查看原文
其他

【TED演讲】如何应对拒绝?

202330 TED英语演讲课 2023-03-04

TED英语演讲课

给心灵放个假吧


     

演讲题目How to deal with rejection


演讲简介

被人拒绝让人心痛。感觉不受人欢迎让人痛不欲生,确实是“痛”不欲生。研究者发现我们会把遭到拒绝与受到“伤害”联系在一起,会使用一些词语如“崩溃”、“心痛”。那么为什么遭到拒绝会引发如此强烈的反应,有没有什么办法可以应对这种独特的疼痛呢?



中英文字幕


Rejection hurts.
被拒绝让人痛苦。

It's incredibly painful to feel like you're not wanted— and we do mean painful.
感觉到不受人欢迎会让人痛彻心扉,没错,“痛”彻心扉。

FMRI studies have found that rejection elicits brain activity in multiple neural regions that process physical pain.
FMRI(功能性磁共振成像)研究表明遭到拒绝会引发多个神经区域的大脑活动,这些区域负责处理物理疼痛。

And the language we use to describe rejection mirrors this experience.
我们对被拒绝的描述印证了这种体验。

Researchers recorded over a dozen languages that relate rejection to being hurt, using terms like "crushed" or "broken-hearted."
研究者记录了许多将被拒绝与受伤相关联的描述,这些描述使用了一些词语,如“崩溃”、“心碎”。

So why does rejection trigger such a strong response, and is there any way to cope with this unique kind of pain?
那么为什么遭到拒绝会引发这么强烈的反应,有没有什么办法可以让我们应对这种独特的疼痛呢?

Psychologists often describe rejection as what happens when we perceive that others don't value having social connections with us.
心理学家通常把遭到拒绝描述为别人不屑与我们建立社交关系时会发生的情况。

This could occur when we're abandoned by a romantic partner, excluded from a group, or outright discriminated against.
可能是我们被爱人抛弃时,可能是被一群人排挤时,或者公开受到歧视时。

But it's worth noting that these interpersonal rejections have a social element that distinguishes them from not getting a job.
但是值得一提的是,这些人与人之间的拒绝和没拿到某份工作有一种社会因素上的差别。

In these experiences, we perceive that the rejecting party undervalues our relationship.
在以上几种情况中,我们会感觉拒绝方轻视了我们之间的关系。

And while the pain of rejection often increases the more we value a relationship, even rejections by relative strangers can hurt our feelings.
虽说遭到拒绝的痛苦通常会随着我们对某段关系的重视程度增加,但就算是陌生人的拒绝也会伤害我们的感情。

This might seem like an overreaction, but just as bodily pain warns us about perceived threats to our physical well-being,
看起来是我们反应过激了,但是,就如同身体上的疼痛警告我们发现了对我们身体健康的威胁,

hurt feelings warn us about perceived threats to our social well-being.
受伤的心情也在警告我们发现了对我们社交健康的威胁。

Some behavioral psychologists argue this warning system developed when our prehistoric ancestors lived in small clans and depended on everyone they knew for survival.
一些行为心理学家表示,这个警报系统在我们的史前祖先以小部落形式群居、得依靠每个认识的人生存的时候就已经产生了。

These humans may have evolved to perceive rejection from anyone as a potential threat to their safety.
这些人逐渐将别人的拒绝视为对他们安全的潜在威胁。

It's impossible to confirm this kind of evolutionary theory, but wherever this warning system came from,
要确认这种进化理论已经不可能了,但无论这个警报系统从何而来,

it doesn't include instructions for how to process this intense emotional experience.
它都没有指导人们如何处理这种强烈的情感体验。

So, the next time you're feeling rejected, try asking yourself these questions.
所以,下一次你感到被人拒绝时,问问自己这几个问题。

The first thing to consider is your relationship with the person rejecting you.
第一件需要考虑的事是你和拒绝方之间的关系。

Is this someone who knows you well and whose opinion you hold dear?
这个人和你很熟吗?而且你也很看重他的观点?

