查看原文
其他

【TED演讲】监狱能如何帮助犯人过有意义的生活?

202294 TED英语演讲课 2023-01-29

TED英语演讲课

给心灵放个假吧


     

演讲题目How prisons can help inmates live meaningful lives


演讲简介

在美国,管理监狱的机构通常被称为“惩教署”。然而,他们的焦点是在容纳和控制犯人。丹·帕卓奇,华盛顿州惩教署副秘书长,分享一个不同的观点:监狱在提供人道主义生活条件的同时,也应该提供有意义的工作和学习机会。



中英文字幕


Now this was the early '80s, and prisons weren't quite what you see on TV or in the movies.
这是早期的80年代,监狱还不太是你们在电视上或者电影里看到的样子。

In many ways, it was worse.
在许多方面,它更糟糕。

I walked into a cell house that was five tiers high.
我走进一个五层高的牢房里。

There were eight men to a cell.
在一个牢房里有八个人。

there were 550 men in that living unit.
一个生活单元里有550人。

And just in case you wondered, they shared one toilet in those small confines.
以防你不知道,他们在那些小隔间里共用一个厕所。

An officer put a key in a lockbox, and hundreds of men streamed out of their cells.
一个警官把一条钥匙插进密码箱里,数以百计的人从他们的牢房里涌了出来。

Hundreds of men streamed out of their cells.
数以百计的人从他们的牢房里涌了出来。

I walked away as fast as I could.
我以最快的速度走开了。

Eventually I went back and I started as an officer there.
最终我回去了,我在那里成为了一个狱警。

My job was to run one of those cell blocks and to control those hundreds of men.
我的工作是管理其中一个牢房区以及控制那里数以百计的犯人。

When I went to work at our receptions center, I could actually hear the inmates roiling from the parking lot, shaking cell doors, yelling,
当我去我们接待中心工作的时候,我能真的听见犯人从床上滚下,摇晃牢房的门,叫喊,

tearing up their cells.
毁坏他们的牢房。

Take hundreds of volatile people and lock them up, and what you get is chaos.
把许许多多不稳定的人关起来,你得到的只有混乱。

Contain and control -- that was our job.
遏制和控制——这就是我们的工作。

One way we learned to do this more effectively was a new type of housing unit called the Intensive Management Unit, IMU, a modern version of a "hole."
我们学习到更有效的一种方式是一个新型的居住单元,叫集约化管理单元,IMU,一个现代版的“洞穴”。

We put inmates in cells behind solid steel doors with cuff ports so we could restrain them and feed them.
我们把犯人放进用实心钢门封住的牢房戴上手铐,以便于我们能限制他们还有给他们食物。

Guess what?
你猜怎么着?

It got quieter.
他们变得更安静了。

Disturbances died down in the general population.
骚乱在普通人群中逐渐消失。

Places became safer because those inmates who were most violent or disruptive could now be isolated.
地方变得更安全了,因为那些最暴力或最具破坏性的囚犯现在能被隔离起来了。

But isolation isn't good.
但是隔离并不好。

Deprive people of social contact and they deteriorate.
剥夺犯人的社交联系让他们变得更恶劣了。

It was hard getting them out of IMU, for them and for us.
把他们从IMU弄出来是很困难的,无论是对他们还是对我们来说。

Even in prison, it's no small thing to lock someone up.
即使在监狱,把某一个人关起来决不是一件小事情。

My next assignment was to one of the state's deep-end prisons where some of our more violent or disruptive inmates are housed.
我的下一个任务是去州里一个关押更暴力或者更具破坏性的囚犯的监狱。

By then, the industry had advanced a lot, and we had different tools and techniques to manage disruptive behavior.
到那时候为止,行业已经进步了许多,而我们拥有了不同的工具和技术去管理破坏性行为。

We had beanbag guns and pepper spray and plexiglass shields, flash bangs, emergency response teams.
我们有了豆袋枪和胡椒喷雾还有防爆盾,闪光弹,应急反应小组。

We met violence with force and chaos with chaos.
我们用暴力来对付暴力,用混乱面对混乱。

We were pretty good at putting out fires.
我们很擅长扑灭战火。

While I was there, I met two experienced correctional workers who were also researchers, an anthropologist and a sociologist.
在那里工作的时候,我遇到了两个经验丰富的管教人员,并且他们都是研究员,一位是人类学家,还有一位社会学家。

One day, one of them commented to me and said, "You know, you're pretty good at putting out fires.
一天,他们其中一人对我说,“你知道,你很擅长平息战火,

Have you ever thought about how to prevent them?"
但你有没有想过如何预防它们?”

