查看原文
其他

TED演讲:我为什么划船横渡太平洋

经典节目

TED合集

BBC纪录片合集

VOA慢速合集

口语积累

口语小知识

名著阅读

名人专访、演讲

资源下载

近22年TED

美剧下载

电影下载


两年前,罗兹·萨维奇辞去了她在伦墩的高强度工作,变身为一名划船横渡海洋的人。她曾独自一人横渡了大西洋,而本周她又将启程开始独自划船横渡太平洋的第三个阶段,她将是完成此壮举的世界第一位女性。她为什么要这样做?听她讲述其背后的深层个人原因及迫切的行动理由


TED视频

TED演讲稿

Hi, my name is Roz Savage and I row across oceans.

大家好,我是罗兹·萨维奇,我划船穿越大洋。

Four years ago, I rowed solo across the Atlantic, and since then,

四年前,我曾独自划船横渡了大西洋,之后,

I've done two out of three stages across the Pacific, from San Francisco to Hawaii and from Hawaii to Kiribati.

我又完成了跨越太平洋的两个阶段,从旧金山到夏威夷,以及从夏威夷到基里巴斯。

And tomorrow, I'll be leaving this boat to fly back to Kiribati to continue with the third and final stage of my row across the Pacific.

明天,我将离开这条船,飞回基里巴斯,去继续我第三段也是最后一段横渡太平洋的旅程。

Cumulatively, I will have rowed over 8,000 miles,

我一共要划行8000多英里,

taken over three million oar strokes and spent more than 312 days alone on the ocean on a 23 foot rowboat.

做300多万个划船动作,在23英尺长的小船上,我将独自在海上渡过超过312天。

This has given me a very special relationship with the ocean.

这次旅程使我和海洋的关系非比寻常。

We have a bit of a love/hate thing going on.

我们对事物或多或少都会热爱或者讨厌的情绪。

I feel a bit about it like I did about a very strict math teacher that I once had at school.

我的感觉就如同以前在学校里和我那个严厉的数学老师相处一样。

I didn't always like her, but I did respect her, and she taught me a heck of a lot.

我并不是一直都喜欢她,但是我的确很尊敬她。她教会了我许多许多。

So today I'd like to share with you some of my ocean adventures and tell you a little bit about what they've taught me,

今天在这里我想与大家分享一些我横渡大洋时的冒险经历,同时也想告诉大家海洋究竟都教会了我什么,

and how I think we can maybe take some of those lessons and apply them to this environmental challenge that we face right now.

我想也许我们能从中吸取一些经验,用它们来应对我们现在所面对的环境挑战。

Now, some of you might be thinking, "Hold on a minute.

在座的有些人现在一定可能在想,“得了吧。

She doesn't look very much like an ocean rower.

她长得一点也不像个横渡大洋者。

Isn't she meant to be about this tall and about this wide and maybe look a bit more like these guys?"

她是不是长得这么高,或者这么强壮,是不是和这些家伙们有那么一点相似呢?”

You'll notice, they've all got something that I don't.

大家看得出他们具备的一些东西我的确没有。

Well, I don't know what you're thinking, but I'm talking about the beards.

我不知道大家心里想的是什么,我是指我没有他们那样的胡子。

And no matter how long I've spent on the ocean, I haven't yet managed to muster a decent beard, and I hope that it remains that way.

无论我在大洋上渡过多长时间,我依然无法让自己拥有他们那样的漂亮胡子,我希望还是保持原状吧。

For a long time, I didn't believe that I could have a big adventure.

在很长一段时间里,我都无法相信自己可以去冒险。

The story that I told myself was that adventurers looked like this. I didn't look the part.

我所认为的冒险,就是这些人所做的。看上去我不适合这样的冒险。

I thought there were them and there were us, and I was not one of them.

我曾经觉得我们和他们是两种人,而我不能成为他们中的一员。

So for 11 years, I conformed. I did what people from my kind of background were supposed to do.

所以在11年里,我默守陈规,我完成了我这个背景的人应该做的事情。

I was working in an office in London as a management consultant.

我以前在伦敦的一间办公室里,作管理顾问的工作。

And I think I knew from day one that it wasn't the right job for me.

