查看原文
其他

真正拉开你与周围人之间差距的是:自学能力

Love English 2 2022-12-23

I must say, this is my first time in Taiwan
这是我第一次到台湾
 
Actually, my first in Asia.
事实上是我第一次到亚洲来
 
I'm really excited. and, um, thank you.
我很兴奋。谢谢
 
I've only been here for two days, but
我到这里才两天 不过
 
谢谢你们的邀请
我很荣幸来到这里
 
Before I speak I’ve got something important to say.
开始之前我得先讲件重要的事
 
This is ted, so they told me to be very brief and to the point, concise.
他们说因为是TED
 
so I promise I'll as brief as possible
必须简洁有力
 
no matter how long it takes.
所以不管讲多长 我一定都会非常简洁有力的
 
I come from a conference that was held in Doha, Qatar
我刚从卡塔尔的多哈会议回来
 
At the international education resources network summit
关于国际教育资源网络的会议
 
one of the most important conference in the world about education.
是全球关于教育最重要的会议之一
 
And I've done in a couple of other times.
我之前已经参加过很多次了
 
So,right.
 
所以说像这样
 
successful running around the world
踏遍世界各地
 
everything was laid out for me
我好像一开始就得天独厚
 
not.
但其实不是这样
 
and I come from a small village in the north of Italy.
我来自北意大利的小村庄
 
from a lower middle class family
我的家庭是属于中下阶层
 
actually to be perfectly honest, to European standard ,pretty poor family
其实以欧洲的标准来说 是蛮穷的家庭
 
and if I look back in my past I realize
回首过去的我
 
that very few would bet on me.
看起来将来似乎不太会成功
 
I was, you know, one of the losers
我以前是所谓的「鲁蛇」(loser)
 
I was kind of a nerd.
算是个书呆子
 
And proud of it, it was fun.
而且当时我很以此为傲
 
still am. so um.
现在仍是
 
But i mean, the school environment was really tough.
我要说的是 当时的学校环境很糟
 
you have to fight your way out.
糟到你必须去打斗
 
When I say fight, I don't mean in the metaphorical term.
我说打斗不是譬喻
 
I mean, literally, fight.
是真的要「打」
 
And as you can tell
你可以看到这张照片
 
it is me right there
我在这里
 
the tough looking one
看起来最凶猛的那个
 
that. yeah
 
I was clearly the strongest and the biggest of the whole bunch.
我是那群最强壮最大只的一位
 
no problem for me there
没问题的
 
when I was 14 I had to decide the high school to attend
我十四岁那年 得决定去哪所高中
 
And my teacher, he said to my mom
那时我的老师告诉我妈妈
 
Ms...I'm sorry but your son is not one of the smart kids
很抱歉 你儿子不是个聪明的孩子
 
not the one. He's, you know, kind of stupid
他有点驽钝
 
he was asking weird questions.
他老是问些奇怪的问题
 
You should just send him to work.
你该让他直接去工作
 
You know, don't bother send him to school
不要让他继续读书了
 
Certainly don't send him to Ginnasio, the toughest school in the country.
尤其不需要送他去升学高中
 
I mean, ever
那些是全国竞争最激烈的学校
 
So my parents have been obviously the awesome parents they are
不过显然我爸妈是很棒的家长
 
They didn't listen the piles of nonsense
他们根本不听那些胡诌的话
 
And they send me precisely to the school that they said I'll never be able to make it.
他们就把我送去那所其他人认为我绝对无法去的学校
 
And two years later I was given a chance
两年后我得到个机会
 
I won a full scholarship for a very prestigious school.
一间非常有名的大学 给了我一笔全额奖学金
 
In the north of Italy, closely to Slovenia, it's called United World College
学校是在北意大利 叫做联合世界书院
 