Or is it just a loose acquaintance?
还是只是泛泛之交?

If it's the latter, that might help you answer the second question: does this rejection really matter?
如果是后者,可能可以帮助你回答第二个问题:他的拒绝真的重要吗?

It can sting when a stranger doesn't laugh at your joke, but it doesn't make sense to react strongly to a rejection with little impact on your life.
一个陌生人不觉得你的笑话好笑确实会让你感到扎心,但如果这个拒绝不怎么会影响你的生活,那就没什么强烈反应的必要。

Of course, brushing off even a minor rejection is easier said than done, since how you perceive yourself also factors into this equation.
当然,就算是无视一个小小的拒绝也是说起来容易做起来难,因为你对自己的认知也是需要考虑的一个因素。

You likely feel more confident in some circumstances than others,
在某种场合下,你可能会比别人更有自信,

and people tend to be especially sensitive to rejection in situations where they have a low opinion of themselves.
在对自己缺乏自信的情况下,人们会对遭到拒绝尤为敏感。

So much so, that they even become more likely to misinterpret other people's neutral reactions as rejections.
敏感到会更容易把别人没有倾向的反应误解为拒绝。

This is why it can be helpful to both reflect on your self-view and ask yourself if the other person is actually rejecting you.
这也就是为什么从自己的角度反思、问问自己那个人是不是真的拒绝了你很有帮助。

This might seem like an odd question.
听起来是个奇怪的问题。

But you may find that while the other person didn't treat you as you would have liked, they still value your relationship.
但是你可能会发现虽然这个人没有以你想要的方式对待你,但是他依旧珍视你们之间的关系。

In some cases, it's also helpful to consider whether you were expecting more acceptance than was reasonable.
有些情况下,你也可以思考一下你想要的接受程度是不是已经超过了合理范围。

Unfortunately, after asking these questions, you might still conclude that a person close to you doesn't value your relationship as much as you do.
不幸的是,问了这些问题之后,你依旧有可能会发现这个与你亲近的人不像你这么珍视这段关系。

This is a painful realization, but it can help to remember two things.
多么痛的领悟,但是你可以记住这两件事。

First, this rejection isn't just about you.
第一,拒绝不只是你一方的问题。

The other party wants something different from your relationship, and what they want might be unreasonable, unfair,
另一方想从这段关系中获取一些不一样的东西,他们想要的东西可能是不合理的、不公平的,

or simply not what you have to give.
也许就不是你该给他的东西。

Second, their rejection isn't proof that there's something wrong with you.
第二,他们的拒绝不代表你有什么毛病。

The pain you're feeling is just part of a system nudging you to think about your interpersonal relationships.
你感受到的痛苦只是因为有这么一个机制,让你思考一下你的人际关系。

And by reflecting on your behavior,
通过反思自己的行为,

you can find clues to help better understand the rejection and think critically about the relationship you want to have with this person.
你可以找到一些方法,让你更好地理解拒绝这件事,辩证地思考你想和这个人之间建立的关系。

Every relationship and rejection is unique.
每段关系、每个拒绝都是独特的。

But whatever the specifics, it's important to remember that you're never alone in all of this.
但是无论细节如何,重要的是记住你在这个过程中不是一个人在战斗。

Everyone deals with rejection throughout their life— even those who seem confident in their belonging.
每个人都会一辈子经历被拒绝,那些看起来对自己的适应能力很有自信的人也是如此。

And one of the most common ways to cope with this universal experience is to reconnect with those who already accept you.
要应对这一司空见惯的经历,最常见的方法之一就是与那些已经接受你的人重新建立联系。

视频、演讲稿均来源于TED官网


【听歌学英语】喜欢的人说要拿这歌当结婚时候的背景音乐!

西方情人节背后的神伤史,2月14日这一天催热浪漫经济!

【视频】请注意,这不是爱情!




在看点这里

您可能也对以下帖子感兴趣

文章有问题?点此查看未经处理的缓存