我想我从工作的第一天就知道这份工作并不对我的心思。

But that kind of conditioning just kept me there for so many years,

但是那份工作的丰厚待遇还是让我从事了多年,

until I reached my mid-30s and I thought, "You know, I'm not getting any younger. "

一直到我三十四、五岁的时候,我意识到,“是啊,我已经不再年轻。”

I feel like I've got a purpose in this life, and I don't know what it is,

我知道我的人生当中还有追求,但我不知道是什么,

but I'm pretty certain that management consultancy is not it.

我十分确定的是,管理顾问工作绝不是我追求的目标。

So, fast forward a few years. I'd gone through some changes.

几年的时间转瞬即逝。我也经历了一些改变。

To try and answer that question of, "What am I supposed to be doing with my life?"

我认真思考回答了这个问题,“在我的人生里,我到底最想做什么?”

I sat down one day and wrote two versions of my own obituary, the one that I wanted, a life of adventure,

终于有一天,我坐下来为自己写了两种不同的讣告,一个是我想要的,是充满了冒险经历的一生,

and the one that I was actually heading for which was a nice, normal, pleasant life,

而另一个则是按照我现在的生活轨迹所能达到的,一个享受正常、安逸、舒适生活的一生,

but it wasn't where I wanted to be by the end of my life.

而在我生命终结时,后者并不是我想要达到的目标。

I wanted to live a life that I could be proud of.

我希望拥有一个我为之自豪的一生。

And I remember looking at these two versions of my obituary and thinking, "Oh boy, I'm on totally the wrong track here.

我记得我面对着我的这两份讣告,心想:“哦,天呐,我处在错误的人生轨道上,

If I carry on living as I am now, I'm just not going to end up where I want to be in five years, or 10 years, or at the end of my life."

如果我继续这样生活下去,我是不会完成我生命的终极目标的,不论是在5年还是10年内,甚至到生命走到尽头是,我都不会完成。

I made a few changes, let go of some loose trappings of my old life,

我做了一些改变,放弃了一些以前生活的奢华,

and through a bit of a leap of logic, decided to row across the Atlantic Ocean.

经过几次逻辑跳跃,然后决定去横渡大西洋。

The Atlantic Rowing Race runs from the Canaries to Antigua, it's about 3,000 miles,

划船横渡大西洋的行程从卡纳里亚斯群岛到安提瓜,行程大约3000英里,

and it turned out to be the hardest thing I had ever done.

而这次旅程也成为了我所完成的最困难的事。

Sure, I had wanted to get outside of my comfort zone,

的确,我曾很想摆脱我安逸的生活,

but what I'd sort of failed to notice was that getting out of your comfort zone is, by definition, extremely uncomfortable.

但是我确从来没意识到,跳出我的舒适生活之外,我却过得如此不舒服,

And my timing was not great either: 2005, when I did the Atlantic, was the year of Hurricane Katrina.

而且,我对时机的把握也不是很好,2005年,我正在横渡大西洋的时候,也正是卡特里娜飓风肆虐的那一年。

There were more tropical storms in the North Atlantic than ever before, since records began.

北大西洋上的热带风暴也多于史上有纪录的任何时候。

And pretty early on, those storms started making their presence known.

很快,这些风暴就显示出了它们的威力。

All four of my oars broke before I reached halfway across.

我的四个桨在我的行程还没有达到一半的时候就全坏了。

Oars are not supposed to look like this. But what can you do?

看上去桨不应该是这样的。但你又能怎么办?

You're in the middle of the ocean. Oars are your only means of propulsion.

你正处在大洋当中,这些桨是你唯一的动力来源。

So I just had to look around the boat and figure out what I was going to use to fix up these oars so that I could carry on.

我只好找遍了整条船,想办法找到能够修好这些桨的东西,这样才能继续我的旅程。

So I found a boat hook and my trusty duct tape and splintered the boat hook to the oars to reinforce it.

我找到了一个船竿和我信赖的多功能胶布,然后我把船竿弄断,用它们加固船桨。

Then, when that gave out, I sawed the wheel axles off my spare rowing seat and used those.

然后,等它们不起作用了,我又把我的备用划船座椅的轮轴锯了下来,用它们来修我的桨。

And then when those gave out, I cannibalized one of the broken oars.

