走进牛津大学丨第38期 撒切尔:那时我手头不富裕
Thatcher said in her autobiography, "I went to take examinations in Oxford in a chilly winter."
她在自传中写道:“我是在一个隆冬的严寒中去参加牛津的人学考试的。”
This was the first time that I grasped a clear face of Oxford.
这是我第一次对牛津有全方位的了解。
Before then,I had little impression of the College I was going to study in, let alone the university as a whole.
之前,我对我将要就读的学院知之甚少,对整所大学的了解就更有限了。
Then I was admitted and became a formal member of the university.
后来我被录取了,成为了这所学校的一分子。
If I were allowed to use one word to describe the full view of Somerville College, that will be 'simple'.
如果让我用一个词来形容萨默维尔的全貌的话,那就是‘朴实'。
It was so simple that the people passing by would never imagine that it was the renowned Somerville College...
她的外表是那么的朴实低调,以至于很多经过这里的人都不知道这就是大名鼎鼎的萨默维尔学院……
My life in Oxford could be more varied and colorful. But I was poor then.
我的牛津生涯本来可以更丰富多彩些,但那时我手头不富裕,
If it were not for my helpful supervisor, the chemist Dorothy Hodgkin,
若不是我的导师——乐于助人的化学家多萝西.霍奇金
who always recommended me for some scholarships, I even could not make ends meet,
总是向学校建议让我获得一些奖学金,我将人不敷出。
Besides, I was also supported financially by some educational funds.
此外,我还得到了一些教育基金的资助。
Therefore, most of my time was spent in learning.
基于这些情况,我的大部分时间都在啃书本。
When I graduated from Oxford, I had got a perfect understanding about the world, especially politics.
从牛津毕业之际,我对大千世界,尤其是政治局势的情况已了解不少。
My character never changed, so did my faith.
我的性格依然如故,信仰也一如既往。
But I mastered the ability of how to handle the ambitions and opinions of others.
但我已经能够很好地对待他人的雄心和意见了。
In a word, I had grown up.
简言之,我长大了。
This mysterious process brings people to all kinds occupations, celebrated or mediocre.
这个神秘的过程把人们带向种种显赫的或者平庸的职业。
Fortunately, I figured out what was the thing that I real want to do in the future.
幸运的是,我找到了自己此生真正想要去做的事情。
读一些无用的书,做一些无用的事,花一些无用的时间,都是为了在一切已知之外,保留一个超越自己的机会,人生中一些很了不起的变化,就是来自这种时刻。by 梁文道
————
公众号简介:英文视听说是一个适合各级各类学习者教师人群的,由专业英语教师编辑推送的公益性专业性账号,每日推送适合大家学习教学使用的视听说资源,不定期推送遴选珍贵资源干货,欢迎大家关注分享。所有素材均来自网络,仅做英语学习观摩使用,不代表本平台任何观点立场,如侵权请留言删除。英文视听说,关注了,就希望可以永远在一起,爱你们💗
————
今天点好看,明天更好看