Its mission was to make education a force to unite people,
学校的愿景是让教育成为整合人民、国家、文化的力量
 
nations and cultures for peace and a sustainable future.
以迈向和平和永续的未来
 
Just like my previous school. same thing.
这愿景跟我之前的学校一样
 
Yeah I was kind of like that.
差不多是这样啦
 
But this is my turning point.
但这是我人生的转折点
 
In that school I had amazing teachers. They were the best.
在那所学校 我有最棒的老师
 
Because more than just teachers,
不止是知识传授者
 
they were mentors.
他们还是心灵导师
 
They were guides, and they were friends.
他们引导了我 也是我的好朋友
 
They told us that we could be everything we wanted
老师们说我们可以变成任何想成为的人
 
We could do anything in our lives.
我们可以完成任何想做的事情
 
If we believe we can do it,
只要我们相信做得到
 
if we had a plan
只要我们有计划
 
and if we acted on it
只要我们去实践
 
right and making peace on earth was not a hippie dream
即使世界和平也不是嬉皮梦
 
It could have been a reality.
它可以实践
 
So that gave me the vision and the strength
这拓展我的视野 也赐给我力量
 
to take on many challenges that have gone through my life.
接受人生中的各种挑战
 
It brought me where I am today.
让我得以成为现在的我
 
If I'd listened to my teacher back in my previous school
如果我听从我前一所学校老师的话
 
I am probably sweeping the floor of the school by now.
我现在大概在替学校扫地
 
But how many kids didn't have this opportunity?
但有多少孩子没有这种机会?
 
It's nice to say the success story of one guy
讲一个成功者的故事当然很好
 
How many people are stuck in the small town
但有多少人被局限在小村庄
 
with uninspired teachers, violent classmates
只有无法鼓励他们的老师和暴力的同学
 
and no hope on the horizon
眼前毫无希望
 
In the past of couples of years I traveled extensively in many countries
过去几年我到了很多国家
 
many continents,schools, universities
跨洲拜访了很多学校、大学
 
fortune 500 companies
全球500强的公司
 
And I can tell you that my story actually is not my story
我告诉你 其实刚刚说的不是我的故事
 
It's maybe your story, or maybe your story
它可能是你的故事
 
It's story of thousands of people that I spoke to individually
是上千位听我演讲的人的故事
 
They came up to me and said
这些听众跑过来跟我说
 
I have the same thing
我也有同样的遭遇
 
Thank you
谢谢你
 
And theses are just the ones I spoke to in person
而这些只是来听过我演讲的人
 
It's probably millions of people
全球可能有几百万人
 
or hundred of millions people. Who knows?
甚至几千万人 都有同样的遭遇
 
This is a tragedy, right?
这是场悲剧
 
Why is this happening?
那为什么这会发生?
 
And many people ask the question
很多人问 面对充满不确定性的未来
 
Are we preparing children for the uncertain future that lies ahead?
我们替孩子准备好了吗?
 
But before we can answer this question,
不过回答这个问题前
 
I think we first must address two very important issues.
首先有两个非常重要的议题要探讨
 
The first is do we even know what we are looking for?
第一是 我们真的知道我们要什么吗?
 
What's the purpose.
教育的目的
 
What is education for?
应该是什么?
 
Because if we don't agree what education is for
因为如果我们对教育的目的没有共识
 
then we can never say we're doing a good or a poor job
那我们就不能说 目前的教育方式是对是错
 
I am going to tell you what education was for.
让我来告诉你教育原本的目的是什么
 
Education was created for making factory workers
教育原本是为了培养工厂的劳工
 
See at the end of 18th century. industrialization has the problem
工业在十八世纪末面临一个问题
 
They really had a hard time convincing people to leave the open fields and come to work at a factory
他们找不到人愿意到工厂上班
 
with dark rooms,10~12 hour a day, 10 ~12 hours a day,
工厂里都是乌漆妈黑的房间
 
repeating the same monotonous
还要每天重复10到12小时乏味的工作
 
mindless task over and over, obeying every order
不需思考 只需一直做一直做
 
without ever questioning anything and never complain about it.
听从命令 不能抱怨或质疑
 
I mean you can see why they had trouble finding volunteers.
你就知道为什么工厂找不到人了
 
I'm sure you have seen the historical reenactment by Mr.Chaplin
透过卓别林的影片 大家能了解工业革命时期的困状
 
