查看原文
其他

TED | 整理艺术

关注北极光翻译

学习英语,领悟翻译,沟通世界!

Introduction

来自瑞士的艺术家Ursus Wehrli可谓是将强迫症艺术发挥到了极致,他说:“在现今混乱的喧嚣中,整齐划一也是可能实现的。我们都寻求简单,人们只需稍微努力一下,那么一切都会变得美好。


演讲者:Ursus Wehrli

演讲题目:整理艺术!


https://v.qq.com/txp/iframe/player.html?vid=z0198arhywa&width=500&height=375&auto=0




中英演讲稿


1.My name is Ursus Wehrli, and I would like to talk to you this morning about my project, Tidying Up Art.

   我的名字是 UrsusWehrli﹐今天我想和你们谈谈我的作品整理艺术

2.First of all -- any questions so far?

   首先 - 有什么疑问吗﹖

3. First of all, I have to say I'm not from around here.

   首先﹐我必须说我不是来自这里

4. I'm from a completely different cultural area, maybe you noticed?

   而是来自一个文化完全不同的地方﹐你发现了吗﹖

5. I mean, I'm wearing a tie, first. And then secondly, I'm a little bit nervous because I'm speaking ina foreign language, and I want to apologize in advance, for any mistakes I might make.

你瞧﹐我打着一条领带﹐然后﹐我有一点紧张因为我说的是外国话我想先为我接下来可能会犯的错误道歉

6. because I'm from Switzerland, and I just don'thope you think this is Swiss German I'm speaking now here. This is just what it sounds like

毕竟我是从瑞士来的﹐希望你们不要觉得我说的是瑞士腔的德文这不过是一个瑞士人说美语

7. if we Swiss try to speak American.

所产生出来的声音

8.But don't worry -- I don't have trouble with English, as such.

但不用担心 - 美语对我来说没问题

9. I mean, it's not myproblem, it's your languageafter all.

毕竟这是你们的语言﹐与我无关

10. (Laughter) I am fine. After this presentation here at TED, I can simply go back to Switzerland, andyou have to go on talkinglike this all the time.

(笑声) 真的﹐反正我结束TED演讲以后﹐我回瑞士就好倒是你还得继续留在这里讲这种语言

11. (Laughter) So I've been asked by the organizers to read from my book.

(笑声) 大会要求我到这里来朗读我的书

12. It's called, Tidying Up Art and it's, as you cansee, it's more or less a picture book.

书名是整理艺术如你所见这是一本图画书

13. So the reading would be over very quickly.

所以很快就读完了

14.But since I'm here a TED, I decided to hold mytalk here in a more modern way, in the spirit of TED here, and I managed to do some slides here for you.

但既然我在TED﹐我决定用比较先进的方式来发表我的演讲以TED精神﹐我做了这些投影片

15. I'd like to show them around so we can just, you know --(Laughter)

Actually, I managed to prepare for you some enlarged pictures -- even better.

我想在这里跟你们分享﹐像这样 (笑声) 说真的﹐我也准备了一些放大图片 - 这样更好

16. So Tidying Up Art, I mean, I have to say, that's a relatively new term.

整理艺术﹐是一个非常新的名词

17. You won't be familiar with it.

你可能没有听过

18. I mean, it's a hobby of mine that I've been indulging in for the last few years, and it all started out with this picture ofthe American artist, Donald Baechler

这是我这几年来的一点小兴趣一切都从美国艺术家Donald Baechler 的作品开始。

19. I had hanging at home. I had to look at it everyday and after a while I just couldn't stand the mess anymore this guy was looking at all day long.

我家里有一幅﹐我每天看着它过了一阵子我实在受不了这种凌乱这个家伙天天这样盯着。

20.Yeah, I kind of felt sorry for him.

   我真为他感到抱歉

21. And it seemed to meeven he felt really badfacing these unorganized red squaresday after day.

   我觉得甚至他自己也不是很舒服每天都看着这些乱七八糟的红方块

22.So I decided to give him a little support, and brought some order into neatly stacking the blocks on top of each other.

于是我决定帮他一把把这些方块整齐地堆起来

23.(Laughter) Yeah. And I think he looks now less miserable.

   (笑声) 我觉得他现在看起来没这么悲惨了

24. And it was great. With this experience, I started to look more closely at modern art.Then I realized how, you know, theworld of modern art.

了这次的愉快经验以后﹐我开始更仔细地观察现代艺术我发觉﹐现代艺术的世界

25. is particularly topsy turvy.