I was patient with them, explaining our brute force approach to making prisons safer.
我对他们很耐心,解释我们的暴力法是为了把监狱变得更安全。

They were patient with me.
他们对我很有耐心。

Out of those conversations grew some new ideas and we started some small experiments.
从这些对话中产生了一些新的想法,我们开始了一些小实验。

First, we started training our officers in teams rather than sending them one or two at a time to the state training academy.
首先,我们从培训几组狱警开始,而不是一次送一个或者两个狱警到州立培训学院。

Instead of four weeks of training, we gave them 10.
我们提供给他们10周的培训,而不是原本的4周。

Then we experimented with an apprenticeship model where we paired new staff with veteran staff.
然后我们尝试了一种学徒制模式,我们将新的员工跟经验丰富的老手配对。

They both got better at the work.
他们俩在工作上都变得更好了。

Second, we added verbal de-escalation skills into the training continuum and made it part of the use of force continuum.
第二,我们增加了口头降级技巧到连续不断的训练中,以及令它成为武力使用等级的一部分。

It was the non-force use of force.
它是暴力的非暴力形式的应用。

And then we did something even more radical.
然后我们做了一些更加激进的事情。

We trained the inmates on those same skills.
我们训练犯人那些相同的技巧。

We changed the skill set, reducing violence, not just responding to it.
我们改变了技巧,减少了暴力,而不仅仅是回应它。

Third, when we expanded our facility, we tried a new type of design.
第三,当我们扩建设施的时候,尝试了一个新型的设计。

Now the biggest and most controversial component of this design, of course, was the toilet.
现在,设计中最大以及最受到争议的部分当然是,厕所。

There were no toilets.
那里没有厕所。

Now that might not sound significant to you here today, but at the time, it was huge.
对于今天现场的你们来说,这些可能听起来不重要,但是在那时候,这是个很严重的问题。

No one had ever heard of a cell without a toilet.
没有人听说过牢房没有厕所。

We all thought it was dangerous and crazy.
我们都认为这很危险,也很疯狂。

Even eight men to a cell had a toilet.
即使八个人的牢房也有厕所。

That small detail changed the way we worked.
那个小的细节改变了我们工作的方式。

Inmates and staff started interacting more often and openly and developing a rapport.
犯人和工作人员开始更频繁和开放地互动以及发展出了和谐的关系。

It was easier to detect conflict and intervene before it escalated.
探测冲突和在升级前干预变得更加容易。

The unit was cleaner, quieter, safer and more humane.
单元变得更加整洁,安静,安全以及更加人性化。

This was more effective at keeping the peace than any intimidation technique I'd seen to that point.
这在保持和平上比任何其他我见过的恐吓技术都要更有效率。

Interacting changes the way you behave, both for the officer and the inmate.
互动改变了你的行为方式,无论是对狱警还是对犯人来说都是如此。

We changed the environment and we changed the behavior.
我们改变了环境,我们还改变了行为。

Now, just in case I hadn't learned this lesson, they assigned me to headquarters next, and that's where I ran straight up against system change.
这时候,以防万一我没有吸取这个教训,他们接着安排我去总部,那是我直接执行系统改革的地方。

Now, many things work against system change: politics and politicians, bills and laws, courts and lawsuits, internal politics.
这时候,很多事情对系统改革不利:政治和政治家,法案和法律,法院和诉讼,内部政治。

System change is difficult and slow, and oftentimes it doesn't take you where you want to go.
系统改革是困难以及缓慢的,而它时常带不了你去你想到的地方。

It's no small thing to change a prison system.
改变一个监狱系统并不是一件小事情。

So what I did do is I reflected on my earlier experiences and I remembered that when we interacted with offenders, the heat went down.
所以我反省了一下过去的经验,并且我想起来当我们与罪犯交流的时候,紧张度就下降了。