So they created something called public educations
所以公立教育才成立
 
and placed you at where you are strictly separated by a year
公立教育用年龄把人区分
 
where you have to follow orders
在那里必须遵守命令
 
never question authority and do just what you're told.
绝不可以挑战权威 叫你做一就做一
 
sit down and shut up until you're told otherwise
坐下与闭嘴 除非叫你做别的
 
just obey orders.
完全服从命令
 
we spent the first three years of our lives
我们在生命中的头三年学习走路 讲话
 
learning how to walk and talk, kind of useful skills I would say
或者说所谓「有用」的技能
 
and for the rest we're told sit down and shut up.
之后我们只能坐下与闭嘴
 
and yeah that sounds like a great idea
这听起来实在是个很好的主意
 
I'm gonna do that.
我很乐意这样做
 
just follow as exactly as instructed, never question authority
只需要遵守指示 绝不挑战权威
 
I remember in the elementary school
我记得小学的时候
 
one day the teacher told us
有一次老师跟我们说
 
now children,whatever I ask
孩子们 现在不管我问什么
 
I want all you to answer at once
你们都要一起讲答案
 
understood? ok
懂了吗?好
 
So how much is six times four?
6乘以4等于多少
 
and we all said, at once!
然后我们就回答:答案!
 
See for the purpose that we set out for two hundred years ago
如果我们追求的是两百多年前的教育目标
 
the education system is doing fine.
那现在的教育体系算是很好了
 
In fact, it's working perfectly
没错 目前的方式很适合
 
creating obedient workers
创造乖顺的劳工
 
The trouble is
但问题是
 
This approach is no longer useful
这种方式已经不适用了
 
It was never humane to begin with
这一开始就不人性化
 
but it was economically advantageous.
只是为了帮助当时的经济
 
And now, it's neither.
可是现在 连经济都帮不了
 
So are we preparing children for the uncertain future that lies ahead?
所以目前的教育体系 能教导孩子如何面对未来吗?
 
The second problem is this:
第二个议题是
 
no matter the supposed expert would like to tell you
无论那些所谓的「专家」告诉你什么
 
Believe me, there are many of them,
 
我相信有很多,但事实上
 
nobody really knows what the future is going to look like five years from now
没有人知道五年后会变成怎样
 
and let alone ten or twenty years which is when a child who's now in kindergarten
更别说十年二十年
 
will graduate and will have to find a job.
在幼儿园的孩子 二十年后会毕业找工作
 
What about the rest?What about the hundreds of millions of people
更别提上亿正在工作的人
 
who are working today and who could be out of a job
未来五年十年 甚至二十年 可能失业
 
because they are displaced by robotics and artificial intelligence five, ten or twenty years from now
因为他们会遭机器人和人工智能取代
 
I hear that some guy wrote a book about that
我听过有人写了一本书
 
about robots will stealing your job.
叫机器人会来偷走你的工作
 
you can read for free at the PirateBay
你可以在海盗湾(档案分享网站)上免费看到
 
It's illegal. It's creative commons open knowledge.
去海盗湾下载是违法的 不过这本书有共创(CC)授权条款
 
So we only know one thing for certain
总而言之 我们只确定一件事
 
that the only constant is change.
只有「改变」是永恒不变的
 
After all, Entropy is not what used to be
毕竟熵的意义和以前也不一样
 
Change will always come
改变总会到来
 
and most likely at an increasing pace
而且极可能会越来越快
 
With this in mind
知道这个观念后
 
I think we must do three things.
我认为我们必须做三件事
 
The first, we must prepare to accept change in stead of fighting it
首先 我们必须接受改变 而不是抗拒它
 