   真是有混乱

26.And I can show you avery good example.

   让我给你一个好例子

27.It's actually a simpleone, but it's a good one to start with.

   从一个非常简单的例子开始

28. It's a picture by Paul Klee.

   这是保罗克利的作品

29.And we can see here very clearly, it's a confusion of color.

   我们可以很清楚的看到﹐颜色一篇混乱

30.(Laughter) Yeah. The artist doesn't really seemto know where to put the different colors.

   (笑声) 他好像不知道怎么把不同颜色放在一起

31.The various pictures here of the various elements of the picture -- the whole thing is unstructured.

   这里有这张作品的不同元素把它解构以后

32.We don't know, maybe Mr. Klee was probably in a hurry, I mean -- (Laughter)-- maybe he had to catch a plane, or something.

   可能当时克利先生赶时间 (笑声) 可能他正在赶一班飞机

33.We can see here hestarted out with orange, and then he already ran out of orange, and here we can see he decided to take a break for a square.

我们可以看到他从桔色开始然后慢慢用完桔色颜料这里我们可以看到他稍微休息了一格

34. And I would like to showyou here my tidied upversion of this picture.

现在看看经过我整理以后

35.(Laughter) We can see now what was barely recognizable in the original: 17 red and orange squares are juxtaposed with just two green squares.

(笑声) 我们可以看到在原本图画中看不到的十七个红色和桔色方块还有两个绿色方块捣乱

36.Yeah, that's great.

   很好

37.So I mean, that's just tidying up for beginners.

   不过那只是初级的整理罢了

38.I would like to you see a picture which is a bit more advanced.

现在我们来看看比较复杂的图片

39.(Laughter) What can you say? What a mess.

(笑声) 怎么说呢﹖乱成一团

40.I mean, you see, everything seems to have been scattered aimlessly around the space.

   所有东西都被随意的扔到这个空间里

41.If my room back home had looked this, my mother would have grounded me for three days.

   如果我的房间长这样的话我妈可是会惩罚我禁足三天的

42. So I'd like -- I'dlike to reintroduce some structure into that picture.

于是 - 让我来规范整理这张图画

43. And that's really advanced tidying up.

   这真的是很复杂的

44.(Applause) Yeah, you're right. Sometimes people clap at this point but that's actually more in Switzerland.

   (掌声) 没错﹐有些人在这里会拍手但这是比较瑞士的方式

45. (Laughter) We Swiss are famous for chocolate and cheese. Our trains run on time.

   (笑声) 我们瑞士出名的有巧克力和起司﹐火车准时

46. We are only happy when things are in order.

   一切井井有条的时候我们才会快乐

47. But to go on, here is a very good example to see.

让我们再举一些其它例子

48. This is a picture by Joan Miro.

这是米罗的作品

49. And yeah, we can see the artist has drawn a fewlines and shapes and dropped them any old way onto a yellow background.

我们可以看到他画了一些线条和形状随便地把它们画在黄色背景上

50.And yeah, it's thesort of thing you produce whenyou're doodling on the phone.

就像我们一边讲电话一边在纸上乱画的那些东西

51.(Laughter) And this ismy -- (Laughter) -- youcan see now the whole thing takes up far less space.

(笑声) 这是我的 (笑声) 你可以看到我们节省了很多空间

52.It's more economicaland also more efficient.

   经济实惠又有效率

53. With this method Mr.Miro could have saved canvasfor another picture.

米罗先生如果用这种办法的话﹐可以省下一半画面再画一幅

54.But I can see in yourfaces that you're still a little bit skeptical.

我知道你们仍然有点存疑

55.So that you can just appreciate how serious I am about all this, I brought along the patents, the specifications for some of these works,

为了证明我的认真我带来了我申请的专利﹐这些作品的规格

56. because I've had my working methods patented at the Eidgen?

 Geistiges Eigentum in Bern, Switzerland.

   我特别在瑞士的专利协会为我整理艺术的手法申请了专利

57.(Laughter) I'll just quote from the specification.

   (笑声) 让我念一段说明给你们听

58."Laut den Kunstpr Dr.Albrecht --"

   "Lautden Kunstprüfer Dr. Albrecht--"

59.It's not finished yet.

   还没结束

60."Laut den KunstprferDr.Albrecht G?tz von Ohlenhusen wird die Verfahrensweise rechtlichgeschtztwelche die Kunst durch spezifisch aufger?umteRegelm?ssigkeiten

   "Lautden Kunstprüfer Dr. Albrecht G?tzvon Ohlenhusen wird die Verfahrensweiserechtlich geschützt welche die Kunstdurch spezifisch aufger?umte Regelm?ssigkeiten

61.des allgemeinenFormenschatzes neue Wirkungen zuerzielen m?

glich wird."   desallgemeinen Formenschatzes neue Wirkungen zu erzielen m?glich wird."

