不像一般的十岁小孩。
Most girls my age played with Barbies --
许多同岁数的女孩玩芭比娃娃....
and yeah, I did that, too --
好啦!我也玩过芭比娃娃.....
but when given the choice,
但如果我能选的话,
I wanted to learn about the way things worked,
我宁可 学习如何做事,
about the people around me,
通过观察身边的人。
and I was particularly interested in making money.
而我对于如何赚钱特别感兴趣。
I drew this when I was 5: "Kristen is a waitress."
这是我五岁时画的:「女服务生克丽丝汀」
Well, it didn't take me long to realize I could just skip this step altogether
我很快就了解到, 可以直接跳过这个阶段,
and start a restaurant, "Steak and Shake."
直接开一家餐厅, 取名「牛排与奶昔」,
Where we didn't have steak or milkshakes,
不卖牛排或奶昔,
we did have pork chops, all-you-can-eat chicken and ribs,
而卖猪排, 吃到饱的鸡肉和肋排,
and our most popular dish: carrots and dip.
和招牌菜:红萝卜佐以沾酱。
(Laughter)
(笑声)
When I was in first grade, I was fascinated with Elmer's Glue.
当我小一的时候,我迷上白胶。
I found that if I put a tiny drop in my desk at school,
我发现只要滴一小滴在书桌上,
when I came back in the morning,
隔天早上回学校时,
I could peel it off and stick it on my nail.
就可以把它撕下来,黏在指甲上。
What do you know? Fake nails.
你们猜它是什么?是假指甲。
I sold fake nails from my desk every morning.
每天早上,我从桌上撕下假指甲来卖。
And I remember it like it was yesterday:
我仍清楚记得,犹如昨天才刚发生,
walked into my classroom, early like usual,
我跟平常一样早到学校,
only to find that my teacher had completely rearranged all the seats.
某天早上我走进教室, 却发现老师已重排座位。
I watched my classmate walk right into my fortune.
我眼睁睁地看着同学出清我的假指甲,
She sold everything that day.
不费吹灰之力, 赚走原本应属于我的钱。
But don't feel bad for me,
你们不用替我难过,
because after school, I went and bought glitter glue,
因为,放学后我跑去买金屑胶,
which happened to be much more popular than the plain white kind,
这种闪亮金色款式 比纯白的更受欢迎,
and it put her right out of business.
彻底瓦解了她的生意。
(Laughter)
(笑声)
When I was six, I always wanted to be a babysitter --
当我六岁时,我一心想要成为保姆。
"Babysitter's Club."
「保姆社」 (也是很受欢迎的童书系列)
I don't know what about this flyer doesn't say:
这些传单全部都写清楚了:
"Hi! You can trust me. I have a lot of experience,
「嗨!你可以信任我,我经验丰富,
and I am definitely qualified to watch your child!"
绝对有资格看顾你的小孩。」
(Laughter)
(笑声)
Or how about "The Girls' Club"?
或者「女孩俱乐部」?
Not only did you have to pay to be in it,
想加入,不仅要缴交入会费,
but you also had to follow my 13 rules.
还要遵守我的十三守则。
Yeah, I started out OK:
一开始的条文蛮合理的,
keep your hands to yourself, don't say bad things to other people.
别动手动脚, 不准说别人的坏话,
I got a little bit bossier:
接着,我显现出领袖欲:
be obedient, raise your hand if you need to say something.
乖乖听领导的话,说话前先举手。
And then, I become a dictator.
然后,我成为了一个独裁者。
When you sign something with "Thanks, Your Leader, Kristen" ...
我的签名是:「谢啦, 你们的领袖 克里斯廷上」
(Laughter)
(笑声)
the only person that's going to join your club is your little sister,
所以啦,唯一加入的会员是我的妹妹,
and it's because she doesn't know how to read yet.
因为她当时还不识字。
(Laughter)
(笑声)
I got bored the summer before third grade, so I started a lemonade stand.
升三年级前的暑假我闲得发慌, 所以开始卖柠檬水。
I made this sales web -- you know --
我成立一个销售组织...你们都知道...
because lemonade is such a complicated business.
卖柠檬水可不简单。
And my favorite part is:
我最喜欢的是:
"Have your customers pick the price, you'll get more money."
「任由顾客订价, 能赚更多的钱。」
Smart cookie!
很聪明,对吧!
I realized early on that people buy "cute."
