查看原文
其他

演讲 | 中国留学生朱子曜马里兰大学毕业演讲:像乌龟一样砥砺前行

小芳老师 2020-09-18

提示:点击↑上方"小芳老师"免费关注哦


今年,马里兰大学的毕业演讲舞台上又迎来了一名中国留学生。他的名字叫朱子曜,来自史密斯商学院。在演讲中,他与大家分享了他求学过程中遇到的困难和得到的帮助,更重要的是,告诉了所有人马里兰大学的“乌龟”精神是怎样支持着每一个马里兰人走向更美好的明天!

- 视频和音频 -

https://v.qq.com/txp/iframe/player.html?vid=n0672z0i6r1&width=500&height=375&auto=0

女士们先生们,下午好
Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen


我注意到最近发生了两件大事—我的头发发生了一些变化
I noticed that recently there are two big things -- something happened to my hair


两件发生在马里兰大学的大事--大雨和期末考试
two big things going on in the university of Maryland, the rain and the big final


这大雨将我们淹没,期末考试也是如此
the rain drowns people so does the final 


但要祝贺我们所有人,我们挺过来了
But congratulations, everybody, you made it


给自己一个热烈的掌声,因为你们都是如此杰出的人
and give yourself a round of applause because you are so brilliant


我们的院长,全体教职员工,自豪的父母
Our dean, faculty, staff, proud parents


最重要的是2018届的所有毕业生和博士生
and above all graduates MS and phD students of class 2018


恭喜你们,今天这是你们的日子!
Congratulations, this is your day!


在感谢马里兰大学和史密斯商学院之前,我想诚实地说一件事
Before thanking UMD and the Smith school,I want to be honest about one thing.


我的脑海中经常会有一些奇怪的想法
I usually have some random questions in my mind.


几分钟前我在想
a couple minutes ago of thinking


如果任何事都是可能的,那么可能的事能否变为不可能
if anything is possible, if it's possible for something to be impossible


我将这布置为今晚的作业,大家可以思考一下
I will leave this is an assignment for tonight, just think about it.


但通常我不会去寻找答案

But normally I don't look for answers


但还有另一个问题,这是我在了解到马里兰大学的第一天就有的疑惑
But there was another question I had the first day I learned about UMD


为什么我们的吉祥物是一只乌龟?
Why our mascot is a turtle?


很多大学选择的是凶猛的动物或者有影响力的伟大人物
Many universities they pick fierce and mighty animals or figures.


普林斯顿大学是老虎,芝加哥大学是凤凰,杜克大学是恶鬼
Princeton has a tiger, university of chicago has a phoenix,duke has the blue devil.


直到来到马里兰大学并遇到了在这的人,我的疑惑才得到了解答
This question was not solved until I came to UMD and met its people here.


我在马里兰的头几个月简直就是噩梦
My first several months in Maryland was sheer nightmare


初来乍到,我在这里没有任何朋友
Fresh off the boat ,I got no friends here


我不会开车,所以我只能把自己锁在房间里
I didn't know how to drive, so I could only lock myself in my room


由于学业带来的压力,我开始有了脱发的问题
I started to have a hair loss issue due to academic pressure


因为我要花上整整三个小时才能弄明白最基本的概念
since I had to spend three hours to figure out the most basic concept.


我甚至想过要运行一个模型来预测在哪年我的头发将掉光
I even thought of running a model to predict in which year I would lose my hair


但讽刺的是,我不知道怎么运行模型因为我在编程方面缺乏经验
But ironically, I didn't know how due to my lack of experience in coding.


最糟糕的是,我得到了这样一个标签,一个学的慢的人和后进生
Worst of all,I attached this huge label to myself, a slow learner and underachiever


就像是乌龟-缓慢,模糊,绝对不是最聪明的那个
just like the turtle --  slow, obscure, and definitely not the smartest.


是史密斯商学院的张教授帮我认识到通往成功的道路并不容易
It was Professer Zhang at the Smith school who helped me realize the way to  success is never easy


她告诉我她也曾像我一样
She told me that she had been there. 