62.Ja, well I could havetranslated that, but youwould have been none the

 wiser.

   是﹐当然我也可以翻译﹐但你们也不会更了解的

63.I'm not sure myselfwhat it means but it soundsgood anyway.

   连我自己都不太懂﹐至少听起来不错

64.I just realized it's important how one introduces new ideas to people,  that's why this patent are sometimes necessary.

   我刚意识到介绍一个新点子的手法是很重要的所以有时专利是必要的

65.I would like to do ashort test with you.

   我想做一个小小的试验

66.Everyone is sitting in quite an orderly fashion here this morning.

   在座的每个人都坐的很整齐

67.So I would like to ask you all to raise yourright hand. Yeah.

   现在大家举起你们的右手

68.The right hand is theone we write with, apartfrom the left-handers.

   我们用来写字的那个手﹐除了左撇子以外

69.And now, I'll count to three. I mean, it still looks very orderly to me.

   然后﹐我数到三﹐现在看起来还很整齐

70.Now, I'll count to three,and on the count ofthree I'd like you all to shake hand withthe person behind you. OK?

   当我数到三的时候你们就跟后面的那个人握手

71.One, two, three.

   一﹐二﹐三

72.(Laughter) You can see now, that's a goodexample: even be having in an orderly, systematic way can sometimes lead tocomplete chaos.

   (笑声) 诚如所见﹐这就是个很好的例子﹕就算大家都秩序井然还是有可能造成完全的混乱

73.So we can also seethat very clearly in this nextpainting.

   我们可以从以下的例子里看到

74.This is a painting bythe artist, Niki de SaintPhalle.

   画的作者是 Nikide Saint Phalle

75.And I mean, in theoriginal it's completelyunclear to see what this tangle of colors and shapesis supposed to depict.

   在这里你看不清楚这些颜色和形状画的是什么

76.But in the tidied upversion, it's plain to seethat it's a sunburnt woman

 playingvolleyball.

   经过整理以后﹐很明显﹐这是一个晒伤的女人在打排球

77.(Laughter) Yeah, it'sa -- this one here, that'smuch better.

   (笑声) 没错﹐这个更清楚

78.That's a picture byKeith Haring.

   这是 KeithHaring 的作品

79.(Laughter) I think itdoesn't matter.

   (笑声) 我想没差

80.So, I mean, thispicture has not even got aproper title.

   这幅画的名字很好

81.It's called"Untitled" and I thinkthat's appropriate.

   它就叫"无题"﹐取得真好

82.So, in the tidied-upversion we have a sort ofKeith Haring spare parts shop.

   于是经过整理以后﹐我们就可以看到这间KeithHarding 五金行

83.(Laughter) This isKeith Haring looked atstatistically.

   (笑声) 用统计学的角度来看

84.One can see here quiteclearly, you can see wehave 25 pale green elements, ofwhich one is in the form of acircle.

   我们可以很清楚的看到这里有25个浅绿色的元素有一个是圆形

85.Or here, for example, we have 27 pink squares with only one pink curve.

这里有27个粉红色的方形﹐只有一个粉红弯形

86.I mean, that'sinteresting. One could extend thissort of statistical analysis to cover allMr. Haring's various works.

   非常有趣﹐有人可以在所有Harding 先生的作品上做一些统计分析

87.in order to establishin which period the artistfavored pale green circles or pink squares.

   看看画家在各个时期对浅绿圆形和粉红方形的偏好

88.And the artist himselfcould also benefit fromthis sort of listing procedure by using it to estimatehow many pots of painthe's likely to need in the future.

   艺术家自己也可以从列出的清单中算出自己以后需要多少颜料

89.(Laughter) One canobviously also make combinations.

   (笑声) 你也可以把它们组合在一起

90.For example, with theKeith Haring circles andKandinsky's dots.

   Haring 的方形和Kandinsky 的点点

91.You can add them toall the squares of Paul Klee.

   在把它加入克利的方形

92.In the end, one has alist with which one thencan arrange.

   最后你就有一整个清单可以排列

93.Then you categorizeit, then you file it, putthat file in a filing cabinet, put it in youroffice and you can make a living doing it.