我很早就了解到, 大家喜欢买「萌」。
So, I set my prices low, but told my customers
所以我设定很低的价格, 但告诉顾客,
if they wanted to pay a little extra that was certainly OK.
他们可以随喜多付一些。
And they did.
而他们确实多付了。
People paid five dollars for a four-ounce drop of lemonade.
有人花美金五元买一杯 四盎司的柠檬水。
"You pick the price" worked like a charm.
「你自己选择付多少钱」的战术 完全成功。
But lemonade got boring, and I wanted to go into retail.
但卖柠檬水很快就变得索然无味, 我想要进入零售业。
So, I picked my little sister, Lauren, to be my victim,
所以我妹罗兰成了受害者, 我的意思是:我的伙伴,
really, my partner, but ... poor Lauren.
可怜的罗兰。
We called it "LK Variety Store," L for her name, K for mine.
我们的店名叫「LK杂货店」 L代表她,K是代表我。
My dad built us a wooden stand, we painted it,
父亲为我们钉了一个 木制摊位,由我们粉刷。
and we sold various household items on our street corner every weekend.
每个周末我们会在街角 卖各种家居用品。
Actually, Lauren sold various household items, in the heat,
事实上,罗兰在大太阳下卖,
while I sat in the A/C and collected the money.
而我在冷气房里负责收钱。
This got old after a while, so she resigned.
没多久,罗兰不干了。
You'll see my friend Ashley in this picture.
照片里是我的朋友艾诗丽。
Little did she know that when I invited her over to "play store," I was being serious.
当我邀请她来「玩」做生意时, 她不知道我「当真」要做生意。
I also forgot to mention
我差点忘了说,
that these household items belonged to my parents,
这些家居用品都是我爸妈的,
who didn't know that we were selling them.
他们并不知道我们在卖这些东西。
(Laughter)
(笑声)
So, when my Mom eventually caught on,
母亲终究发现了,
let's just say she was very quick to shut us down.
她马上勒令我们停业。
As you can see,
如你所见,
I had an insatiable curiosity as a kid.
儿时的我 有极高的好奇心。
And as I got older,
当我长大些,
the projects continued, but they became more meaningful.
我持续的各种计划 变得更有意义。
When I was 15, a teacher of mine,
十五岁时,
who taught me for six consecutive years in the field of science,
连续教我六年 自然学科的老师,
was diagnosed with breast cancer.
被诊断出罹患乳癌。
She had to get a double mastectomy,
她必须做双乳切除手术,
but even with that, the outcome did not look very good.
但手术预后并不乐观。
Myself, along with 5 other friends, who were also her students,
我和其他五位要好的同学,
gathered together to start Project Pink.
聚在一起筹划发起「粉红行动」。
We decided to remain anonymous, but we worked behind the scenes
我们决定以匿名的方式暗中进行,
to get our entire school to wear pink on Tuesdays --
让学校所有人在星期二 穿上粉红色的衣服,
the day that she went in for chemotherapy treatments after class.
就是她课后将要进行化疗的那天。
It was pretty incredible,
真的很不可思议,
but our pink initiative spread throughout the community.
我们的粉红行动 在小区各处散布开来。
You'd go to the grocery store on a Tuesday and you'd see people wearing pink.
如果你在星期二去杂货店, 你会看到穿粉红色的人。
We were only kids,
我们当时只是孩子,
but we thought that if we could show her that the entire community supported her,
但我们觉得,如果可以让她感受到 整个小区对她的支持,
maybe it would keep her strong.
也许她会更坚强。
Months passed by, and we learned that she'd beat her cancer.
几个月过去后, 我们得知 她战胜了癌症。
So, we decided it was time to show her that we were the ones behind Project Pink.
所以我们决定让她知道 我们是粉红行动的主导者。
We got our school band to come into her classroom,
我们和学校乐队一同进到她的教室,
where we revealed our identity,
在那里,我们公布了我们的身分,
and presented her with a quilt we made of all our memories throughout the years.
并献给她一张织锦着我们这些年 共同回忆的棉毯。
The band trickled from her classroom into the courtyard,
乐声由她的教室飘到中庭,
and the entire school watched as she told us that we saved her life.
全校看着老师感动地说:是我们挽救了她的生命。
It was absolutely amazing.
这是一个很奇妙的经验。
This was the first time in my life, where I felt a powerful --
这是此生第一次,我被
and I mean powerful -- emotion overcome me.