I've been afraid of changes many times
我以前很常畏惧改变
 
I didn't want to change school, I didn't want to change jobs
我不想换学校和工作
 
Let me tell you
告诉你
 
whenever I was afraid to do something
当我害怕做某件事时
 
I didn't want to change
我都不想改变
 
Those are by far the most depressing moments of my life
然而那些时候却是我人生中最低潮的时刻
 
Being afraid is not nice
害怕改变并不好
 
It's paralyzing
它使人无法向前
 
Because when you are afraid, you're afraid to fail
因为你害怕 就意味着你害怕失败
 
You're afraid that yeah, I would not make it to that school
你害怕没进那所学校
 
I would not win the scholarship
害怕不能得到奖学金
 
I would not be able to change up and find something else.
害怕我不能够找到更好的方案
 
You know. They were right. I was stupid
他们是对的 我不够聪明
 
I couldn't learn. I couldn't learn lalalalaal
我学不会 我学不会 等等等等等等
 
It's a downward spiral.
就像无底洞一样
 
We live in a society that stigmatizes mistakes.
我们这个社会把错误污名化
 
We've been living in where failure is not an option
我们认为失败不能是个选项
 
And that we should play safe
因此我们总是寻求安全的路
 
Study something that will get you a safe job
读热门科系 才能找到工作
 
Work for a big company, look for stability
进大企业工作以寻求稳定
 
But you see, in the future of great uncertainty
但是我们都知道 未来充满不确定性
 
Stability is the illusion of the unimaginative.
稳定根本是假象
 
lifelong. I think we must move away from the idea that teaching is for adults, and learning is for kids.
第二点是终身学习 我们打破「成年人就是教导,小孩就是学习」思维
 
Learning is a lifelong experience.
学习该是终身
 
And anybody can be a mentor,
而且任何人都能是心灵导师
 
a teacher, or a friend to someone else.
是传授知识的老师、朋友
 
Or a guide.
或者是指导者
 
In our strictly individualistic society,
在这个极度个人主义的社会
 
our personal success is imperative
个人的成就成了必要
 
So we have standardized tests
所以我们有标准化的考试
 
we try to get the best grades
我们试图考最高分
 
at the best school
进最好的学校
 
so we can get to the best university
才可以考取到最好的大学
 
and then we can get to best job and outcompete everyone else and be successful.
争取到最好的工作 并打败他人取得成功
 
But in a collaborative society
但在一个合作的社会
 
your accomplishments. An accomplished individual is one that contribute the most
成功的人应该是贡献最多的人
 
both of their personal development as well as that of their fellow human beings.
包括个人成就和对群体的成就
 
When I was at school I remember that
我记得我在学校的时候
 
the way I learned best was not when the teacher was talking
最好的学习方式 并不是老师在说教的时候
 
was when one of my classmates would come up to me and say
而是我同学过来问我说
 
hey how? this is how you do it ?
你是怎么做到的?
 
Like in five minutes we would solve something that in 2 hours of lesson that nobody understood
我们在五分钟内 解决了两个小时的课堂上没人懂的问题
 
and I thought why can't we just get to that
我想我们为何不像这样
 
Those 5 minutes of peer learning
用五分钟 透过同侪间的学习方式学习
 
and when I was teaching someone else
当我在教别人时
 
I was really testing my ability of understanding and reciprocating that
我也在考验我的理解程度以及表达能力
 
And also it was much more fun and engaging
而且教人真的很好玩
 
It was rewarding to be able to teach to someone
教别人的时候你可以看见
 
you can see in their eyes like there've been going like tho sfor 2 hours
他们为了这个问题搞了两个钟头
 
and you teach them in two minutes
你两分钟就把他们教会
 
and their eyes go like
他们的眼睛会像这样
 
yeah! I get it
哇!我懂了!
 
It's fun, right?
很好玩不是吗?
 
And we need time to experiment
我们必须花时间去实验
 
to make mistakes, to teach yourself, to teach others
去犯错、教别人、也教自己
 
maybe with interesting problems
也许可以透过很有趣的问题
 
not, here's the vacuum. Imagine this idealized
而不是 这是真空环境 假设...
 
no no no, real life problems
不不不 一定要真实的课题
 
Problems that have many solutions
问题可能有很多解决之道
 
maybe no optimal solutions
也许没有最理想的解法
 
maybe no one know what the answer is
或者说不定根本没人知道答案
 
maybe there are no answers. Who knows?
甚至根本没有答案 谁知道呢?
 