   你将它们分类﹐建档﹐最后再全部放进档案柜里放进你的办公室﹐然后就可以以此为生了

94.(Laughter) Yeah, frommy own experience. So I'm-- (Laughter) Actually, I mean, we have artists thatare a bit more structured.It's not too bad.

   (笑声) 就像我一样 (笑声) 其实也有几个艺术家是比较有条理的

95.This is Jasper Johns.We can see here he waspracticing with his ruler.

   这是Jasper Johns﹐我们可以看见他正在练习使用他的尺

96.(Laughter) But I thinkit could still benefitfrom more discipline.

   (笑声) 但我仍然觉得他可以再更有条不紊一点

97.And I think the wholething adds up much betterif you do it like this.

   把这些都加起来﹐你就可以这样做

98.(Laughter) And here,that's one of my favorites.

   (笑声) 我最喜欢的作品之一

99.Tidying up ReneMagritte -- this is really fun.

   整理 ReneMagritte  - 这真的很好玩

100.You know, there is a-- (Laughter) It has beenasked what inspired me to embark on all this.

   你看 (笑声)很多人问我是什么让我这样做的

101.It goes back to atime when I was very oftenstaying in hotels.

   这必须要追溯到﹐我时常住在旅馆的那段时间

102.So once I had theopportunity to stay in aritzy, five-star hotel.

   有一次我有机会住在丽池五星旅馆

103.And you know, thereyou had this little sign --I put this little sign outside the door every morningthat read, "Please tidyroom." I don't know if I have them over here.

你知道﹐那里有这些标语每天早上你可以放在门口请整理房间我不知道我在这里有没有

104.So actually, my roomthere hasn't been tidiedonce daily, but three times a day.

事实上﹐我的房间不只是一天整理一次﹐是一天整理了三次

105.So after a while Idecided to have a little fun,and before leaving the room each day I'd scattera few things around the space.

过了一阵子我决定开个玩笑在每天离开房间里我都会故意四处乱扔些东西

106.Like books, clothes,toothbrush, et cetera. Andit was great.

书﹐衣服﹐牙刷等等﹐很不错

107.By the time Ireturned everything had alwaysbeen neatly returned to its place.

我每次回房间的时候一切都回归原位

108.But then one morning,I hang the same littlesign onto that picture by Vincent vanGogh.

有一天早上﹐我在梵高的画上挂了这个标语

109.(Laughter) And youhave to say this room hadn'tbeen tidied up since 1888.

   (笑声) 这个房间从1888年以后就没整理过了

110.And when I returnedit looked like this.

   当我回来的时候﹐它变成了这样

111.(Laughter) Yeah, atleast it is now possible todo some vacuuming.

   (笑声) 至少现在可以吸地了

112.(Laughter) OK, Imean, I can see there are always people that like reacting that one or another picture hasn't been properly tidied up. So we can make a short test with you.

   (笑声) 我可以了解为什么有些人会对某些特殊的图画特别有感觉觉得它需要整理﹐让我们做一个小测验

113.This is a picture by Rene Magritte, and I'd likeyou all to inwardly -- like in your head, that is-- to tidy  that up. So it's possiblethat some of youwould make it like this.

   这是 ReneMagritte 的图画现在你们可以在心中把它整理一下我想你们之中的有些人可能会把它整理成这样

114.(Laughter) Yeah? I would actually prefer to do it more this way.

   (笑声) 是吗﹖但我比较喜欢把它整理成这样

115.Some people would make apple pie out of it.

   有些人会把它做成苹果派

116.But it's a very good example to see that thewhole work was more of a handicraft endeavor that involved the very time-consuming job

   但这是一个很好的例子﹐说明这是一项非常费时的手工业

117.of cutting out the various and elements stickingthem back in new arrangements.

   你得把不同元素剪下来﹐再把它重新安排

118.And it's not done, asmany people imagine, withthe computer,

otherwise it would looklike this.

   而不是像你们之中很多人想象的﹐用计算机做的不然它就会变成这样

119.(Laughter) So nowI've been able to tidy uppictures that I've wanted to tidy up fora long time.

   (笑声) 目前为止﹐我已经整理了很多我想要处理的图画

120.Here is a very goodexample. Take JacksonPollock, for example.

   就像这个Jackson Pollock 的作品

121.It's -- oh, no, it's-- that's a really hardone.

   这很困难﹐真的

122.But after a while, Ijust decided here to go allthe way and put the paint back intothe cans.

   过了一阵子﹐我决定一不做二不休把颜料全放回它们原来的地方

123.(Applause) Or youcould go intothree-dimensional art.