巨大的情感力量所淹没。
At 15, I didn't know what it was or where it came from,
当时十五岁的我, 并不明了这是什么力量。
but man, was it incredible.
太神奇了!
And I made a promise to myself
我立誓,
that I would only work on things in my life that gave me this feeling.
今生我将只做使我 感受到这种神奇力量的事。
And now, when I look back, I realize it was passion.
现在回顾起来,我知道那就是热忱。
When I came to college at the University of Florida,
当我进入佛罗里达大学时,
I wanted a pair of very expensive blue jeans.
我很想要一条昂贵的牛仔裤。
I asked my parents to buy them for me; they said, "No way, get a job,"
我的父母亲不肯买给我, 叫我去找个工作赚钱自己买。
and instead of applying for one,
我没有这么做,
I put an ad on Craigslist to clean houses for pocket money.
而是上 Craiglist 网站, 刊登替人打扫房子的广告。
I never minded cleaning as a kid because I thought I was getting paid well for it.
我从小就不介意清扫房子, 以为那钱好赚。
But now when I look back, my parents ran a sweat shop!
今天回顾,才知道 父母开的根本是血汗工厂。
I worked on this day for four hours for $10!
我清扫4小时才赚10块钱!
(Laughter)
(笑声)
Anyway -- Mom and Dad -- I know --
爸妈,我知道了。
I cleaned houses by myself for a while,
一开始我一人扫,
and then I decided to turn it into a real business;
然后我开了公司,
hired some friends, and things slowly grew.
雇用一些朋友, 事业越来越大。
When it came time for college graduation, I was offered a job in finance,
毕业时,
in a company with a very well-known, popular brand.
有家知名公司 给我一个财经专业的职位。
It was a dream job during a time in 2010 when they didn't exist.
在2010年,那是个梦幻工作。
And I immediately turned it down.
我毫不犹豫地回绝了。
Because there was one thing missing:
因为我对那工作欠缺热忱。
That feeling that I promised myself I would always follow. I didn't have it when I thought about finance.
在财经工作中,找不到自我期许, 必须具备的工作热忱。
You see, I was passionate about my house-cleaning business -- as silly as that may sound -- and trust me,
似乎很可笑,但我对于 清扫房子有很大的热诚。
many people didn't understand why I turned down a dream job to stick with it.
许多人认为我不该放弃 梦幻财经工作,而继续打扫房子。
But it just felt right.
但我直觉我做得对。
Fast forward to today, two years after my college graduation.
毕业后两年的今日,
I own a company called Student Maid.
我创立的公司Student Maid
We're the largest cleaning and concierge service in Gainesville.
成为美国佛州大城 最大的清洁和礼宾服务公司。
We employed 300 students last year.
去年雇用300名学生员工。
And I know what you're thinking:
你可能想着:
"Her parents must have owned several businesses for her to turn out this way."
她的父母必有多家企业,她才能如此。
Not true.
其实不然。
My dad is a lawyer,
家父是律师,
and my mom ran a preschool before she left her job to become a stay-at-home mom.
家母在成为全职母亲之前, 任教于幼儿园。
I just lived in a home where my curiosity was nurtured.
我的家庭孕育了我的好奇心。
I remember, when I was this big,
犹记得我这么丁点大的时候,
that when my parents would get a new appliance,
父母亲购入新家电,
my dad would take the big cardboard box it came in, and he would stick it right on our living room floor.
家父会把大纸箱放在客厅的地板上,
He would leave it up for weeks at a time, my sister and I would play with it ...
一放就放数星期,让我和妹妹玩。
Yeah, it's just a box,
它只是一个纸箱没错,
but when you're 4, it's a castle, and you can be the princess.
但对4岁小孩来说,它就是城堡, 能让人化身为公主。
It teaches you to use your imagination.
这能触发想象力。
And they encouraged us to play pretend.
父母鼓励我们尽情玩假扮的游戏。
You'll see here myself, my sister and our friend playing dentist with my dad.
我、妹妹、和朋友 假扮牙医替父亲看牙齿。
He wasn't flossing.
他没用牙线。
(Laughter)
(笑声)
And when it came to homework, forget about it, they never gave me the answers.
父母从未帮我、教我功课。
But it gave me the confidence to solve any problem on my own, no matter how big or small.
他们教我自信, 自己解决大小问题。
They weren't afraid to see me fail,
他们不怕我失败,
like when I wanted to run for fourth-grade president,
像我四年级时竞选主席那次,
there was a lot of competition, a very big chance I might lose,
竞争激烈,我非常可能输掉,
but they encouraged me to run.