When we changed the environment, the behavior changed.
当我们改变环境的时候,行为就会改变。

And these were not huge system changes.
而这些不是大的系统性的改革。

These were small changes, and these changes created new possibilities.
这些是小的改变,并且这些改变制造出新的可能。

So next, I got reassigned as superintendent of a small prison.
接下来,我被分配到了一所小监狱当狱长。

And at the same time, I was working on my degree at the Evergreen State College.
并且在同一时间,我正在为我在艾沃格瑞州立学院的学位而努力。

I interacted with a lot of people who were not like me, people who had different ideas and came from different backgrounds.
我去很多与我不同的人接触,跟我有不同想法的人,还有有着不同背景的人。

One of them was a rainforest ecologist.
其中有一个人是雨林生态学家。

She looked at my small prison and what she saw was a laboratory.
她看了一下我的小监狱,而她想到的是一个实验室。

We talked and discovered how prisons and inmates could actually help advance science by helping them complete projects they couldn't complete on their own,
我们交流并发现监狱以及犯人是如何能够通过帮助他们完成试验项目从而来帮助科学发展,他们没法自己完成,

like repopulating endangered species: frogs, butterflies, endangered prairie plants.
像重新繁衍濒临灭绝的物种:青蛙,蝴蝶,濒临灭绝的草原植物。

At the same time, we found ways to make our operation more efficient through the addition of solar power, rainwater catchment, organic gardening, recycling.
与此同时,我们发现了让我们运行的更有效率的方法,通过引入太阳能,雨水收集,有机园艺,回收利用。

This initiative has led to many projects that have had huge system-wide impact, not just in our system, but in other state systems as well,
这一倡议已经导致了很多有巨大系统性影响的项目,不仅仅在我们的系统内,在其他州的系统也一样,

small experiments making a big difference to science, to the community.
小型的实验对科学对社区产生巨大影响。

The way we think about our work changes our work.
我们看待工作的方式改变了我们的工作。

The project just made my job more interesting and exciting.
这个项目让我的工作变得更加有趣和令人兴奋。

I was excited.
我很兴奋。

Staff were excited.
工作人员很兴奋。

Officers were excited.
狱警们很兴奋。

Inmates were excited.
犯人们很兴奋。

They were inspired.
他们都受到了启发。

Everybody wanted to be part of this.
每一个人都想成为其中的一份子。

They were making a contribution, a difference, one they thought was meaningful and important.
他们对有意义和重要的事,做出了贡献,产生了影响。

Let me be clear on what's going on here, though.
不过,让我说清楚这里正在发生什么事情。

Inmates are highly adaptive.
囚犯的适应能力很强。

They have to be.
他们必须这样做。

Oftentimes, they know more about our own systems than the people who run them.
通常,他们比管理他们的人更清楚自己的系统。

And they're here for a reason.
他们进监狱是有原因的。

I don't see my job as to punish them or forgive them, but I do think they can have decent and meaningful lives even in prison.
我并不认我的工作是去惩罚或者原谅他们,但是我认为他们即使在监狱也能拥有得体和有意义的生活。

So that was the question: Could inmates live decent and meaningful lives, and if so, what difference would that make?
所以那是个问题:犯人们可以过上体面而且有意义的生活吗?如果可以,会带来怎样的不同?

So I took that question back to the deep end, where some of our most violent offenders are housed.
我带着那疑问回到最深的尽头,那个关押最暴力的罪犯的地方。

Remember, IMUs are for punishment.
记住,IMU(集约化管理单元)是用于惩罚的。

You don't get perks there, like programming.
你不会在那里得到额外的好处,比如规划。

That was how we thought.
我们就是这样想的。

But then we started to realize that if any inmates needed programming, it was these particular inmates.
但是我们开始意识到这些特定的犯人,比任何其他人都更需要计划指令。

In fact, they needed intensive programming.
事实上,他们需要强烈的适应。

So we changed our thinking 180 degrees, and we started looking for new possibilities.
所以我们在思想上有了180度的转变,开始寻找新的可能性。

What we found was a new kind of chair.
我们找到的是一种新型的椅子。

Instead of using the chair for punishment, we put it in classrooms.
取代了原来用来惩罚的椅子,我们把它放置于教室。