当它们不起作用了,我又把我的一支坏桨拆下来使用。

I'd never been very good at fixing stuff when I was living my old life,

我以前并不是一个擅长修补的人,

but it's amazing how resourceful you can become when you're in the middle of the ocean and there's only one way to get to the other side.

但当你身处海洋之中的时候,你会惊奇地发现你变得能够随机应变,而这也是通向彼岸的唯一办法。

And the oars kind of became a symbol of just in how many ways I went beyond what I thought were my limits.

这些桨也变成了我可以用多种方式来突破我自认为是极限的标志。

I suffered from tendinitis on my shoulders and saltwater sores on my bottom.

肩部的腱鞘炎让我十分痛苦,海水也杀的臀部非常疼。

I really struggled psychologically, totally overwhelmed by the scale of the challenge,

我在心理上也非常挣扎过,完全是因为挑战的规模之大击垮了我,

realizing that, if I carried on moving at two miles an hour, 3,000 miles was going to take me a very, very long time.

我意识到,如果我按照每小时2英里的速度划行,3000英里会让我划行很长很长时间。

There were so many times when I thought I'd hit that limit,

好几次,我都觉得自己已经达到了极限,

but had no choice but to just carry on and try and figure out how I was going to get to the other side without driving myself crazy.

但我没有别的选择,只有一路向前,我必须努力克制自己,好让自己能够知道如何前行,达到彼岸。

And eventually after 103 days at sea, I arrived in Antigua.

最终,在海上航行了103天以后,我终于抵达了安提瓜。

I don't think I've ever felt so happy in my entire life.

在我整个人生里,我从没这么高兴过。

It was a bit like finishing a marathon and getting out of solitary confinement and winning an Oscar all rolled into one.

这有点像把完成了马拉松、走出禁闭室,以及赢得了奥斯卡的感觉合在一起的感觉。

I was euphoric. And to see all the people coming out to greet me and standing along the cliff tops and clapping and cheering,

那一刻,我心潮澎湃。所有的人都跑过来向我问候,人们站在悬崖顶上鼓掌和唤呼,

I just felt like a movie star. It was absolutely wonderful.

我觉得自己像电影明星。那感觉简直太棒了。

And I really learned then that, the bigger the challenge, the bigger the sense of achievement when you get to the end of it.

我也确实明白了一个道理,困难越大,往往最终获得的成就感就越大。

So this might be a good moment to take a quick time-out to answer a few FAQs about ocean rowing that might be going through your mind.

现在也许正好可以利用一点时间来进行关于大洋横渡的一些问题的解答,当然,这些问题有可能就是你们想问的。

Number one that I get asked: What do you eat? A few freeze-dried meals, but mostly I try and eat much more unprocessed foods.

第一个问题是:你都吃什么?有时候我会吃冷冻的干食,但大部分时间我都会尝试吃更多的未加工的食品。

So I grow my own beansprouts. I eat fruits and nut bars, a lot of nuts.

我自己会种一些豆芽,我会吃水果和一些坚果块。我吃了许多的坚果。

And generally arrive about 30 pounds lighter at the other end.

到达终点的时候,我大概瘦了30磅。

Question number two: How do you sleep? With my eyes shut. Ha-ha.

问题2:你怎样睡觉?当然是把眼睛闭上了啊。哈哈。

I suppose what you mean is: What happens to the boat while I'm sleeping?

我猜你们是想问,如果你睡着了,船会怎样?

Well, I plan my route so that I'm drifting with the winds and the currents while I'm sleeping.

我周密地计划过路线,在我睡着的时候,我的船会随着风向和水流漂浮。

On a good night, I think my best ever was 11 miles in the right direction.

有一晚,运气比较好,我朝着正确的方向漂了11英里。

Worst ever, 13 miles in the wrong direction. That's a bad day at the office.

最差的一晚则向着错误的方向漂了13英里,那是工作中最糟糕的一天。

What do I wear? Mostly, a baseball cap, rowing gloves and a smile

我穿什么衣服?我大部分的时候都会戴一顶棒球帽,一副划船手套,还有是面带微笑

or a frown, depending on whether I went backwards overnight -- and lots of sun lotion.

或者是眉头紧锁,当然,这取决于夜里我的船有没有向反方向漂,我还擦了许多防晒霜。

Do I have a chase boat? No I don't. I'm totally self-supporting out there.