但他们还是鼓励我参选,
And that's because in failure lies some of the most important lessons of all.
因为从失败中能学到很多,
Like, how to get back up and try again.
例如跌倒后怎样再站起来。
So, when I did lose in fourth grade, I wasn't afraid to try again in fifth.
仅管四年级时选输了, 我不怕五年级时再选一次,
And I won.
结果我赢了。
But most importantly, my parents walked their talk.
最重要的:我的父母亲身教言教如一。
There wasn't one thing they told my sister and I to do
每一样对我和妹妹的教导,
that they didn't do themselves.
他们都身体力行。
They said to always follow our curiosity and passion.
他们教导我们要 常保好奇心和热忱。
I watched my dad turn down cases because they didn't interest him.
家父婉拒他不感兴趣的法律案件。
And I watched my mom leave her job when she wasn't passionate about it anymore.
家母在失去工作热忱时, 毅然离开职场。
There is no doubt in my mind
我未曾怀疑过,
that the only reason I am standing where I am today
今天我能站在这讲台上,
is because I lived in a home where creativity and curiosity
是因为我家重视创新 和好奇心的价值,
were valued more than anything else.
远胜于其他。
So why is it, then, that curiosity has such a bad rep?
那为什么好奇心背负着恶名呢?
We all know the story of Pandora's Box, right?
我们都听过「潘多拉的盒子」。
It's given to this chick named Pandora, it contained all the evils in the world --
当这个装满一切邪恶的盒子 被交到潘多拉的手中时,
"Don't open it!" -- she did.
她被告诫:「千万不能打开。」 她还是开了。
I don't blame her though,
我并不怪她,
because I wouldn't want it in my house either, would you?
我才不要它呢。你要吗?
Or how about "curiosity killed the cat"? Awful quote.
另一糟糕的常用语:「好奇心害死猫。」
No wonder why we're trained to think that curiosity is a bad thing.
难怪我们被训练成 认为好奇心是很糟糕的。
People have mistakenly, for generations, only used a part of the quote.
多年来人们被半句话误导了。
The full quote actually is:
全文是:
"Curiosity killed the cat, and satisfaction brought it back."
「好奇心害死猫, 满足好奇心,牠就复活了。」
So, curiosity isn't a bad thing, it actually brings us to life.
所以,好奇心是不是一件坏事, 事实上它活化了我们的生活。
And I'm not the only one that's jumping on this curiosity bandwagon.
赶上好奇心列车的不仅仅是我而已。
NASA recently launched a $2.5-billion rover to Mars,
可知美国太空总署25亿美元的 火星宇宙飞船,叫什么名字?
and what do you think they named it? Curiosity.
好奇者号。
Or how about "Curious George," the famous cartoon?
还有「好奇的乔治」那只 卡通和童书里的猴子,
"Curious George" also goes by "Very Rich George," right?
「好奇的乔治」也可以称为 「超有钱的乔治」,对吧?
(Laughter)
(笑声)
And look at Columbus and Magellan --
至于哥伦布和麦哲伦航海的理由,
sure, they were motivated by a more efficient trade route, blah, blah, blah --
他们追寻高效率的贸易途径, 高调的老生常谈,
I'm sure it was curiosity that was really, really, behind their voyage.
我确信背后真正的原因, 是他们的好奇心。
I challenge you to ask yourself, are you curious?
问问你自己:你好奇吗?
Do you allow yourself to pursue the things that make you excited?
你可会追寻让你兴奋的东西?
Do you allow yourself to dream?
你可会梦想?
And I mean really, really dream?
我说的是真正的梦想。
Or are you convinced that this is the best it's going to get?
或者你以为,就这样,没办法更好了。
You're going to stay in a job that you're unhappy in
你留在眼前并不喜欢的工作上,
because it's too late in your life to make a change,
因为太迟了,没办法换了,
or because you're afraid of what others might think.
或者你在乎别人怎么想。
You don't find yourself dreaming anymore,
你不再有梦想,
and you don't really know what your true passion is,
不知真正的热忱在哪里,
and you don't care to find it.
也不再去追寻了。
If you don't find yourself curious anymore,
若你已不再好奇,
it's time to give your inner child a wake-up call.
就是应该唤醒你的 赤子之心的时候了。
And here's why:
因为,
I believe that the more curious you are, the more creative you will be.