Okay, we didn't forget our responsibility to control, but now inmates could interact safely, face-to-face with other inmates and staff,
好吧,我们没有忘记控制的职责,但是犯人可以安全地相处,跟狱友还有工作人员面对面沟通,

and because control was no longer an issue, everybody could focus on other things, like learning.
而且因为管制已经不再是一个问题了,所有人都可以集中精力到其他的事情中,像学习。

Behavior changed.
行为改变了。

We changed our thinking, and we changed what was possible, and this gives me hope.
我们改变了思维,创造不同的可能性,而这给我们带来了希望。

Now, I can't tell you that any of this stuff will work.
现在,我无法肯定这完全可行。

What I can tell you, though, it is working.
我能告诉你的是,它正在起作用。

Our prisons are getting safer for both staff and inmates, and when our prisons are safe,
对工作人员和犯人来说我们的监狱都变得更加安全,而当我们的监狱安全了,

we can put our energies into a lot more than just controlling.
我们可以把精力投入到更多的事情上,而不仅仅是控制。

Reducing recidivism may be our ultimate goal, but it's not our only goal.
减少惯犯也许是我们的终极目标,但是它不是我们的唯一目标。

To be honest with you, preventing crime takes so much more from so many more people and institutions.
老实说,预防犯罪需要更多的人和机构做更多的工作。

If we rely on just prisons to reduce crime, I'm afraid we'll never get there.
如果我们仅仅依靠监狱来减少犯罪,恐怕我们永远也达不到目的。

But prisons can do some things we never thought they could do.
但是监狱能够做一些我们从未想过它们能做到的事情。

Prisons can be the source of innovation and sustainability, repopulating endangered species and environmental restoration.
监狱可以是创新和可持续发展,重新繁衍濒临灭绝的物种以及环境修复之源。

Inmates can be scientists and beekeepers, dog rescuers.
囚犯可以是科学家和养蜂人,犬的救援人员。

Prisons can be the source of meaningful work and opportunity for staff and the inmates who live there.
对工作人员和犯人来说,监狱可以提供有意义的工作和机会。

We can contain and control and provide humane environments.
我们可以容纳和控制以及提供人道的环境。

These are not opposing qualities.
这些不是相对立的。

We can't wait 10 to 20 years to find out if this is worth doing.
我们不能等待10年到20年去发现这是不是值得做的。

Our strategy is not massive system change.
我们的策略不是巨大的系统改变。

Our strategy is hundreds of small changes that take place in days or months, not years.
我们的策略是让数以百计的小改变在几天或者几个月内发生,而不是几年。

We need more small pilots where we learn as we go, pilots that change the range of possibility.
我们需要更多小的试点,在前进中学习,改变可能性范围的试点。

We need new and better ways to measure impacts on engagement, on interaction, on safe environments.
我们需要新的更好的方式去衡量影响在参与上,在互动上,在安全的环境里。

We need more opportunities to participate in and contribute to our communities, your communities.
我们需要更多的机会去参与和贡献我们的社区,你们的社区。

Prisons need to be secure, yes, safe, yes.
监狱需要变得牢靠,对的,安全,对的。

We can do that.
我们能够做到。

Prisons need to provide humane environments where people can participate, contribute, and learn meaningful lives.
监狱需要提供人道主义环境人们可以参与,贡献,以及学习有意义的生活。

We're learning how to do that.
我们正在学习如何去做到那件事。

That's why I'm hopeful.
那就是我满怀希望的原因。

We don't have to stay stuck in old ideas about prison.
我们没有必要停留在对监狱老旧的观念上。

We can define that.
我们可以定义它。

We can create that.
我们可以创造它。

And when we do that thoughtfully and with humanity, prisons can be more than the bucket for failed social policy.
当我们细心地以及人道地做事,监狱可以不只是承载失败社会政策的桶。

Maybe finally, we will earn our title: a department of corrections.
也许最终,我们将会赢得我们的头衔:一个修正的部门。

Thank you.
谢谢。

视频、演讲稿均来源于TED官网

中国此地即将“0+0”全面放开,北京马拉松开跑在即

64岁院士被30多岁女博士后亲吻、北理工官宣立即调查

【英语阅读】为吸引员工返岗,英国公司允许带狗上班




在看点这里

您可能也对以下帖子感兴趣

文章有问题?点此查看未经处理的缓存