Fun and challenging problems
当你试着探索
 
and the process of discovery just like they were saying
有趣且具挑战的问题
 
"starve them, not stuff them."
就像之前的讲者说的
 
The speaker before me.
「让他们渴望知识 而不是塞知识给他们」
 
It's exactly right
非常有道理
 
Discovery. Learning is a process that happens when you're interested and engaged.
好的学习过程 是会让人很快乐以及非常投入的
 
Not when you're receiving
一直接收讯息并不代表学习
 
This way, you foster an innate curiosity
透过好的学习方式 会激起
 
that is inside all of us.
内心与生俱来的好奇心
 
And finally I think we must develop a stronger culture of grit
最后 我认为我们必须培养一个有毅力的文化
 
Grit means passion. It means perseverance. It means never giving up.
毅力的意思是热忱、持续力、永不放弃
 
The determination
这种决心
 
So many people see my success story
很多人看了我成功的故事
 
and they wonder what's different about me
他们好奇我有什么不一样
 
Am I special? no
 
我很特别吗?不是
 
Do I come from a rich family? No
 
我家很有钱吗?也不是
 
Am I some sort of genius? Nonsense, my teacher said that I was too stupid too learn
我是天才吗?当然不是!我的老师说我笨到无法学习
 
So what's different? It's very simple
那到底哪里不一样?很简单
 
I had somebody who believe in me
有人相信我
 
And I never gave up. That's it
而且我从不放弃.就这样
 
Studies has shown that intelligence, talent
研究显示智力、才华和社会地位
 
and social status have very little correlation with your long term success in life
跟你长期的成功没有太大的关联
 
So if you can find the person
如果你能够找到
 
If you can find somebody who believes in you
相信你的人
 
Somebody who can look at you in the eye
这位可直视你的眼睛
 
and tell you that you're not stupid
告诉你你不笨
 
you're not crazy. go for it
 
你并不疯狂,去做吧
 
THAT changes everything, everything
那会改变所有一切,完全改变
 
My drive has always been to fix stuff.
我很喜欢修理东西
 
and whenever I saw something I want to be there to fix it, or make it better
我看到任何东西都想修理它 让他变好一点
 
or finding it get more optimal resolutions.
或者帮它找到比较理想的办法
 
whenever I saw a toy or a desk and bicycle
无论是玩具、书桌或脚踏车
 
or the school or politics in Italy.
无论是意大利的学校还是政治
 
I want to fix everything
无论是什么
 
didn't matter what it was
我都想修理
 
couldn't help it
没办法
 
and when I was twelve I saw this thing, this computer
我十二岁的时候我看到计算机
 
which I could program myself
发现可以写程序
 
and it will do stuff for me
来帮我做事
 
and I was like holy cow
我那时觉得天呀!
 
this is amazing
这太神奇了
 
Seriously, I didn't have any money
我根本没钱
 
I didn't have any resources, I don't have any budget
没有资源或预算
 
But suddenly, I could solve humongous problems
但突然间这么庞杂的问题
 
that used to required thousands of people
以前需要很多人去解决
 
just by myself
竟然我自己就可以搞定
 
the only thing I needed was
而我只需要的只是决心
 
determination, passion, interest, and patience. lots of patience.
热忱、兴趣、以及许多许多的耐心
 
but then
接着
 
when I found a community of activists, of hackers, of makers
我看到社会运动的份子 甚至黑客
 
people who challenge me, people who inspire me
他们挑战我、激励我
 
everything got so much better, so much faster, so much quicker
所有的东西都变得更好、更快
 
and so much more interesting and engaging.
而且更有趣
 
It increased my range, in orders of magnitude
拓展我的视野
 
and we need to foster our creativity.
我们需要激发的创造力
 
I think that has a lot to do with mentorship
而我认为这与心灵导师有很大的关系
 
with guidance
协助指引
 
First I had my parents who believed in me
一开始我有父母相信我
 
And then, my school, the college
接下来是学校和大学
 
and then countless other people to which
以及许多人
 
I owe everything
我欠这些人
 
everything that I am now
我现在拥有的一切
 
there are many people here on the stage
你可以看见
 
you can see them
好多人在这舞台上
 
not crazy, I don't really see them
我还没疯 当然这些人不是真的在我身旁
 
but you know what I mean
不过你懂我的意思
 
I am standing on their shoulders
我站在这些巨人的肩膀上
 
If it hadn't been for them, I would not be here now
若非他们 我今天不会站在这
 
talking to you
和你们讲话
 
and technology is now making this process easier, more skills available than ever.
而科技让资源变得比以前更容易取得
 