是否有跟着我的船?当然没有。我在海上是完全靠自己的。

I don't see anybody for the whole time that I'm at sea, generally.

总的来说,我在海上的时候,全程没见到任何人。

And finally: Am I crazy? Well, I leave that one up to you to judge.

最后一个问题:我是不是疯了?这个问题嘛,我想留给大家来评论吧。

So, how do you top rowing across the Atlantic?

你怎么才能超越横渡大西洋?

Well, naturally, you decide to row across the Pacific.

很自然,你会决定横渡太平洋。

Well, I thought the Atlantic was big, but the Pacific is really, really big.

我知道大西洋很大,但是太平洋是非常非常大。

I think we tend to do it a little bit of a disservice in our usual maps.

我认为我们应该对平常的地图做一点小小的改动。

I don't know for sure that the Brits invented this particular view of the world,

我不确定是不是英国人发明了这个看世界的特别角度,

but I suspect we might have done so: we are right in the middle,

但是我推测是我们发明的,因为我们处在中间的位置,

and we've cut the Pacific in half and flung it to the far corners of the world.

我们把太平洋一分为二,而且把它放在了天涯海角。

Whereas if you look in Google Earth, this is how the Pacific looks. It pretty much covers half the planet.

如果你用Google Earth的话,你会看到太平洋是这副模样,它差不多覆盖了半个地球。

You can just see a little bit of North America up here and a sliver of Australia down there.

你能够在它的上面看到一点北美洲,在下面也可以看到澳大利亚的一个边。

It is really big -- 65 million square miles -- and to row in a straight line across it would be about 8,000 miles.

它确实太大了,6500万平方英里,就算是直线横渡太平洋也得有8000英里。

Unfortunately, ocean rowboats very rarely go in a straight line.

不幸的是,划船渡洋很少能走直线。

By the time I get to Australia, if I get to Australia, I will have rowed probably nine or 10,000 miles in all.

在我达到澳大利亚前,我是说如果我顺利地达到澳大利亚,我大概一共要划9000到1万英里。

So, because nobody in their straight mind would row straight past Hawaii without dropping in,

所有的正常人都会考虑在划船经过夏威夷的时候顺便停留一下,

I decided to cut this very big undertaking into three segments. The first attempt didn't go so well.

于是我决定把这个大航程分成三个阶段进行。我的第一次尝进行得并不顺利。

In 2007, I did a rather involuntary capsize drill three times in 24 hours. A bit like being in a washing machine.

2007年,我有一次在24小时内3次被卷入了足以令我翻船的漩涡当中。感觉有点像掉进了洗衣机里。

Boat got a bit dinged up, so did I. I blogged about it.

我的船受到了一点损坏,我也受了点轻伤。我把这段经历写在了博客里。

Unfortunately, somebody with a bit of a hero complex decided that this damsel was in distress and needed saving.

一些有英雄情结的人认为我身处困境,并且需要帮助。

The first I knew about this was when the Coast Guard plane turned up overhead.

当海岸警卫队的飞机在我头上盘旋的时候,我才知道这些。

I tried to tell them to go away. We had a bit of a battle of wills.

我请他们离开,我们交涉了一段时间。

I lost and got airlifted. Awful, really awful.

然后我服从了他们,被接到飞机上,简直太糟糕了。

It was one of the worst feelings of my life, as I was lifted up on that winch line into the helicopter

那是我一生中心情最差的时候,我被用吊绳运送到了直升飞机里,

and looked down at my trusty little boat rolling around in the 20 foot waves and wondering if I would ever see her again.

我朝下面看了看与我并肩作战的小船,正在20英尺高的海浪里摇摆,我不知道还能不能再看见它。

So I had to launch a very expensive salvage operation and then wait another nine months before I could get back out onto the ocean again.

我不得不开展了花费甚高的抢救行动,然后又等待了漫长的九个月,我才又可以卷土重来开始我的横渡之旅。

But what do you do? Fall down nine times, get up 10.

能怎么样呢?只有屡败屡战。

So, the following year, I set out and, fortunately, this time made it safely across to Hawaii.

第二年,我重新出发,我这次比较走运,安全地划渡到达了夏威夷。

But it was not without misadventure.

