走遍美国(Family Album U.S.A.)- 64
长按二维码关注“苏教译林版初中英语”
免费同步辅导,免费海量资源!
走遍美国(Family Album U.S.A.)是一套采用情景英语教学法的多媒体英语教材。这套教材畅销全球35个国家。《走遍美国》倾向于美式口语的培养。故事的角色涵盖了祖孙四代,内容涉及美国各地风土人情、社会生活的许多方面。读者可以熟悉属于不同年龄层次的美式口语。剧中人物使用正常的语速说话,学习者可以充分体会口语中常用的连读、弱读等形式,养成听美语的正确习惯。
本书有26个单元(Unit),每个单元有3幕(Act),总共78课。学习方法(仅供参考):先看视频1-3遍,精读文本,再看视频,最后听录音。学英语口语,好好利用这套经典教材,剩下的就是坚持、坚持、再坚持,千万不要三天打鱼两天晒网哟
点击上方绿标即可收听音频
◆ ◆ ◆
ACT 1-1 “我左右为难。”
【故事梗概】
自从儿子出生后,Marilyn一直呆在家里照顾孩子。她一方面想回去工作,另一方面又舍不得儿子。
[Marilyn Stewart is singing a popular lullaby to her baby, Max.]
Marilyn:
Rock-a-bye, baby, on the tree top,
When the wind blows,
The cradle will rock.
When the bough breaks,
The cradle will fall,
And down will come baby,
Cradle and all.
[Marilyn is in the living room. She is looking at the fashion designs she has drawn. ]
Richard: Hi, Marilyn. What are you doing?
Marilyn: Just sketching. I've been thinking a lot about our responsibilities in the past few weeks.
Richard: I never stop thinking about them.
Marilyn: I've been wrestling with the question of whether I go back to work or not.
Richard: I see.
Marilyn: And I'm torn. I really want to go back to work, use my talents, and pursue my career in fashion design like we always thought I would. But now… I want to be with Max as a full-time mother, especially when he's a baby.
Richard: I really understand, Marilyn But you never have to worry about Max. There's Mother and Grandpa… and I can always arrange my photo schedule around your schedule, if that will help.
Marilyn: It's not the same, Richard.
Richard: Have you discussed going back to work with your boss?
【语言点精讲】
1. Marilyn Stewart is singing a popular lullaby to her baby, Max.
Marilyn Stewart在给她宝宝Max唱一首广泛流行的摇篮曲。
lullaby: 催眠曲,摇篮曲。
2. Rock-a-bye, baby, on the tree top, / When the wind blows, / The cradle will rock. / When the bough breaks, / The cradle will fall, / And down will come baby, / Cradle and all.
摇呀摇,宝贝,安睡在树梢,/刮起了风时,/小摇篮就摇。/刮断了树枝,/摇篮往下掉,/连摇篮带宝贝,/摔了一大交。
Rock-a-bye: 摇呀摇。
cradle: 摇篮。
bough: 大树枝。
3. I've been wrestling with the question of whether I go back to work or not.
我在左思右想,是否要回去工作。
wrestling with the question: 遇到难题而左思右想。
whether … or not: 是否。用whether时句尾可用or not,但以if代替whether时,比较保守的语法家认为不应加上or not。
4. And I'm torn. I really want to go back to work, use my talents, and pursue my career in fashion design like we always thought I would.
我左右为难了。我真的想回去工作,使用我的才智,像我们一直想的那样从事我时装设计的事业。
I’m torn: 我左右为难。我不确定该做怎样的决定。凡因疑难而感到焦虑或形成分裂,常可用这个表达。torn是tear的过去分词,意指两个想法把自己向不用的方向牵扯。
pursue: 追求,继续,从事。
fashion design: 时装设计。
5. I can always arrange my photo schedule around your schedule, if that will help.
再说我总是可以避开你的工作时间来安排我的摄影工作,假使这样做有用的话。
around: 表示设法安排以适应或避开。
6. It's not the same.
那是不一样的。
ACT 1-2 “你也得为你自己设想才是。”
【故事梗概】
一天前,Marilyn的雇主Rita Mae打电话来问她什么时候可以回去工作。Marilyn很难决定是选择作为一个时装设计师的职业还是选择作为一个妈妈。
Marilyn: Rita Mae called yesterday.
Richard: Ah! That's what's got you thinking, isn't it?
Marilyn: She wants to know when I think I'll be returning to the boutique.
Richard: And you said?
Marilyn: I said I'd give her an answer in a few days… that I wasn't sure.
Richard: I'm sure Rita Mae will understand and wait until you're ready to go back to work.
Marilyn: Well, maybe she will, and maybe she won't. Who knows? If I don't accept her offer, maybe she'll find someone else in the meantime, and when I'm ready to go back, there won't be a job for me.
Richard: That's something to consider. You've got yourself to think about, too.
Marilyn: But I am thinking about myself. Don't you see?
Richard: What do you mean?
Marilyn: It's not just the job. It's also my career as Max's mother. That's the way I 1ook at it. I have two career opportunities at the same time. My career as a fashion designer and my career as a mother.