Because your mentor doesn't have to be in the same village, doesn't have to be in the same town
你的心灵导师不必和你来自同一个城镇
 
or even the same country
不必来自同一个国家
 
doesn't even have to speak the same language
甚至不需要说同一种语言
 
we can't forget that only 6% of the world speak English natively
别忘了世界上以英语为母语的人只有6%
 
and 73% of the world doesn't understand any English
还有73%的人一点英文都不懂
 
But now technology is taking down all these barriers.
今日的科技打破了这些藩篱
 
For the first time in human history
这是人类史上第一次
 
we have the technological tools to bring about a revolution in education
可以利用科技革命教育
 
But it won't come by itself
但革命不会自己发生
 
We need people too
革命需要人来推动
 
and also we need the right mindset
也需要对的心态
 
So that's my project, esplori
这是我的计划 叫Esplori
 
Imagine if the sum of human knowledge were available to everyone, on earth,
想想如果任何人 无论他在哪、说哪种语言
 
anywhere on earth, to everyone in any language on video
都可以取得所有的知识
 
and imagine you could be a farmer in India
想象你是印度的农夫
 
or a hacker in Taiwan
或是台湾的计算机鬼才
 
or a solar engineer in Ecuador
或是厄瓜多的太阳能工程师
 
Imagine if you can teach your skill to anybody
想想你可以把你的技能 传授给世上任何人
 
regardless where they are, or what language they speak
无论他们在哪 说什么话
 
or how rich they are
甚至有没有钱
 
wouldn't it be great?
不是很棒吗?
 
But better yet, what if you can be a guide
若是你能够成为一个指引
 
what if you could be a mentor
一位心灵导师
 
to someone who hasn't figured out yet what they want to do
帮助那些尚未清楚他们要什么的人
 
whenever I travel, I see thousands and thousands of young people
每次到世界各地 我都会碰动好多好多年轻人
 
kids who tell me that I don't know what to do
甚至小孩 跟我说他不知道要做什么
 
but I need to decide my university and my parents are telling me this and my job and blalalalala
但现在得决定大学该去哪 该从是什么 我爸妈又要我做什么什么
 
They don't have the time to think, to experiment
他们没时间去思考 去尝试
 
They don't have any guidance
他们没有人引导他们
 
What if we could use technology to make that happen easily
如果我们能透过科技 更容易引导他们
 
Imagine a strong community of dedicated individuals
一群愿意奉献的人
 
who want to help each other
互相帮助
 
who are solving challenging and fun problems
解决具挑战性却有趣的问题
 
everything that I have talked about until now in this 13 minutes
刚刚这十三分钟内讲的话
 
Everything that I've learned in my life
我过去所学的
 
everything that I am
我现在的一切
 
is right here in this project
都在这个计划里
 
so this is it
所以该这么说
 
It's my mission, my passion.
这是我的任务、热忱
 
It's my drive.
我的动力
 
It's what keeps me awake at night at 3 a.m and happy to do it
这是让我凌晨三点还醒着做 但非常快乐的东西
 
and with your help
借着各位的帮助
 
I think we can make it.
我们可以成功
 
So that's my part
所以呢
 
and since this is a conference about education
既然这是关于教育的演讲
 
here's your homework
在此给大家一个回家作业
 
If you can inspire somebody
如果你可以激励一个人
 
to follow their passion
促使他跟着他的热忱走
 
If you can give them a chance
如果你有机会
 
and make them feel special
让他明白自己是非凡的人
 
I can tell you. In fact, I can guarantee you
我以我亲身经历
 
from personal experience
向你保证
 
You will have saved a life.
你可以拯救他的人生
 
So off you go
所以各位去吧!
 
save a life
去拯救他的人生

长按识别二维码可关注该微信公众平台
经典回顾
死亡人数破20万!白宫发言人:没死200万,说明政府行动果断
【人生必看微电影】盖章,Youtube最感人爆红短片
珍贵影像!清朝德龄公主美国演讲,现在听来还是很应景……
超越极限,人生并没有什么不可能!
英国学者用27分钟把中美关系讲透了
秋分
雄鹰
美国人骨子里认为自己天下第一,但事实是……
勿忘国耻!铭记九一八
这就是中国!火遍了全球……THIS IS CHINA
4分钟短片刷爆朋友圈,泪点低者慎入!

您可能也对以下帖子感兴趣

文章有问题?点此查看未经处理的缓存