但也不是完全地一帆风顺。

My watermaker broke, only the most important piece of kit that I have on the boat.

我的制水机坏了,它可是我船上最重要的装备。

Powered by my solar panels, it sucks in saltwater and turns it into freshwater.

它由太阳能电池板发电,吸收海水,然后把它变成淡水。

But it doesn't react very well to being immersed in ocean, which is what happened to it. Fortunately, help was at hand.

但如果它被海水浸泡,则不能正常运转,而这样的事情却不幸地发生了,万幸的是我立刻得到了帮助。

There was another unusual boat out there at the same time, doing as I was doing,

正好有条与众不同的船经过那里,他们和我做着同一件事情,

bringing awareness to the North Pacific Garbage Patch, that area in the North Pacific about twice the size of Texas,

用行动来呼吁对北太平洋垃圾大陆的重视,那个地区在太平洋北部,面积是德克萨斯州的两倍,

with an estimated 3.5 million tons of trash in it, circulating at the center of that North Pacific Gyre.

据北太平洋环流系统中心测试所得,大约有350万吨的垃圾存在于北太平洋垃圾大陆之中。

So, to make the point, these guys had actually built their boat out of plastic trash,

为了能引起人们重视,这些家伙用塑料垃圾建造了他们的船,

15,000 empty water bottles latched together into two pontoons.

他们把15000个空水瓶捆成了两个趸船。

They were going very slowly. Partly, they'd had a bit of a delay.

他们航行速度缓慢,他们在一定程度上被拖延。

They'd had to pull in at Catalina Island shortly after they left Long Beach

他们不的不在离开长滩后不久便在卡达琳纳岛休整了一段时间,

because the lids of all the water bottles were coming undone, and they were starting to sink.

因为他们所有水瓶的盖子都松动了,所以他们的船开始下沉。

So they'd had to pull in and do all the lids up.

所以他们不得不停下来,把这些盖子盖紧。

But, as I was approaching the end of my water reserves, luckily, our courses were converging.

但是正当我储备的水接近枯竭时,我们幸运地碰到了一起。

They were running out of food; I was running out of water.

他们没有了食物,我没有了水。

So we liaised by satellite phone and arranged to meet up.

我们用卫星电话取得了联系,安排见面。

And it took about a week for us to actually gradually converge.

大约一周以后,我们才真正会了面。

I was doing a pathetically slow speed of about 1.3 knots,

我划行的速度慢的可怜,只有1.3海里,

and they were doing only marginally less pathetic speed of about 1.4: it was like two snails in a mating dance.

而他们的最低速度也少于1.4海里,就像两只蜗牛在缓慢地跳着交欢舞。

But, eventually, we did manage to meet up and Joel hopped overboard,

不管怎么样,我们最终还是会面了,乔伊跳下船,

caught us a beautiful, big mahi-mahi, which was the best food I'd had in, ooh, at least three months.

为我们抓住了一条漂亮的大鲯鳅鱼,这是我在三个月以来吃到的最好吃的东西。

Fortunately, the one that he caught that day was better than this one they caught a few weeks earlier.

我们很走运,那天抓到的鱼要比几个星期前他抓到的那要好。

When they opened this one up, they found its stomach was full of plastic.

当他们宰鱼的时候,发现鱼的胃里全是塑料。

And this is really bad news because plastic is not an inert substance.

糟糕的是,塑料是惰性物质。

It leaches out chemicals into the flesh of the poor critter that ate it,

可怜的小生物吃下这些塑料,而后塑料分解出的化学物质进入他们的肌体里,

and then we come along and eat that poor critter, and we get some of the toxins accumulating in our bodies as well.

然后我们再吃那些可怜的生物,然后这些有毒物质也会在我们的身体里积攒起来。

So there are very real implications for human health.

这也会对我们人类的健康造成潜在的危害。

I eventually made it to Hawaii still alive.

最后,我还是活着到了夏威夷。

And, the following year, set out on the second stage of the Pacific, from Hawaii down to Tarawa.

转年,我又出发,进行我横渡太平洋的第二个阶段,从夏威夷到塔拉瓦。

And you'll notice something about Tarawa; it is very low-lying.