在她在哈佛读博士期间也处于难以想象的压力之下
Under imaginable pressure during her phD life in Harvard


她每天不得不凌晨4点起床
she had to get up at 4:00 every morning


每一天她都会怀疑自己的能力,自己的选择和自己的未来
and every single day she doubted her ability, her choice, and her future


但她决定接受挑战,并且一步一步地向前进
But she decided to accept the challenge and move forward step by step.


如今,她成为了统计学领域最棒的女教授
Nowadays, she has become the wonder woman in the field of statistics 


并且激励了成百上千个像我这样的学生
and inspires hundreds of students just like me.


就像一只乌龟,背着重重的壳,承担着所有这些问题,困难和压力
Like a turtle, with a tough shell, bearing all these questions, hardship and pressure


她仍在不断前进
she is still moving forward


我从我的同学身上学到了更多东西
Then I learned more from my classmates.


由于不相关的学术背景,一些人每天都要熬夜。
Some pulled an all-nighter on a daily basis due to irrelevant academic background


一些人在攻读硕士学位的同时还在学习MBA的项目
some were also taking the MBA program while pursuing a master's degree


一些人已经结婚了,需要喂宝宝吃饭,帮宝宝换尿布
some were already married and had mouths to feed and diapers to change


但他们之中没有任何一个人轻言放弃
But none of them raised the white flag easily


现在他们大多数人都取得了优异的成绩并且找到了满意的工作
Now many of them have earned excellent scores and found satisfying jobs. 


恭喜他们
congratulations.


当生活的混乱包围着他们的时候,他们仍然清楚自己的方向,就像乌龟一样
when the chaos of life surrounds them ,just like turtle, they still know their directions


这些经历让我意识到我们都是这样
This experience made me realize we're all made of


到了紧要关头,形势严峻的时候
when push comes to the shove, when rubber meets the road and chips are down


我意识到了在马里兰大学中每个人的核心都是什么
I realized what lies at the very core of every person in UMD


那就是我们都是乌龟
that is we are all turtles.


我们知道生活不是冲刺,不是一场马拉松,而是三项全能运动
We know life is not a sprint,is not even a marathon, life is a triathlon.


我们可能不像幸运的人那样有天赋,但我们不会轻视自己
we might not be as super talented as the lucky ones but we don't belittle ourselves


我们可能会一开始很慢,不断地受挫于挫折
we might start things slow and  be constantly discouraged by setbacks


但我们选择做这些事情不是因为它们简单,而是因为它们很困难
but we choose do these things not because they're easy but because they're hard.


我们可能不是第一个达到终点线的人
we might not be the first ones crossing the finish line


但我们一定是那个清楚地知道自己要去哪和为什么要去的人
but we are surely the ones  knowing where we're going and why.


这就是乌龟的精神
This is the terrapin spirit.


UMD这三个奇妙的字母可以被解释为,你必须下定决心
which could be interpreted by these three amazing letters UMD, that is you must be determined.


谢谢你们
Thank you.


今天我们在这里
Terps,here we are.


你今天迈出的一小步可能看上去很微小,但总有一天你会看到大的图景
The steps you taking today might seen small,but someday you will see the big picture.


只要你在向前进,无论是快是慢
as long as you're moving forward, no matter fast or slow.


请记住马里兰大学和史密斯商学院会一直在你身后支持你
and please remember smith school and UMD will always be there for you


谢谢大家
Thank you.


谢谢你们,谢谢我的教授,我的挚友,我的家人,我的女朋友和我的上司
thank you, my professors, my friends, my family, my girlfriend, my 
boss


最重要的是感谢这些年来一直支持着我的父母
and most importantly my parents who have supported me for so many years. 


谢谢你们
Thank you

本文转自:英语演讲视频精选


英文演讲 6月合集


    您可能也对以下帖子感兴趣

    文章有问题?点此查看未经处理的缓存