BBC地道英语|Suck it and see 试试看
提示:点击↑上方"小芳老师"免费关注哦
Welcome to The English We Speak. I’m Feifei.
欢迎收听地道英语。我是菲菲。
And I’m Neil.
我是尼尔。
And Neil, this might be the last ever time we see each other! All ready for your new job at… where was it again?
尼尔,这可能是我们最后一次见到彼此了!为新工作做好准备了吧……再问一次,是在哪儿来着?
A sweet factory.
一家糖果厂。
Quite a big change from radio production.
从广播节目制作到糖果厂,确实是一个很大的改变啊。
Yeah, well they pay very well. And I love sweets. I’ll just suck it and see.
是啊,他们给的薪资很高。而且我爱糖果。我会吮吸它,然后再看。
Suck… the sweets?
吮吸……糖果?
No, you know what I mean!
不是,你懂我的意思的!
Yes, just kidding. The phrase suck it and see is used when you do something new and you’re not sure whether you will like it or not – like a new job.
对,开个玩笑啦。当你要做一件新的事情,但却不确定自己是否喜欢它时,就可以用“试试看”这个短语,比如说要做一份新工作时。
Here are some examples:
这儿有一些例子:
I’m really not confident riding a bike in the centre of town. But all my friends do it, so I guess I’ll just suck it and see.
对于在市中心骑自行车这件事,我真的不是很有信心。但我的朋友们都能做到,所以我觉得我也要试试看。
I decided to dye my hair blonde, but I’m still not sure about it. I’ll suck it and see. I can always dye it black again!
我决定把我的头发染成金色,但我还不确定。我会试试看。反正我能把它再染回黑色!
Well, you’ll be pleased to hear Neil isn’t really leaving.
听到尼尔并不是真的要走,你们应该会很高兴。
I realised I can explore my passion for sweets without actually working in a sweet factory. In fact, I have some right here.
我意识到,就算不真的去糖果厂工作,我也能够探索我对于糖果的热情。其实,我这儿就有一些糖果。
Ooh, lovely. Very bright colours. Mind if I…?
噢,太可爱啦。很鲜艳的颜色哦。你介意我……?
Please, try one.
请尝一颗吧。
What flavours are they?
它们是什么味道的呀?
I’ve got no idea. You’ll just have to…
我也不知道。你只需要……
Suck it and see! Mmm…
试试看!嗯……
As Feifei is busy, I’ll say goodbye for both of us. Good-bye.
菲菲正忙着吃,那我就替我俩跟大家说再见啦。再见。
往期听力
BBC地道英语|Down in the dumps 心情跌入谷底
BBC地道英语|Down in the dumps 心情跌入谷底
BBC地道英语|A busman‘s holiday 照常工作的节假日
BBC地道英语|Left, right, and centre 到处,四面八方
BBC地道英语|A sting in the tail 不愉快的结局