你们也许对塔拉瓦有所了解,它的海拔很低。

It's that little green sliver on the horizon, which makes them very nervous about rising oceans.

它就像地平线上的一小段绿线,这使得他们非常担心海平面的上升。

This is big trouble for these guys. They've got no points of land more than about six feet above sea level.

对这些人来讲,这是个大麻烦。在高于海平面六英尺的地方就没有立锥之地了。

And also, as an increase in extreme weather events due to climate change,

然而,极端天气的增多导致气候变化,

they're expecting more waves to come in over the fringing reef, which will contaminate their fresh water supply.

巨浪也会随之增多,巨浪淹没岸礁,就将导致他们的淡水源受到污染。

I had a meeting with the president there, who told me about his exit strategy for his country.

我在那与该国的总统会面,总统也向我透露了他为国家制定的生存战略。

He expects that within the next 50 years, the 100,000 people that live there will have to relocate to New Zealand or Australia.

他预期在未来的50年里,万千上万的该国国民将不得不去新西兰或澳大利亚定居。

And that made me think about how would I feel if Britain was going to disappear under the waves;

这不禁使我思考,如果某一天英国也消失在海浪里,我将会有如何的感受,

if the places where I'd been born and gone to school and got married, if all those places were just going to disappear forever.

如果这个生我的地方、我受教育的地方、我结婚的地方、如果这些地方将永远的消失,

How, literally, ungrounded that would make me feel.

会令我感到多么多么的不真实。

Very shortly, I'll be setting out to try and get to Australia,

我很快又会出发,争取达到澳大利亚,

and if I'm successful, I'll be the first woman ever to row solo all the way across the Pacific.

如果我成功了,我将会成为世界上第一个独自划船横渡太平洋的女性,

And I try to use this to bring awareness to these environmental issues, to bring a human face to the ocean.

我想以此行动来引起人们对环境问题的警示,也向大洋送上一份人类的问候。

If the Atlantic was about my inner journey, discovering my own capabilities,

如果说横渡大西洋是我的内在旅程,用它来发掘自己的能力,

maybe the Pacific has been about my outer journey,

那么此次太平洋之行则更像是一次外在旅程,

figuring out how I can use my interesting career choice to be of service to the world,

and to take some of those things that I've learned out there and apply them to the situation that humankind now finds itself in.

也帮助我把从那里学到的东西应用到我们人类现在正在面临的状况中来。 

I think there are probably three key points here.

我认为有三个关键问题。

The first one is about the stories that we tell ourselves.

第一个关键是我们对自己的认识。

For so long, I told myself that I couldn't have an adventure because I wasn't six foot tall and athletic and bearded.

在很长的时间里,我一直都认为自己不能去冒险,因为我没有六英尺高,也不好运动,而且也没胡子。

And then that story changed. I found out that people had rowed across oceans.

但是后来这些看法都改变了,我发现像我这样的人也有横渡大洋的。

I even met one of them and she was just about my size.

我甚至见过其中一位,她和我的个头差不多。

So even though I didn't grow any taller, I didn't sprout a beard, something had changed: My interior dialogue had changed.

所以我就想尽管我不能长得更高,我也不可能再长胡子,但我还是可以改变的:我的内心世界改变了。

At the moment, the story that we collectively tell ourselves is that we need all this stuff, that we need oil.

我们都一致的认为,我们需要材料,我们需要石油。

But what about if we just change that story?

但是如果我们改变我们的想法呢?

We do have alternatives, and we have the power of free will to choose those alternatives, those sustainable ones, to create a greener future.

我们当然还有别的选择,我们当然可以自由选择另外的一些可持续发展的原料,创造更加绿色的未来。

The second point is about the accumulation of tiny actions.

第二个关键是这些细微行动的积累。

We might think that anything that we do as an individual is just a drop in the ocean,

我们一般认为我们所做的这些是纯属个人行为,如九牛一毛,

that it can't really make a difference. But it does.

这些行动也不会带来任何改变,但是,它们确实能带来改变。

Generally, we haven't got ourselves into this mess through big disasters.

我们还没有陷入大灾难带来的混乱中。

Yes, there have been the Exxon Valdezes and the Chernobyls,

尽管发生过埃克森瓦尔德斯事故和切尔诺贝利核泄漏事件,

but mostly it's been an accumulation of bad decisions by billions of individuals, day after day and year after year.