我相信,越有好奇心,
With greater curiosity come new experiences.
就越有创造力。
Creative people don't invent something new,
好奇心带来新的体验、经验。
they just take what they've learned from two unrelated experiences,
好奇的人并非创新发明,
and they put them together.
而是把看似不相关的两事物,
The more curiosity you have,
连结在一起。
the greater chance you have at connecting the unusual dots.
你越是好奇,
That means the greater chance you have at creating an idea
就越能够做出不寻常的连结。
that could completely change the world.
换言之,你就更有机会产生
We were most human when we were kids.
改变世界的创新想法。
We worked on our art for hours without taking breaks
当我们年幼时,常可以 连续数小时创作不停歇,
because there was nothing getting in the way of our creative spirit.
因为没有什么可以阻碍 我们创作的文思泉涌。
And the fact is, that same spirit is still there, it hasn't gone anywhere,
事实上,这些创作文思仍在, 没有不见,
you just might forget what it feels like.
只是我们早已忘了它的感觉。
And whether you're 23 or you're 83,
不管你是23岁或是83岁,
it's never, ever, ever, too late to wake it up.
唤醒它都绝对不晚。
I challenge you to stop worrying about the past and the future,
别担心过往,也不忧虑未来。
the two things that you absolutely can't change.
因为你无法改变过去或未来,
And just focus on this very moment.
只要着眼于当下就好。
Expose yourself to different people, places and things,
接触不一样的人、物、地,
and the easier it will become.
渐渐就会容易了。
Read more, ask more questions, be open to new experiences.
多读、多问、尝试新体验。
But most importantly, follow your inner child.
最重要的:遵循你的赤子之心。
It's okay if you don't know what you're doing or where you're going.
即使你不知道往哪走、做什么,
You just have to trust that feeling, because it knows where you're headed.
信任你的感觉就对了, 因它会知道该往哪走。
And you'll start to see the pieces come together,
你会见到越来越成型、越具体。
but for now, you can just trust that there's always a bigger picture.
目前就先相信,全貌是存在的。
I can see the pieces clearly for myself.
我自己就能清楚看见过去的路。
Looking back,
回顾过去,
I now realize I was destined to own a business,
我清楚看到, 我注定要建立自己的事业,
and I can see a piece of each childhood enterprise
每一件儿时做的事,都成为
incorporated into my company today.
我现在公司事业的一小部分。
More importantly, I learned from Project Pink
更重要的,我从「粉红行动」中学到,
that my true passion is doing something good for other people,
我真正的热忱是助人,
which is why we clean free for cancer patients,
这就是为什么, 我们免费为癌症病人打扫。
and why our employees have donated 4,000 hours of community service
敝公司的员工在过去两年中小区, 奉献了4000小时的义务服务。
in the past 2 years.
一个有意义的人生,
A meaningful life is never about the end result,
结果怎样不是重点,
it's always about the journey.
过程才是。
If you can honestly surrender yourself to your inner child -- and I mean really surrender to it --
如果你真正、真诚, 遵循你的赤子之心,
it will take you places beyond your wildest dreams. And that's my promise.
我保证,你将会到达 你想都没想到的境地。
And then, before you least expect it, you will find your passion,
然后,在不期之间, 你会找到你的热忱,
and you will be doing things that you never thought were possible.
你将会有力量去做 想都不曾想过的事。
I want to close with the same list, "How to Retire Before You're 20,"
我仍以这张「如何在20岁以前退休」 的清单总结。
and I want you to look at number six, "house cleaning."
请看第6项「打扫屋子」。
When I wrote this at 10 years old,
当我10岁写下这清单时, 万万没想到,
I had no idea I would be standing here, on this stage, 13 years later,
13年后,我会站在讲堂上,
saying that I own a cleaning service.
拥有一家清洁公司。
And it's pretty incredible,
真是神奇。
but I think that my inner child has always known what's in store for me,
我想我的赤子之心早就知道 我的生命将会怎样展开。
and I think yours does, too.
你的必然也是。
Thank you. (Applause)
谢谢。(掌声)
THE END
322篇Ted英文演讲视频集合,收藏~《纽约时报》年度十大好书,2019最值得看的英文书单!
54部经典经典英文名著合集,收藏贴~
47篇经典BBC纪录片合集,收藏学习吧!
20部学英语必看的电影,每一部都是经典290篇双语阅读美文大合集,mark~