   (掌声) 你也可以整理3D艺术

124.Here we have the Fur Cup by Meret Oppenheim.

   Meret Oppenheim 的毛杯

125.Here I just broughtit back to its originalstate.

   让它们回到原来的模样

126.(Laughter) But yeah,and it's great, you caneven go, you know -- Or we have thispointilist movement for those of youwho are into art.

 (笑声) 真的﹐很棒﹐你甚至可以尝试如果你喜欢艺术的话﹐这是点彩画派的作品

127.The pointilist movement is that kind ofpaintings where everything is broken down into dots and pixels And then I--  thissort of thing is ideal for tidying up.

   点彩画派便是所有画都是由点和像素组成的这是最适合整理的了

128.(Laughter) So I onceapplied myself to the workof the inventor of that method, Georges Seurat, andI collected together all hisdots.

   (笑声) 这是点彩画派的创始人Georges Seurat 我把他的所有点都收集起来

129.And now they're allin here.

   它们全在这里

130.(Laughter) You can count them afterwards, if youlike.

   (笑声) 你可以晚点把它们清点一下﹐如果你想要的话

131.You see, that's thewonderful thing about thetidy up art idea: It's new. So there is no existingtradition in it.

   你知道﹐这就是整理画作的好处这是全新的﹐没有任何传统

132.There is notextbooks, I mean, not yet, anyway.

   没有教科书﹐至少现在还没有

133.I mean, it's the"future we willcreate."

   这是我们创造的未来"

134.(Laughter) But toround things up I would liketo show you just one more.

   (笑声) 最后我们再看一个例子

135.This is the villagesquare by Pieter Bruegel.

   这是由Pieter Bruegel 所画的广场

136.That's how it lookslike when you send everyonehome.

   你把每个人赶回家以后就变成这样

137.(Laughter) Yeah,maybe you're asking yourselveswhere old Brugel's  people went?

   (笑声) 但或许你会自问那这些人都去了哪里﹖

138.Of course, they'renot gone. They're all here.

   当然﹐他们还在。他们全在这里

139.(Laughter) I justpiled them up.

   (笑声) 我把他们堆了起来

140.(Laughter) So I'm --yeah, actually I'm kind offinished at that moment.

   (笑声) 嗯好﹐我差不多已经讲完了

141.And for those who want to see more, I've got my book downstairs in the bookshop.

   如果你想看其它例子﹐你可以到楼下的书店去买

142.And I'm happy to signit for you with any nameof any artist.

   我很荣幸为你签名﹐你想要我签哪个画家的名字都可以

143.(Laughter) But beforeleaving I would like toshow you, I'm working right now on another -- in arelated field with my tidyingup art method. I'm working in a related field.

   (笑声) 离开前我想给你们看一个东西最近我在做的新作品 - 和这个有关的也是整理

144.And I started tobring some order into someflags.

   我开始整理国旗

145.Here -- that's justmy new proposal here for theUnion Jack.

   你看﹐英国国旗可以变成这样

146.(Laughter) And thenmaybe before I leave you ...

   (笑声) 在我离去以前

147.yeah, I think, afteryou have seen that I have to leave anyway.

   我是说﹐我想我最好赶快离开


推荐阅读

合辑 | 双语语料库下载

合辑 1 | 双语美文 001-030

合辑 2 | 双语美文 031-050

合辑 1 | 翻译备考 | 关键词汉译英001-020

合辑 2 | 翻译备考 | 关键词汉译英 021-039

合辑 | Speak English Like An American (01-25)

语料库 | 财经金融类语料库

2017年政府工作报告

2017年李克强答记者问

语料库 | 中英对照 | 政府工作报告

翻译技术 | 如何做原文与译文对照格式?

法律翻译 | 180万字200部法律条例语料库分享

【翻译技术】实用翻译工具Search and Replace

【语料库】医学类中英对照词汇整理

【实用技术】如何把长段音频切割成几小段音频

【语料库】机械类词汇下载

【语料库】3460页234万字 txt格式政府白皮书

【语料库下载】地名、人名、机构名的翻译

干货来了:BBC经典纪录片《美丽中国》Wild China



篇篇有干货,天天有惊喜


点赞是鼓励,分享增知识!


长按以下二维码

欢迎关注“北极光翻译


长按以下二维码@小编


译员应聘请发简历至:3304541650@qq.com


  点击左下角【阅读原文】发现更多惊喜


继续滑动看下一个

您可能也对以下帖子感兴趣

文章有问题?点此查看未经处理的缓存