但它们主要是由无数人的日复一日、年复一年的错误决定积累造成的。

And, by the same token, we can turn that tide.

寄于同样的原因,我们可以改变形势。

We can start making better, wiser, more sustainable decisions.

我们要开始做出更好、更明智、更有利于可持续发展的决定。

And when we do that, we're not just one person. Anything that we do spreads ripples.

当我们那样做的时候,我们不再是一个人。我们所做的任何事情都是为了造成影响。

Other people will see if you're in the supermarket line and you pull out your reusable grocery bag.

其它的人会看到你在超市排队时拿出了重复使用的购物袋。

Maybe if we all start doing this, we can make it socially unacceptable to say yes to plastic in the checkout line.

如果我们所有人开始做这么做,也许我们能让全社会拒绝结账时使用塑料袋。

That's just one example. This is a world-wide community.

这只是一个例子,世界是一个大家庭。

The other point: It's about taking responsibility.

另外的一个关键问题,是关于承担责任的问题。

For so much of my life, I wanted something else to make me happy.

我在生活的大部分时间里都努力使自己高兴。

I thought if I had the right house or the right car or the right man in my life, then I could be happy.

我曾认为如果我有称心房子、满意的轿车或对的人,我就会心满意足。

But when I wrote that obituary exercise,

但是,当我为自己写讣告的时候,

I actually grew up a little bit in that moment and realized that I needed to create my own future.

我发现自己在那一刻成熟了许多,我意识到我要自己创造未来。

I couldn't just wait passively for happiness to come and find me.

我不能够消极地等待幸福自己找上门来。

And I suppose I'm a selfish environmentalist.

我假想自己是一名自私的环境专家。

I plan on being around for a long time, and when I'm 90 years old, I want to be happy and healthy.

我打算长期致力于此项工作,当我90岁的时候,我希望自己健康快乐。

And it's very difficult to be happy on a planet that's racked with famine and drought.

然而如果我们居住的星球满目疮痍,充满了饥荒和干旱,我们很难会找到快乐。

It's very difficult to be healthy on a planet where we've poisoned the earth and the sea and the air.

如果我们的星球到处是受污染的土壤、海水和空气,我们无法维持健康。

So, shortly, I'm going to be launching a new initiative called Eco-Heroes.

简单地说,我打算发起一项新的行动,它叫做生态英雄。

And the idea here is that all our Eco-Heroes will log at least one green deed every day.

这项运动倡导我们所有的生态英雄们每天至少做一件绿色环保的事情。

It's meant to be a bit of a game. We're going to make an iPhone app out of it.

它有点像游戏。我们打算以此来制作一个iPhone软件。

We just want to try and create that awareness because, sure, changing a light bulb isn't going to change the world,

我们只是努力地创造那人们的环保意识,因为,当然了,更换一个灯泡并不会改变世界,

but that attitude, that awareness that leads you to change the light bulb or take your reusable coffee mug,

但是,那种促使你去换这个灯泡或自带可重复使用咖啡杯的环保意识和环保态度,

that is what could change the world.

却可以改变世界。

I really believe that we stand at a very important point in history.

我确信我们所处的历史时期是非常关键的一个阶段。

We have a choice. We've been blessed, or cursed, with free will.

我们面临一个选择。我们会被保佑,还是会被诅咒,完全凭我们自己的意志。

We can choose a greener future, and we can get there if we all pull together to take it one stroke at a time. Thank you.

我们可以选择一个更加绿色的未来,如果我们团结一心、齐心协力,我们就可实现这个目标。谢谢大家。



RECOMMEND
推荐阅读

常用英语1000词图解字典,附电子版下载!

100篇美国20世纪精彩演讲(文本+MP3音频)

《走遍美国》全78集视频+MP3+教材免费领取!

2010年代豆瓣十佳经典影片!全部9.0分以上(附资源)

203个英文视频合集:明星专访,名人演讲,励志视频……

《暮光之城》经典台词整理(附1-4部资源)

《风雨哈佛路》经典回顾:你的人生,其实早就注定了(附完整视频)

我知道你“在看”

    您可能也对以下帖子感兴趣

    文章有问题?点此查看未经处理的缓存