前外交部副部长傅莹:一旦中美闹翻,有没有国家会站在中国一边

终于找到了高清版《人间中毒》,各种姿势的图,都能看

去泰国看了一场“成人秀”,画面尴尬到让人窒息.....

一年前丁丁在上海

【少儿禁】马建《亮出你的舌苔或空空荡荡》

生成图片,分享到微信朋友圈

自由微信安卓APP发布,立即下载! | 提交文章网址
查看原文

【VOA常速】威士忌的复兴

15137 TED英语演讲课 2022-10-17

I've always had an entrepreneurial itch.
我一直都有一种创业的渴望。

I work in consulting, specifically working on data science.
我在咨询行业工作,确切地说,是在数据科学方面。

Making whiskey was a fun side project that we started during COVID as something to keep us busy.
酿造威士忌是我们在疫情期间开始的一个有趣的副业,作为让我们忙碌的事情。

There are a lot of smaller craft distillers that are out there and really changing, changing the world of whiskey.
很多规模较小的手工蒸馏器确实在改变着威士忌的世界。

I am a government contracts attorney.
我是一名政府合同律师。

I got into whiskey many years ago and I started to learn as much as I could about it.
我很多年前就开始喝威士忌了,我开始尽可能多地学习威士忌。

We have no background in doing this.
我们没有这方面的背景。

We had no idea what we were doing but …and we are learning on the way and it's a great ride so far.
我们不知道我们在做什么,除了…我们一直在摸索,到目前为止,这是一次很棒的旅程。

We're reviving an old, 110-year-old brand for a few reasons.
我们正在重振一个有110年历史的老品牌,原因有以下几个。

One is, we have a passion for history.
其一,我们对历史充满热情。

And there's some really, really interesting stories out there through the Mt. Pleasant Club Whiskey brand.
关于芒特普莱森威士忌品牌,有一些非常非常有趣的故事。

And we want to bring those out in the products we bring to market.
我们希望在我们推向市场的产品中推出这些产品。

Mount Pleasant was originally a village established after the Civil War.
芒特普莱森最初是南北战争后建立的一个村庄。

Streetcar came up Mount Pleasant Street here, and the end of the line was at Park Road.
有轨电车开上了芒特普莱森街,终点是公园路。

And at that point, this land became valuable to develop.
这片土地变得有开发价值。

It hadn't been developed yet.
当时它还没有被开发出来。

Then businesses started locating along Mount Pleasant Street, and one of the first was this one-story building.
然后,商家开始沿着芒特普莱森街选址,第一批商铺之一就是这座单层建筑。

It's now a laundromat.
现在它是一家自助洗衣店。

And then some of these other businesses appeared in this block.
然后,一些其他的企业出现在这个街区。

Today, it's a bus turnaround but the streetcar stopped down where the bus stops and there was a platform and people got on and off.
今天已经有公交车、有轨电车,有车站,人们在那里上下车。

Row Houses mostly started being built along here and all of these blocks West of Mount Pleasant Street.
排屋大多是沿着这里和芒特普莱森街以西的所有街区开始建造的。

Still a beautiful neighborhood.
仍然是一个美丽的社区。

Mount Pleasant was originally a New England village and it was dry.
芒特普莱森最初是新英格兰的一个村庄,那里很干燥。

So, that was one of the virtues of it.
这是它的优点之一。

Temperance movement was a huge thing in the 19th century and into the 20th century.
戒酒运动在19世纪和20世纪都是一件大事。

There were no liquor establishments in Mount Pleasant.
芒特普莱森特市没有酿酒企业。

Prohibition hit in D.C. earlier than nationally.
华盛顿率先实行了戒酒令,比全国其他地方要早。

It started November 1st, 1917.
它始于1917年11月1日。

A big premise of the temperance movement was that it was bad for families.
戒酒运动的一个重要前提是,喝酒对家庭不利。

So, it was bad for women and children because the husband would take his whole paycheck and drink it up in the saloons.
这对妇女和儿童都不好,因为丈夫会拿走他所有的薪水,然后在酒吧里花光。

Then they'd be impoverished and then he'd, on top of it, you know, be abusive.
然后他们会变得一贫如洗,然后就会产生虐待什么的。

This Mt. Pleasant Brand Whiskey came about, when somebody in Mount Pleasant found an old whiskey bottle in their house when they were renovating.
芒特普莱森特酒后来出现了,当时芒特普莱森特的一个人在装修房子的时候在他们的房子里发现了一个旧的威士忌酒瓶。

It was practice, workmen drinking on the job.
工人们在工作时喝酒,这是惯例。

Some people say that it's to celebrate finishing the house, to put a bottle in.
有人说,这是为了庆祝房子完工,把一瓶酒放进去。

I'm not sure about that.
这一点我不太确定。

But I know, lots of people who have renovated their houses and pulled out walls and found bottles in there, among other things.
但我知道,许多人翻新了他们的房子,推倒了墙壁,发现了瓶子,还有其他东西。

This all got started when my wife and I bought the house that we currently live in.
这一切都是从我和妻子买下我们现在住的房子开始的。

The lady that lived there, back in the 1980s, they did a renovation.
上世纪80年代那里住一位女士,他们做了一次翻修。

During that renovation, they found a bottle from 1911.
在那次翻修中,他们发现了一个1911年的瓶子。

And it just sat in her living room, dining room, for the next 30 years.
在接下来的30年里,它就一直放在她的起居室和餐厅里。

I was fascinated, I thought it was such a cool bottle and just.
我被迷住了,我认为这是一个很酷的瓶子。

I mean, I almost immediately started to like look up because it had William Barry, 2024 14th street.
我的意思是,我几乎立即开始喜欢抬头看,因为它的名字是威廉·巴里,在第14街2024号。

It was intriguing to me just by digging up what I could on Mr. Barry.
仅仅是通过挖掘我能找到的关于巴里先生的信息,对我来说就很有趣。

And I was able to find a little bit about him.
我找到了一点关于他的信息。

During COVID, we found ourselves hanging out with nothing to do, trying to get outside.
在疫情期间,我们闲逛时,无所事事,试图出去走走。

While hanging out, we had this idea and said we were going to bring this old brand back.
在闲逛的时候,我们有了一个想法,说我们要把这个老品牌复兴。

We weren't going to go sell our houses and try to buy a distillery.
我们不会卖掉我们的房子,而是试图买下一家酿酒厂。

So, I had a friend who owned this distillery in Virginia and she was willing to help us.
我有一个朋友,她在弗吉尼亚州拥有一家酿酒厂,她愿意帮助我们。

It's such a cool thing that we should try to revive it and that's really how it started.
这是一件很酷的事情,我们应该试着让它复兴,这就是它真正开始的方式。

文章有问题?点此查看未经处理的缓存