Richard: I never really thought about being a mother as a career. I guess you do have two career opportunities and a decision to make.
[They hear the baby cry.]
Marilyn: I hear Max.
Richard: I'll go to him.
Marilyn: No, that's Ok. I'll do it.
【语言点精讲】
1. That's what's got you thinking, isn't it?
就是那件事勾起你的心事了,是不是?
get sb. doing: 表示使人或物开始行动。
2. If I don't accept her offer, maybe she'll find someone else in the meantime, and when I'm ready to go back, there won't be a job for me.
如果我不接受她的工作,也许她会在这段时间里另找个人,那样等到我能够回去时,就没有我的工作了。
accept her offer: accept表示“接受”,与receive表示“接到”不同。
in the meantime: 同时,在这段时间。
3. That's something to consider. You've got yourself to think about, too.
这倒是一个需要考虑的问题,你也得为你自己设想才是。
get yourself to think about: 替自己考虑,为自己设想。
4. I never really thought about being a mother as a career. I guess you do have two career opportunities and a decision to make.
我从来没有真正地把当母亲作为一种事业前途来考虑过。我想你现在有两种事业机会,需要作出一个决定来。
think about A as B: 是把A当作B来考虑。
5. I hear Max.
我听到 Max(哭了)。
全文:
"Rock-a-bye, baby, on the tree top
“摇呀摇,小宝宝,在树顶
When the wind blows
风儿轻轻吹
The cradle will rock.
摇篮跟着晃
When the bough breaks
树枝若折断
The cradle will fall
摇篮会掉落
And down will come baby
宝宝跌下来
Cradle and all."
摇篮一道摔。
Hi, Marilyn
嗨,Marilyn。
What are you doing?
你在做什么?
Just sketching.
只是画些草图。
I've been thinking a lot about our responsibilities
我对于我们的职责想了很久
in the past few weeks.
在最近几个星期。
I never stop thinking about them.
我一直在思考这些问题从未间断。
I've been wrestling
我一直左思右想
with the question of whether I go back to work or not.
为我是否回去工作这个问题。
I see.
这一下我明白了。
And I'm torn.
但我不知如何取舍。
I really want to go back to work
我真的想回去工作
use my talents
发挥我的才智
and pursue my career in fashion design
追求我在时装设计方面的事情
like we always thought I would.
就像我们一向认定的那样。
But now ...
但是现在……
I want to be with Max as a full-time mother
我又想和Max在一起做个全职的母亲
especially when he's a baby.
特别是当他还是个婴儿的时候
I really understand, Marilyn.
我真的能理解,Marilyn
But you never have to worry about Max.
但你根本不用担心Max。
There's Mother and Grandpa ...
有妈妈和祖父呢……
and I can always arrange my photo schedule
而且我也能随时安排我的摄影工作
around your schedule,
配合你的时间表,
if that will help.
假如那样有所帮助的话。
It's not the same, Richard.
那是不一样的,Richard。
Have you discussed going back to work with your boss?
你已跟你的老板讨论过回去工作的事?
Rita Mae called yesterday.
Rita Mae昨天打电话来了。
Ah! That's what's got you thinking, isn't it?
噢,就是那通电话使你开始思量起来的,是吗?
She wants to know
她想知道
when I think I'll be returning to the boutique.
我打算什么时候回去时装店工作。
And you said ... ?
那你怎么说的……?
I said I'd give her an answer in a few days ...
我说这几天给她回答……
that I wasn't sure.
我说我不能确定。
I'm sure Rita Mae will understand
我相信Rita Mae会理解
and wait until you're ready to go back to work.
而且会等你准备好了才回去工作。
Well, maybe she will, and maybe she won't.
嗯,也许她会,也许她不会。
Who knows?
谁知道?
If I don't accept her offer
假如我不接受她这个工作机会
maybe she'll find someone else in the meantime,
她也许会在这段时间找别的人
and when I'm ready to go back
而当我准备好要回去,
there won't be a job for me.
已经没有空缺了。
That's something to consider.
这是需要考虑的一点。
You've got yourself to think about, too.
你也得为自己着想。
But I am thinking about myself.
但我就是在为自己着想呀。
Don't you see?
你不知道吗?
What do you mean?
是什么意思?
It's not just the job.
不只是那项工作而已。
It's also my career as Max's mother.
当Max的母亲也是我的职业。
That's the way I look at it.
我就是这么看这件事的。
I have two career opportunities at the same time.
我同时有两个事业机会。
My career as a fashion designer
时装设计事业
and my career as a mother.
和担任Max母亲的事业。
I never really thought about being a mother as a career.
我真的从来没有想到做母亲还是一种事业。
I guess you do have two career opportunities
我想你的确是有两个事业机会
and a decision to make.
而且必须做一个抉择。
I hear Max.
我听到Max哭了。
I'll go to him.
我去。
No, that's OK.
不,没关系。
I'll do it.
我去。
往期链接:
-END-
免责申明:本音频、视频和相关素材来源于网络等公共合法渠道,仅供学习者免费使用,不得以任何理由在商业行为中使用,版权归原作者所有,如有侵权请联系删除!